XXI Olympic Winter Games

WJMorris3

Canada wins gold in mens curling! :flagcanada:

Sure, other countries have more medals, but we've got the most gold!

We own the top of the podium! :woot:

If we manage to win Gold tomorrow in Mens Hockey, we will become the first nation to ever win 14 Gold Medals!

The pressure gets even bigger for Team Canada!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finland was down 3-1 at the start of the 3rd Period. They just scored 3 Goals in 3:55 to take a 4-3 lead with 11 minutes left in the Bronze Medal Game.

EDIT: Finland avenges their thrashing at the hands of the USA and unleash 4 Unanswered to beat Slovakia and win the Bronze Medal.

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

Finland was down 3-1 at the start of the 3rd Period. They just scored 3 Goals in 3:55 to take a 4-3 lead with 11 minutes left in the Bronze Medal Game.

The end of the game was so similar to the way the Canadian game ended last night. So much Slovak pressure, they had many chances but were unable to put the puck in the net.

Finland gets the Bronze just like their female counterparts.

Now if only USA and Canada will also do exactly what the Women did, I will be a very happy boy :flagcanada:

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Let's get's ready to rumble tomorrow is truly ''The Border War''

As well just some speculation but for Canada's Flag Bearer I think it might be Joannie Rochette just after what she went through and her magical Bronze Medal Skate. Though I don't think you can go wrong with anyone everyone deserves it.

Also Alex Bilodeau first Canadian Gold Medalist on home soil could be another possibility.

Β 

Β 

Today's the day I've been waiting for for 8 years. In 2002 I missed the gold medal game in Salt Lake because I had a hockey game to play in myself. I was bummed to come out of the locker room to see the Canadians winning. Hopefully, today's a different story. This will be great for hockey fans everywhere regardless of who wins

:smileyusa::unclesam::flagusa: VS. :flagcanada:

PvO6ZWJ.png

Any truth to the rumor that Chris will have all American IP addresses blocked if the U.S. wins this afternoon?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Charles Hamelin looks to be the one to carry the Flag for Canada tonight. Fitting as he was the only 2 Time Gold Medalist for Canada in these games.

But the COC denies this so will have to wait and see.

Β 

Β 

Ohno could be DQed or not. My problem is with the enforcement. That type of contact is made frequently. It should be a DQ all the time, or it should not. Only calling it a DQ when a skater falls is terrible. It's the same as handing down a suspension based on a resulting injury instead of the actual act. Have rules and enforce them uniformly.

Anytime your arm extends fully and you touch another skater you get disqualified, no ifs and or buts.

This isn't true, though it may be the letter of the law. It just lacks consistent enforcement. I've watched plenty of speed-skating this year, and it's simply not called every time, that's all.

What's more is Ohno didn't extend his arm. The angle of his elbow never changed.

But do we ever get consistent enforcement in sports where we rely on humans to enforce the rules? In baseball, strike zones are never consistent. In hockey, one referee might call something a penalty where another would not. In basketball, one ref might every ticky-tack foul, while another will just let them play.

It's just something that comes with the territory, and all you can ask the officials to do is try to be consistent and make the best calls they can based on the information they are given.

1972, 1987, 2002 ... These were all years that are remembered by Canadians for the triumphs Canada had in hockey.

With a win this afternoon we will be able to add 2010 to that list.

What an epic game we have before us ... we will be talking about this one forty years from now.

I predict a 4-1 Team Canada, with the fourth goal being an empty netter. A little biased I know :flagcanada:

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Oh get over yourselves. Every year is a triumph for Canadian hockey because you're the only country on the face of the earth that genuinely gives a damn about the game. You don't need some corruption-drenched phony-baloney all-star game to validate Canada's hockey supremacy.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

For the next several hours, i hate Canada and all of it's inhabitants. :P

Well, it'll be nice to have some company :P

O Canada

Our home and native land

True patriot love

In all thy sons' command

With glowing hearts we see thee rise

The true north strong and free

From far and wide O Canada

We stand on guard for thee

O Canada, glorious and free

O Canada we stand on guard for thee

O Canada we stand on guard for thee.

*Edited to original lyrics, taking out references to that "God" fellow.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

GAME PREVIEW

can_large.png vs. usa_large.png

lg-vancouver2010_16d-aJ.gif

taleheader.jpg

Team Canada (4W 1L 1OW OL) Previous Results:

CAN 8 | Nor 0

CAN 3 | Swi 2 / SO

Can 3 | USA 5

CAN 8 | Ger 2

CAN 7 | Rus 3

CAN 3 | Slo 2

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey/schedule-and-results/men_ihm400000nCAN-vtour_team_stats-Ge.html

Team USA (5W 0L 0OW 0OL) Previous Results:

USA 3 | Swi 1

USA 6 | Nor 1

USA 5 | Can 3

USA 2 | Swi 0

USA 6 | Fin 1

For Individual Statistics: http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey/schedule-and-results/men_ihm400000nUSA-vtour_team_stats-SF.html

USA vs Canada: The rubber match

The Globe and Mail

By Roy MacGregor, The Globe and Mail Posted Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:50 PM ET

VANCOUVER - Think of it as "The Rubber Match."

That's what Team Canada head coach Mike Babcock calls it - the deciding game in world hockey supremacy in a winter in which the United States captured the World Junior Championship, Canadian women retained their gold medal and, today, the United States and Canada will meet to decide the Olympic champion in men's hockey.

The North American rivals met once before, 2002 in Salt Lake City, with 10.6-million Canadians tuning in to see a game that actually wasn't much of a match, Canada winning easily 5-2.

Many more millions will surely watch today - and much more is expected of the game.

Back in 2002 a fluke bounce by Belarus put the best team in the tournament, Sweden, out. But no such argument exists this year. After Canada's 7-3 bashing of pre-tournament favourite Russia, after little Slovakia dumped defending champion Sweden, and after unbeaten U.S.A. nuked Finland 6-1, there can be no debate as to whether the two best teams, the two most-deserving teams, are in the final.

And so, before the puck drops, let us count the ways in which one team might be superior to the other:

Goaltending: U.S.A.'s Ryan Miller is the goaltender of these Olympic games. Second place would go to Switzerland's Jonas Hiller, third to Slovakia's Jaroslav Halak. That leaves Canada somewhat down the line. Martin Brodeur played in Canada's 5-3 loss to U.S.A. one week ago and hasn't played since. Hometown hero Roberto Luongo had an easy time against Germany (the team that never attacks) and seemingly so against Slovakia right up until the dying minutes. The weak goal he let leak in the side brought all the old can-he-win-the-big-game questions up all over again. Advantage U.S.A. - at least until Luongo proves he can win a big one.

Defence: This is surely the most fluid area of measure, as so much seems to change each game. Canada's Dan Boyle was thought to be a mistake in the early games but against Germany and Slovakia he suddenly raised his game - including defence - to new levels. U.S.A. has youth - the two Johnsons, Erik and Jack, Ryan Suter and Tim Gleason - but also one old man, 36-year-old Brian Rafalski, who has played brilliantly and personally put Canada on the ropes last week. Canada, however, has depth and rising superstar Drew Doughty. If Duncan Keith and Shea Weber continue their standard of play, it's advantage Canada.

Attack: Normally, we would be talking about Sidney Crosby and Jarome Iginla, but Crosby has been quiet on the scoresheet, if still good on the ice, and Iginla has faded in and out of focus like cheap binoculars. It's been the footsoldiers carrying most of the attack, which is admirable but also a bit worrisome. U.S.A.'s Patrick Kane put on the display of the Olympics against Finland, seemingly stickhandling at will through pylons. Zach Parise (Canadian blood, U.S. passport) is a pure scorer. Advantage slightly U.S.A.

Irritants: U.S.A.'s Dustin Brown drew two Finland penalties in the early going Friday and his team scored on both power plays to effectively end the game before anyone had even perspired. But Canada's Mike Richards and Brenden Morrow have continually driven other teams to distraction with their forechecking and little-guy big hits. Advantage Canada.

Speed: This was the difference maker in the World Juniors. U.S.A. has Kane, Paul Stastny, Phil Kessel, Bobby Ryan, Parise, Ryan Callahan. Canada has its own speed, but not nearly the (ital)quickness(end ital) that the young Americans possess. Advantage slightly U.S.A.

Calm: We have seen both teams in full panic mode - potentially disastrous for any team. The Canadians seemed completely shell-shocked in the dying minutes of Friday's 3-2 win over Slovakia. The sense was inescapable that if the game had gone on two more minutes, or if the Slovaks had started their challenge a couple of minutes earlier, the game would have gone into overtime, where anything can happen. The Americans have panicked only once, and that was in the third period against Canada when it seemed Canada had a five-man advantage and only Miller stood between them and a comeback victory. Given that the Americans panicked when the Canadians attacked, it has to be advantage Canada.

Coaching: Both Babcock and U.S.A. head coach Ron Wilson have healthy egos - they can both sound at times as if they invented the game - but Wilson's ran off with his Friday when, in a press conference, he began reading his own resume off to reporters. Truth is, coaching at this stage means practically nothing. The players will decide the game on their own. Advantage neither.

Luck: In the end, when two teams are so close, the deciding factor is often chance. A bounce here, a whiff there, heart-stopping for both sides. Advantage fans.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

The cauldron malfuncton is excusable -- but we Americans can NEVER forgive you for Nickelback.

I'm willing to start negotiations on behalf of Canada on this.

Negotiations must have fallen through...

Nickelback is rumored to be performing at tonight's Closing Ceremony

I hope they trot out Nelly Furtado and her fantastic behind again to make up for Nickelback.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived