XXI Olympic Winter Games

WJMorris3

Why do I have a feeling Sid the Kid is going to eclipse Eric Staal's mark as youngest member of Triple Gold this year?

Triple gold?...

Stanley Cup

Olympic Gold

World Championship

Would Crosby play in a WC?

The Stanley Cup is gold?

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So on Detroit TV here they are calling the Gold Medal Game the biggest hockey game ever.

I am guessing...

USA/USSR 1980

All are "bigger games" than today's game.

-Dan

For the 329347th time, that was a semifinal game.

I didn't say it was the Gold Medal game... Just a "bigger game"

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

So on Detroit TV here they are calling the Gold Medal Game the biggest hockey game ever.

I am guessing...

USA/USSR 1980

-Dan

Oh. Right. I knew that. :D

6uXNWAo.png

I am guessing...

USA/USSR 1980

-Dan

Not in the truest sense though. Regardless of the result of that game, the United States was playing Finland in the second game. Besides, "biggest games" do not need to be for a championship.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I am guessing...

USA/USSR 1980

-Dan

Not in the truest sense though. Regardless of the result of that game, the United States was playing Finland in the second game. Besides, "biggest games" do not need to be for a championship.

Thats why I included it on my list.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

So uhm how does it feel to be dominated? Just so we're clear.

Where was the domination? It was a 3-2 game.

I know. I was responding to that sig that was made, when the States beat Canada. "The one that said how does it feel to be dominated."

In all seriousness though, the Americans played Great, and could have taken it easily. That Parise is something else.

Hi, how are you?

Well at least we have a golden hat... :P

And of all the people to score that goal, why the hell did it have to be Sidney freaking Crosby?

That Canada's hero junk got real old early in the Olympics, and now that he actually is, it might just become insufferable. Crosby was advertised and hyped up enough. This is going to make it all the worse. Ugh

And just as a side note, the Anaheim Ducks lead the NHL medal count with 7 players taking home medals. Getzlaf, Perry, Niedermayer with Gold. Whitney, Bobby Ryan with Silver. Selanne, Koivu with Bronze. That's pretty cool, I guess. And then along with Hiller having a tremendous Olympics.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Good for Canada. Those poor hayseeds really have no lives outside hockey anyway, so it meant more to them, lol.

rolleyes

Oh get over yourselves. Every year is a triumph for Canadian hockey because you're the only country on the face of the earth that genuinely gives a damn about the game. You don't need some corruption-drenched phony-baloney all-star game to validate Canada's hockey supremacy.

rolleyes

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't get to see too much top level Ice Hockey, but that gold medal game seemed like a really good match! Competitive, spirited, hard tough Ice Hockey, but with some great moments of skill. I thought that overall Canada deserved to win, not sure that 'dominated' seems quite right for it, mind.

And Crosby really seems to have a great players sense of the moment as well. Invisible for 60 minutes, then BANG, gets the game winner.

Today we are all Canadians! :flagcanada:

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I am guessing...

USA/USSR 1980

-Dan

So what?

Using just games that relate specifically to me, Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS was the best baseball game I ever witnessed and trumped any of the World Series games that year. But it was just for the pennant, not the World Championship.

The 2005 Elite 8 game of Arizona vs. Illinois with the huge late comeback by the Illini is consistently ranked one of the top 5 college basketball games ever. It was just to get to the Final Four.

It's unscientific, but it's always been my feeling that the best games always seem to be in the "game before the game". Doesn't make them any less big or awesome. (Okay, it kinda does as in they could have been even bigger, but it doesn't put a damper on what they were.)

Additionally, everybody knows that the Miracle On Ice game was not just big because of what it meant in the tournament. You can try to remove all the other aspects from that game, but I don't think it's fair to do so. That game meant a lot more.

I am guessing...

USA/USSR 1980

-Dan

Oh. Right. I knew that. :D

If you just interpreted what he was stating when you pointed that out, then please disregard any negative tones that might come toward you from my post above.

Archived