2009-10 NHL Season Part 2

NEW.ERA

How much is Tippett getting paid? Do we know? While yes, he did get fired (which surprised me, since it seemed like his gig was a solid one), I would have to think that his solid resume with the Stars would command at least a modest salary. If firings significantly reduced the value of NHL head coaches, you could hire them to cut your grass, because even respected accomplished coaches get fired all the time. Hell, I'm surprised they didn't spring for Keenan. Anyway, it really just gets back to how disappointing it is that this bankrupt team had carte blanche to snatch up a really good coach while my poor old Expos were stuck with Frank Robinson falling asleep in the dugout. It goes to show how the leagues can manipulate the results of their welfare cases. It annoys me a ton because obviously I wanted the condemned team to succeed (Quebec is cool) and the protected team to fail (Arizona isn't). I sure can't choose a winner.

It does have to be said that Gretzky did do a piss-poor job with hockey operations. What a horrible decision on his part to get involved with that mess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the admiral, how is Quebec cool and Arizona isn't?

Quebec City's annual average temperature is 40 degrees fahrenheit

Phoenix's annual average temperature is 72.6 degrees fahrenheit

PvO6ZWJ.png

Man we're never gonna hear the end of it after that disallowed goal from the flyers (even though it was the right call).

Im more concerned that when Crosby throws a legal check on Hartnell, both happen to lose their balance and fall down, and Hartnell gets a penalty? Confusing, not surprising.

It's more or less always been this way. In the old days, it was 2:00 minutes for touching Gretzky.

It goes to show how the leagues can manipulate the results of their welfare cases. It annoys me a ton because obviously I wanted the condemned team to succeed (Quebec is cool) and the protected team to fail (Arizona isn't). I sure can't choose a winner.

This brings up a good point - the inherent difference between the two situations, and between the two leagues as wholes. MLB could afford to completely tank the Expos to serve the needs of one promising owner (Henry) and one really, truly horrible one (Loria), because, well, what do they care if they salt the Earth in Montreal? They're not going back there ever. Hell, MLB could kill off all Canadian interest in their sport as a whole, and in the grand scheme of things, that's barely a nick. They're still going to see teams like the Padres and Rangers command $300 million and up when they go up for sale.

The NHL, however, has no such luxury. Say they went all Expos on Phoenix, and let the team plummet into oblivion, barely keeping up appearances while drawing UHL-size crowds (Fort Wayne excluded). The team's market value is going to plummet, and unlike in baseball, there really isn't a floor to team value in the NHL, because it is a second-tier major sport. The NHL could find itself left with a franchise commanding a mere pittance on the open market - think high-7 to low-8 figures - and left with little-to-no influence over where that team would relocate. And unlike MLB, the damage here isn't isolated to a single franchise. Letting the Coyotes go to pieces also damages the Thrashers, Panthers, Predators, and Islanders, and probably even healthier teams like the Stars, Ducks, Kings, Blues, probably even the Oilers and Flames. In the long-term, it almost behooves the NHL to prop up the Coyotes, for the sake of the health of the league as a whole.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Man we're never gonna hear the end of it after that disallowed goal from the flyers (even though it was the right call).

Im more concerned that when Crosby throws a legal check on Hartnell, both happen to lose their balance and fall down, and Hartnell gets a penalty? Confusing, not surprising.

As Bob Errey said "Hartnell got penalized for being on the ice". I did find it kind of amusing just because I despise Hartnell, but on the whole it was a pretty sad call.

Well at least you guys realize it.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Aside from it not being much larger than the Garden, why is Arthur Ashe Tennis Stadium never brought into the discussion for a Winter Classic location? In looking at the place the sight lines seem to be way better than any of the other stadiums they have used in the past.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Aside from it not being much larger than the Garden, why is Arthur Ashe Tennis Stadium never brought into the discussion for a Winter Classic location? In looking at the place the sight lines seem to be way better than any of the other stadiums they have used in the past.

I don't think hockey rinks fit on tennis courts. The Suns had a game at Indian Wells and I recall that being a tight fit. I doubt they'd be allowed to knock seating out to shoehorn a rink in, or play on a basketball court-sized rink.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think hockey rinks fit on tennis courts. The Suns had a game at Indian Wells and I recall that being a tight fit. I doubt they'd be allowed to knock seating out to shoehorn a rink in, or play on a basketball court-sized rink.

Arthur_ashe_stadium_basketball_court.jpg

Yeah... no way in hell a rink is fitting in there.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Caps are in "San Jose Sharks" mode vs. Ottawa, down 3-1 in the first.

I just hope my Desert Doggies don't contract this habit.

Disaster temporarily averted as Caps have tied the Sens with 6:15 left in the 2nd.

Yea not in using the court floor. I just measured using google earth and the floor is 130 X 75. While they could elevate it, it would then make it to small. I didn't realize the floor at AATS was that small.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I know this picture isn't Conseco fieldhouse, but that place in Indianapolis where the Pacers play has always struck me as just a tennis stadium with a roof. Though it's probably a little bigger than that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I know this picture isn't Conseco fieldhouse, but that place in Indianapolis where the Pacers play has always struck me as just a tennis stadium with a roof. Though it's probably a little bigger than that.

Conseco is the only NBA arena I have ever been to. What a fantastic building. They did such a great job of showcasing the local basketball history in all of the concourses. I really hope the Pens do as good a job with CEC. I was so disappointed in the St. Pete Times Forum (went there for the first time two weeks ago), very bland and dingy on the inside. My only complaint with Conseco is that it is really steep in the upper deck. My wife started to feel dizzy it was so steep, we had to move down a few rows to infront of a railing for her.

Archived