LeBron to officially wear No. 6 next season

AJM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I'm not so sure. He's already one of, if not the, most recognizable basketball player in the world. How much more press does he need? Would it be possible for him to receive any more media attention they he currently has? We're logo/uniform geeks, we care that he's changing a number. Other then having to buy a new jersey (if they're James or Cavs fans), most sports fans won't really care about a change in number.

You can criticize his reasoning for wanting to retire #23 as silly, and you may have a point there. Still, I think he's sincere in his reasoning for this.

can we all sort of agree that retiring a number league wide was a momentous thing done by MLB for jackie back in 1997, but since then has seemed disingenuous? for example, baseball didn't retire babe ruth's number because he defined greatness in his sport a la gretzky. they did it because he did something that trascended the game.

nevertheless, i don't see the big deal. it is interesting that basketball stars seem more inclined to change their number more than any other sport without switching teams. assuming lebron stays in cleveland, you'll have arguably the game's two biggest players both essentially rebranding themselves within a 5 year span or so.

conspiracy theory: could this all just be a ploy to create nike merchandise and a new LB6 logo in anticipation of moving to a different team? while filing the paperwork creates the appearance he'll be remaining with the same team and just changing numbers? so when people like us get our hands on new nike lebron logos and go "OH MY GOD! he didn't file paperwork to change his number! he's going somewhere else!" he isn't left holding the bag? and then even if he does decide to stay in cleveland, nike can put the new 6 logo on stuff and pitch it to consumers with a package like "new contract. new era. new number." or some bull like that?

sig2024.png

I really don't see the big deal in the NHL's decision to retire Gretzky's number league wide. He's probably the greatest player to ever play the game. Did he do anything close to what Jackie Robinson did? No, but I don't recall the NHL ever pretending he did.

.just ONE, the ONE he grew up idolizing. LeBron James wanted to be like Mike. LeBron is 25 years old.

Lebron James doesn't even remember Jordan outside of highlight reels.

Guarantee you that. So let's stop with the "grew up idolizing" nonsense. Lebron's era was Penny Hardaways and Kobes. Not Jordan.

.just ONE, the ONE he grew up idolizing. LeBron James wanted to be like Mike. LeBron is 25 years old.

Guarantee you that. So let's stop with the "grew up idolizing" nonsense. Lebron's era was Penny Hardaways and Kobes. Not Jordan.

He's only three years older then me (wow, I'm depressed now), and I remember Jordon.

brand.gif and the logo? will he change it?

Ah, the logo that was stolen from me when I was about 17. Still upsets me, but what can you do? They added a crown. Ha.

Ah, this explains your last post. You're either insane or bull :censored:ting us. Good to know.

You would have been 4 years old when J was huge... come on now...

You, just like Lebron remember shoes and highlights. That's all.

And yes- I created almost an identical logo- minus the crown Lebron's last year in HS. It was green to match the HS colors. I had it on Cafepress.com. Later... lo'and behold, it's dawned as his logo. The font has been tweaked slightly. That's it.

.just ONE, the ONE he grew up idolizing.  LeBron James wanted to be like Mike.  LeBron is 25 years old.

I'm four years younger than LeBron and I very clearly remember watching Jordan and the Bulls win their six NBA Finals in the 90s.

You would have been 4 years old when J was huge... come on now...

You, just like Lebron remember shoes and highlights. That's all.

I remember the '97 and '98 NBA Finals very vividly. I was 10 and 11 during those years. They may have been MJ's last two seasons of greatness, but he was still the top player in the world. LeBron's extra three years means he got a little bit more of Jordon's years on top then I did. So I can see how he could have looked up to him. Jordon may not have been the face of the NBA when LeBron was growing up, but I think it's fair to say that Jordon's success was what inspired him to get into basketball. Nothing wrong with wanting to honour the man because of that.

I will concede, however, that he should probably lay off trying to get other players to stop wearing #23. That's their own decision to make, not his.

And yes- I created almost an identical logo- minus the crown Lebron's last year in HS. It was green to match the HS colors. I had it on Cafepress.com. Later... lo'and behold, it's dawned as his logo. The font has been tweaked slightly. That's it.

If there was any truth to that you could have successfully taken him and Nike to court when they introduced that logo.

I was like 17, the cafepress logo vanished- and do you really think some middle classed kid is going to take Nike to court... and win? No thanks. I'll keep the small amount of money I have. To think Nike doesn't steal logos is like thinking Microsoft doesn't steal code. And no one can take them. They're corporate powers. They have attorneys just for that alone.

Anyway- It's kind of like when you create a joke, then hear it on TV. You can get upset about it and say they stole it, or just write it off as coincidence and move on. No one will know one way or another.

And ok, young guys. You saw Jordan when you barely knew him finishing his career. I can't imagine how different that is. I'm not THAT much older, but still consider myself lucky to have barely been old enough to catch the Jordan legacy.

Is your head up your ass or something? LeBron has SAID as much. It's not like I'm making it up.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I really don't see the big deal in the NHL's decision to retire Gretzky's number league wide. He's probably the greatest player to ever play the game. Did he do anything close to what Jackie Robinson did? No, but I don't recall the NHL ever pretending he did.

I think the NHL should retire #4 as well if only to make defensemen happy.

Bobby-Orr.jpg

They could also retire a goalie's number too, but that would be a little harder because 80% of goalies wear one of about 5 numbers.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Is your head up your ass or something? LeBron has SAID as much. It's not like I'm making it up.

Oh. Lebron said it.

It's true then.

My fault.

.just ONE, the ONE he grew up idolizing.  LeBron James wanted to be like Mike.  LeBron is 25 years old.

Is your head up your ass or something?  LeBron has SAID as much.  It's not like I'm making it up.

Oh. Lebron said it.

It's true then.

My fault.

Don't you think LeBron might know himself a little better than you do?

And just because someone is very young doesn't mean they can't forever remember something. There are many things I experienced when I was 3-4 years of age that I still vividly remember, and will always remember. If Jordan really left a major impression upon LeBron, then I'm sure he'll always remember how great he was.

Archived