LeBron to officially wear No. 6 next season

AJM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone mentioned this before...

He says people should stop wearing #23 in honor of M.J., yet he has no problem wearing #6, the number of Bill Russell, arguably the greatest player to ever play the game. Jordan made the NBA internationally recognized, but it was Russell who put the game on the map in the first place.

Yeah, Russell put a really crappy league on the map. He was the best player of his time, but his time really wasn't very good. Nobody watches Russell's Celtics beat up on the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons in a high school gym and says "oh, good God, there's never gonna be anyone like Bill Russell ever again," except maybe some scattered dumbass Celtics fans. Not even Bill freakin' Simmons, patron saint of proctocranial self-involved New Englanders, thinks Bill Russell is better than Michael. C'mon, man.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ah another ploy to sell more jerseys, make up a fake reason to switch numbers and let people bask in the glory that is your decision to honor a player again or whatever.

When I think of #23 I see Jordan, #66 Lemieux, #68 Jagr, #87 Crosby, #99 Gretzky...some players own a numbers, LeBron could have done that from the start but nope, he went with a legend's number. Like Kobe changing his, just another way to sell more merch and earn more coin.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Ah another ploy to sell more jerseys, make up a fake reason to switch numbers and let people bask in the glory that is your decision to honor a player again or whatever.

When I think of #23 I see Jordan, #66 Lemieux, #68 Jagr, #87 Crosby, #99 Gretzky...some players own a numbers, LeBron could have done that from the start but nope, he went with a legend's number. Like Kobe changing his, just another way to sell more merch and earn more coin.

Players do not directly benefit from merchandise sales, however. It goes into a league-wide pool that is distributed to teams and then players based on seniority.

6fQjS3M.png

It helps that Jagr and Crosby wear numbers that not many other atheletes wear. I'd argue that Lemieux owns 66 not only in the eyes of hockey fans, but in the eyes of most sports fans as well. Jagr wouldn't really be in the discussion if not for his odd number (not that he didn't have great years, but he's just not that compelling of a figure). Crosby is probably nearing Lemieux territory among hockey fans, but has a long way to go before he's in the same class as Jorday and Gretzky. It would help for him to be on TV more and work on his charisma (if that's something that can really be worked on.)

In addition to 6 being Bill Russell's number, it's also Dr. J.'s number, and while I don't think you could argue that he was the best of all time, he's certainly in that top tier of all time greatest players. If LeBron's motivation was to preserve numbers to honor great players, he should have gone with some obscure number that only he would ever be associated with.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lame. And unfair to the family living on 14 bucks an hour who went "crazy" to buy their kid a replica LeBron jersey at Christmas. But it makes money. The only way it could lose money is bad PR, and as the Kobe situation showed, there is not really any backlash.

It also messes, at least a little, with his own legacy...with which number will he be associated?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Lame. And unfair to the family living on 14 bucks an hour who went "crazy" to buy their kid a replica LeBron jersey at Christmas. But it makes money. The only way it could lose money is bad PR, and as the Kobe situation showed, there is not really any backlash.

It also messes, at least a little, with his own legacy...with which number will he be associated?

The sum amounts on his bank account$. ^_^

(Someone posted upthread that players don't directly profit from merch sales...but I'm sure LBJ might see some residuals from this, eventually.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The critism of LeBron here is just laughably silly.

He's not trying to honor ALL great players...just ONE, the ONE he grew up idolizing. LeBron James wanted to be like Mike. LeBron is 25 years old. He didn't grow up in the era of Bill Russell or the era of Dr. J. LeBron was born in 1984. Dr. J's last year was 1987. Bill Russell's last year was 1969. You think he saw them play? Saw them in commercials? Had posters of them on his walls? Neither of those guys are considered, rightly or wrongly, the best player of all time.

Whatever. Go ahead and hate/criticise, because that's what we as people do best. I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still dumb.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

He's not trying to honor ALL great players...just ONE, the ONE he grew up idolizing. LeBron James wanted to be like Mike. LeBron is 25 years old. He didn't grow up in the era of Bill Russell or the era of Dr. J. LeBron was born in 1984. Dr. J's last year was 1987. Bill Russell's last year was 1969. You think he saw them play? Saw them in commercials? Had posters of them on his walls? Neither of those guys are considered, rightly or wrongly, the best player of all time.

Whatever. Go ahead and hate/criticise, because that's what we as people do best. I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still dumb.

Yes, I have to agree with this. Many numbers could have been worn by many great players, there comes a point where you can't honor ALL of them, there won't be any available numbers left. Honoring MJ, the greatest player that the majority of NBA fans have ever seen in their lifetimes is appropriate. He's actully doing this for a reason, unlike Kobe Bryant's change just to do it for jersey sales or personal reasons and not to honor any one person (also rumored he chose 24 to 1-up LeBron and MJ which wouldn't surprise me from the huge ego he has).

#6 was his Olympic number, so it has meaning to him personally.

I just wonder how it will be accepted to honor MJ in Cleveland, unless he's not staying.

If there is ANY single number to be retired league-wide, it should be #23 for MJ.

87Redskins.png

If there is ANY single number to be retired league-wide, it should be #23 for MJ.

Why?

Sure, he was a good player. But what exactly did Jordan ever do to deserve having his number retired by the entire league?

Then again, I think the NHL retiring #99 League-wide bordered on farcical. This would be right along the same lines.

And yes, I think it is very plausible that LeBron is doing this (at least in part) to promote himself. Public "modesty" is very often self-serving.

Why?

Sure, he was a good player. But what exactly did Jordan ever do to deserve having his number retired by the entire league?

Then again, I think the NHL retiring #99 League-wide bordered on farcical. This would be right along the same lines.

And yes, I think it is very plausible that LeBron is doing this (at least in part) to promote himself. Public "modesty" is very often self-serving.

This was the basis for my statement. I said "IF" they ever felt the desire to do so, #23 would be it. Never said I agreed with it. It does make far more sense than MLB's #42 retirement. If they really felt the need to do so, they should have retired #42 in the NL and Larry Doby's #14 in the AL. I don't understand the whole "skin color" and "cultural" thing that MLB has been doing overboard over the last decade (the HR Derby with only Hispanic countries was a horrible idea), they were great players on their own merits. What would be said if the NBA decided to honor their greatest white players at al All Star game because there are fewer of them in the league?

87Redskins.png

Michael Jordan makes more sense than Jackie Robinson? That's going to be a hard argument to make.

Jackie Robinson is an instrumental figure in American society. Not for his specific on-field accomplishments, but for what he represented: a fundamental challenge to an unjust American society. His perserverence, and that of his teammates, helped right a centuries-old wrong and bring our country just that little bit closer to actually realizing our national ideals.

Sure, MJ was a good basketball player. But that's it. What the heck did Michael Jordan ever do for anybody other than Michael Jordan?

My "hating" has nothing to do with which player(s) wore which number(s) or any "honoring" or lackthereof. I just don't like the idea that all the replicas, authentics, etc. become outdated because he wishes to change numbers. I also think that while it will not damage a player's legacy, it will water down his identity.

Of course, if he ends up in New York, then it matters far less.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

He's actully doing this for a reason, unlike Kobe Bryant's change just to do it for jersey sales or personal reasons and not to honor any one person (also rumored he chose 24 to 1-up LeBron and MJ which wouldn't surprise me from the huge ego he has).

Not only did Bryant take 24, but his olympic number was 10, one greater than MJ's 9. I was hoping James would take number 25.

LeBron can do whatever he wants, obviously, but I always wondered why he wore #23. From him entering the league it was known he would be a superstar. I would have thought he would want to make a number "his own" from the start, especially considering #23 is tied to one player more than any number in any other sport. I don't mind the likes of Marcus Camby wearing #23, but it never seemed right for LeBron. I wouldn't look into this as LeBron deciding to stay with the Cavs, either. I imagine he hasn't decided yet, just covering the bases.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Jigga, your namesake and Kanye have been perpetuating the "hater" myth far past its expiration date. Take a cue from their colleague Common: "If I don't like it, I don't like it. It don't mean that I'm hatin'."

Now, that said, I am a huge Jordan fan. He is the best player I've ever seen play. And I think it's ridiculous to suggest his number should be retired league wide. It was ridiculous when the Miami Heat retired No. 23 for Jordan. It's ridiculous to see that half-Bulls, half-Wizards jersey hanging in their rafters. And it was ridiculous when LeBron suggested that everyone needed to give up No. 23 -- just because he wanted to.

If LeBron wanted to pay homage to Jordan, why didn't he participate in the dunk contest and do a "best of Jordan" in his last year as No. 23? Something creative. Something memorable, not just marketable. Not "I'm switching to No. 6." You can't say you want to honor one of the greatest players of all-time, then take the number of two other legends -- even if you didn't grow up watching them. Pick a number no one has used if you're taking that stance. And if you want to question Bill Russell, the NBA Finals MVP trophy is named after him, arguably the only individual honor that matters in the NBA.

Someday we will all wise up and stop buying into this kind of move. By the way, anybody need a Jordan 45 jersey? :)

Ah, yes. The old "you're a hater" defense. Works every time. So much easier than actually formulating an argument, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Um...did you actually read the REST of my post? You know, the place where I actually formulated an argument?

But it's much easier to react to one word you don't like instead of admitting that someone made a valid point, even if you don't agree with it...I guess. :rolleyes:

See, I can give the rolleyes smiley, too.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Classiest move by Lebron yet.

Almost makes up for him snubbing the hand shakes.

Still don't like him for that, but part of the reason I didn't like him was him wearing 23. I get that he idolized Jordan, but I think more of the reason is because he thought he was/better than Jordan. I found it stupid.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived