NFL's New Postseason Logos

HowBoutThemFins

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would have made much more sense.

I took a closer look at the AFC and NFC logos and they do look like the fonts of the NFL logo

large-logo.png

I don't think anyone ever said that they didn't.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the point is that they didn't do a bad job if they did what the NFL wanted them to do. The NFL might have had a bad vision, or a bad idea, but the designers are just the ones who execute that vision. Even if the designers were hired to come up with the whole campaign, chances are they came up with several ideas, and the NFL narrowed it down and then ordered tweaks or redesigns until they came up with this.

Believe it or not I know that the way it works is that firms submit ideas and the team goes back to them with revisions. Thanks for explaining it to me though. ;)

I also realize that I do not know exactly how everything went down, which is why I prefaced my comments by saying it was 'pure speculation'. Whoever was responsible in the end, be it Landor or the NFL, I think it lacks creativity and misses the target of what they were trying to communicate. If you disagree, you're entitled to your opinion.

I think it goes without saying that the whole playoff package lacks creativity and (to us, the audience) misses the target on what they were trying to communicate. If that's all you would have posted, I would have had no reason to defend Landor because that statement does nothing to undermine the job they did. However, you made statements beyond your original point that do undermine Landor for the wrong reasons and to do that without, as you said, knowing exactly what went down is beyond unfair. No matter how much time, effort and creativity go into the job, it's ultimately someone else making the decisions. You can't blame the messenger, even if the message totally sucks.

And there really is no place for some of those comments. I'm not going to defend the harsh things I say when critiquing designs (this thread included), but I'll never insult the amount of money someone makes for a piece of work, and I'll never insult the amount of time someone spends on a piece of work. Neither has any correlation to how successful the work is. When your work looks like you don't know the first thing about design, well, then that does have a correlation to the success of the work, which is the inherent problem with those playoff marks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I still wonder how many typical football fans will even notice the new conference and playoff logos unless the changes were actually pointed out to them. I mentioned to my dad last season how the "new" NFL shield logo, which he had just noticed, was actually in use for over a year at that point.

I think it goes without saying that the whole playoff package lacks creativity and (to us, the audience) misses the target on what they were trying to communicate. If that's all you would have posted, I would have had no reason to defend Landor because that statement does nothing to undermine the job they did. However, you made statements beyond your original point that do undermine Landor for the wrong reasons and to do that without, as you said, knowing exactly what went down is beyond unfair. No matter how much time, effort and creativity go into the job, it's ultimately someone else making the decisions. You can't blame the messenger, even if the message totally sucks.

And there really is no place for some of those comments. I'm not going to defend the harsh things I say when critiquing designs (this thread included), but I'll never insult the amount of money someone makes for a piece of work, and I'll never insult the amount of time someone spends on a piece of work. Neither has any correlation to how successful the work is. When your work looks like you don't know the first thing about design, well, then that does have a correlation to the success of the work, which is the inherent problem with those playoff marks.

Do you work for Landor or something? You seem to have an awfully vested interest in my comments about them. I'm still puzzled as to why you are so concerned about one person's opinion about something, and whether they are fair or not.

The press release stated that the NFL 'collaborated with design firm Landor' on this project. This leads me to believe that Landor did a bulk of the design work. If they didn't then they should rewrite the press release as it makes it sound like they did the actual design work. Truthfully, whoever actually drew the football is irrelevant. They are still putting their name behind the development and design of it so I am going to put some of the blame on them. Sorry if this offends you, but to say there is no place for those comments is ridiculous.

Do you work for Landor or something? You seem to have an awfully vested interest in my comments about them. I'm still puzzled as to why you are so concerned about one person's opinion about something, and whether they are fair or not.

The press release stated that the NFL 'collaborated with design firm Landor' on this project. This leads me to believe that Landor did a bulk of the design work. If they didn't then they should rewrite the press release as it makes it sound like they did the actual design work. Truthfully, whoever actually drew the football is irrelevant. They are still putting their name behind the development and design of it so I am going to put some of the blame on them. Sorry if this offends you, but to say there is no place for those comments is ridiculous.

I was very specifically referring to the comment you made about Landor having gotten paid $100K for drawing a football with a hole in it and the one about being able to think it up in 10 seconds because there really is no place for that. They're both ignorant comments, and I hate to see good people wreck their credibility like that.

The rest was a result of you simply not knowing enough about the situation to make an accurate evaluation. You made the evaluation anyway, so I corrected you, because I know a lot about it. Simple as that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Oh, and the reason I care is because I dislike the perpetuation of myths. Others have a right to know how things really happen sometimes. This isn't the federal government.

[

I was very specifically referring to the comment you made about Landor having gotten paid $100K for drawing a football with a hole in it and the one about being able to think it up in 10 seconds because there really is no place for that. They're both ignorant comments, and I hate to see good people wreck their credibility like that.

The rest was a result of you simply not knowing enough about the situation to make an accurate evaluation. You made the evaluation anyway, so I corrected you, because I know a lot about it. Simple as that.

For the third time, I do not know how much they got paid. My guess at $100k was just that, a guess. Maybe I was way off, but I suspect it was a decent amount of money. Who knows, maybe they did it for free. I'm sure big design firms do high profile work like this, free of charge all the time (incase you didn't pick up on it, that was sarcasm).

Again, sorry if you don't like my opinion of the work (which you obviously have some sort of personal connection to), but there is a place for whatever opinion I or anyone else want to offer, and I'm really not overly concerned if anyone agrees with it or not. Obviously I was exaggerating by saying it would take me 10 seconds. The point I was trying to make by saying that is that the work lacks creativity and looks like very little thought was put into it. I honestly didn't think it was going to be this much of a struggle for someone to put two and two together.

Oh, and the reason I care is because I dislike the perpetuation of myths. Others have a right to know how things really happen sometimes. This isn't the federal government.

Reading message boards must drive you absolutely bonkers. ^_^

Not just in the NFL but I heard that the NBA and MLB is going to changed logo next season.

Where did you hear this and what logos, specifically? Because I really can't imagine the NBA or MLB ever changing their primary logos...

2002.gif

If they modernized this little number I'd be quite pleased. The current MLB logo is just a second-rate NBA logo to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not just in the NFL but I heard that the NBA and MLB is going to changed logo next season.

Where did you hear this and what logos, specifically? Because I really can't imagine the NBA or MLB ever changing their primary logos...

I heard it on The Herd couple month ago that the NBA is considering updating the Jerry West logo to makes it more modern just like what the NFL did with thier shield.

As for MLB someone told me thats they were going to changed so I dont know if thats true or not.

Hmm... I don't really know how the NBA can make their logo more "modern," though. With the NFL, the updated shield was little more than fixing the number of stars and using a different typeface. But the NBA logo isn't really text heavy and seemingly conveys its message perfectly.

Archived