NFL's New Postseason Logos

HowBoutThemFins

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current MLB logo is just a second-rate NBA logo to me.

Pretty ironic, considering that the NBA specifically designed their logo to mimic the MLB logo.

Yeah well NBA Jam was kind of my intro to sports, so (mouth-clicking noise of "well that's that")

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does anyone have any larger pictures of all those new NFL logos to put on the logo site?

Probably not until all the official vector sheets get posted somewhere. I can only assume some here do have the official vectors but haven't made larger images yet.

Does anyone have any larger pictures of all those new NFL logos to put on the logo site?

Probably not until all the official vector sheets get posted somewhere. I can only assume some here do have the official vectors but haven't made larger images yet.

Hmm... I don't really know how the NBA can make their logo more "modern," though. With the NFL, the updated shield was little more than fixing the number of stars and using a different typeface. But the NBA logo isn't really text heavy and seemingly conveys its message perfectly.

The only way I see the NBA do is make the logo looks sharps and 3D types.

they were on wikipedia but those clowns over there removed the pics.

Were they in vector format? Wikipedia generally doesn't allow for logos to be posted unless they're in .svg.

If they were there and they go deleted, there should be a cached version available.

Were they in vector format? Wikipedia generally doesn't allow for logos to be posted unless they're in .svg.

If they were there and they go deleted, there should be a cached version available.

yes they were.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

i agree with what AW has been saying. i know from being a freelancer you cant deliver great design if the client wont let you. sometimes you just hope in a situation like this to make whatever they had better, but with the NFL what they had was already really good and they destroyed it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

yes they were.

Oh, that sucks. Well, hopefully someone reposts either there or somewhere else.

I like the changed conference logos. The four stars (presumably one for each division) make sense and their move to make the two logos a bit more uniform does as well.

The playoff logos are a minor downgrade...they were not that great before.

I am disappointed in the trophies, though. I think that's a huge fail (and I almost never type that word on these boards). They should have been designed for the next iteration of some second-tier entertainment awards show. The old trophies were unique and have established some tradition. I just don't understand why they'd make this overhaul at this time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like the changed conference logos. The four stars (presumably one for each division) make sense and their move to make the two logos a bit more uniform does as well.

The playoff logos are a minor downgrade...they were not that great before.

I am disappointed in the trophies, though. I think that's a huge fail (and I almost never type that word on these boards). They should have been designed for the next iteration of some second-tier entertainment awards show. The old trophies were unique and have established some tradition. I just don't understand why they'd make this overhaul at this time.

This.

Though I do understand why they might have wanted to redesign the old conference trophies. Just because they were used for many years and everyone was accustomed to them it doesn't mean they were very good. The more I look at them the more their inherent flaws come through. Not to say that the newer versions are better...but I don't disagree with making the change now, especially since they changed everything else. Makes more sense to change everything all at once then to do it over time IMO.

I can't say I'm a fan of any of this, but it's par for the course where the NFL is concerned. Nothing is sacred except the Lombardi Trophy, and even that is a replacement of a replacement (the AFL had its own title trophy, and the NFL had two different versions of its championship bauble before Pete Rozelle commissioned Tiffany to produce the current symbol of gridiron excellence).

nav-logo.png

I can't say I'm a fan of any of this, but it's par for the course where the NFL is concerned. Nothing is sacred except the Lombardi Trophy, and even that is a replacement of a replacement (the AFL had its own title trophy, and the NFL had two different versions of its championship bauble before Pete Rozelle commissioned Tiffany to produce the current symbol of gridiron excellence).

I agree, though I would argue that the conference trophies were nowhere near as iconic and symbolic hence the ability to change them without too much uproar...except maybe for us geeks here on this board ^_^

I'm not sure that the Lombardi is a replacement of anything. The NFL had the Ed Thorp trophy, the AFL had its (unnamed?) trophy. The Super Bowl needed its own trophy because when it was first played, the leagues were still independent, and each continued to award their trophies to the respective league champions until the merger.

The cynic in me says that they waited until this year to change the AFC logo from six stars to four so that they wouldn't interfere with the 50th celebration. Now that that's done with...

It's like other people have pointed out - not only does the NFL seem to not care about their history pre-merger, but it seems like they are now actively attempting to get rid of its reminders. Now they they are done with the obligatory 50th celebration, eliminating the 6 AFLC stars is just one more way to sweep AFL history under the rug.

As to the logos, downgrade across the board, especially with the Playoff/Wild Card/Division logos. I kind of like the new trophies, but I also liked the old trophies, so...neutral? Everything just looks so boring... everything is light grey, dark grey, or grey.

Also, the OCD part of me is going to be bothered by the fact that the stars in the A aren't at the same angle as the stars in the N. If you're going to go to the trouble of homogenizing everything, at least do it!

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

The issue is that some people disliked the old conference logos because the number of stars in each logo was seemingly arbitrary and didn't coincide with the number of divisions within each conference. Some people disliked the old logos because the typefaces were outdated, or at least didn't match the typefaces used on the NFL shield and elsewhere. Then you have some people who dislike the new conference logos because the change for the sake of consistency also removed any references to the NFL's past, such as the former AFL.

It really just goes to show you can't please everyone. There will always be compromises.

I'm not sure that the Lombardi is a replacement of anything. The NFL had the Ed Thorp trophy, the AFL had its (unnamed?) trophy. The Super Bowl needed its own trophy because when it was first played, the leagues were still independent, and each continued to award their trophies to the respective league champions until the merger.

Ultimately the Lombardi Trophy was awarded for the NFL championship, once the leagues had merged, so essentially its initial purpose was augmented.

nav-logo.png

The issue is that some people disliked the old conference logos because the number of stars in each logo was seemingly arbitrary and didn't coincide with the number of divisions within each conference. Some people disliked the old logos because the typefaces were outdated, or at least didn't match the typefaces used on the NFL shield and elsewhere. Then you have some people who dislike the new conference logos because the change for the sake of consistency also removed any references to the NFL's past, such as the former AFL.

It really just goes to show you can't please everyone. There will always be compromises.

Can I get a compromise here? Keep the updated font and the four stars to represent the divisions, but keep the stars on the outside of the AFC logo to continue homaging the AFL.

Archived