Kennesaw State Owls Identity Project

Brave-Bird 08

VERY nice progression here. Liking that you're sticking to it, and each progression has gotten better.

Three things, though:

the line that "bisects" the wing bugs me...you should maybe look at removing that and make the wing a solid shape...it'd probably read better as a wing, too.

That line that you're using as the shape in the wordmark, where it curves up at the end right above the "A"...that upward terminus also bugs me. I see what you were going for, though (following the original logo). Along that same line, I think you might want to look at smoothing out the curves/lines around those mountains.

Third...I'd find a slightly more distinctive typeface to use...though I can see why you got away from the Philly Eagles nameplate font, whatever it's called.

Overall, I'll give you a pretty solid "B". Again...very nice work here.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's probably a lot of schools that are "State" without actually being "State", it's just that they don't include the "State" part of their name except when it's absolutely necessary.

Anything "State" University just means the school is state funded, and not a private school.

There's probably a lot of schools that are "State" without actually being "State", it's just that they don't include the "State" part of their name except when it's absolutely necessary.

Anything "State" University just means the school is state funded, and not a private school.

Well, in this day and age with the University System of Georgia Budget cuts coming up, I'm not sure it's going to be "state" funded...it's going to be more a long the lines of "student" funded...considering they are raising our tuition and adding 100 dollar fees!

Gotta love recessions!

But yeah, you're right. I left "Kennesaw" instead of "Kennesaw State", but I will probably include a "KSU" or "Kennesaw State" script as an alternate

FINAL.png

More stuff here. I'm getting more and more work done on this.

Coincidentally enough, I got ahold of the Athletic Director at Kennesaw State and submitted him a "raw" copy of the logo, implying that any favorable improvements or variations can and will be made upon request.

He appreciated the design, and got me in contact with the marketing director and the University Relations, who coincidentally were in the process of designing a new Scrappy logo...but they never finished.

Enter me. The marketing director liked the look of the logo as well, and I will be in contact with University Relations in putting together a portfolio of 3 or 4 variations that could work as the new Scrappy.

Potentially, my logo could be used by the school. I started a facebook group in the wake of this, and drew a few messages from strangers commenting on how much they liked it.

Good for their standards, but I know I can use your input in the next few weeks to really make this work. The implication of a "scrappy" logo may mean a single bird, rather than a script.

I kind of like the whole mountain thing, but if I had to remove it I would need to draw feet...!! yikes. So far this seems to be a non-profit export on my part; and I'm cool with that.

POTENTIALLY, the little draw up I did for a logo design tutorial might start showing up all over campus.

POTENTIALLY, the little draw up I did for a logo design tutorial might start showing up all over campus.

That's awesome!

But, there are some things that still stick out to me for the logo:

-The face looks a bit disproportional. I'd consider researching facial profiles of owls so you could get a good feel as to where everything should be placed. As of now, I'd scrap the two eyes and turn the angle of the head slightly to the bird's left by shifting the crease in it's head a bit to our right.

-I think that if you thicken the black outlines, the logo would have so much more 'pop'; this would also help provide more definition between the feathers and facial areas.

- don't like the size of the wordmark compared to the owl, as it's not very effective size-wise.

-The hills aren't doing it for me, and the swooping gold stripe looks really awkward.

I think you're getting closer, can't wait to see an update!

after looking at all the updates, i figured out whats is bothering me with this logo.........it just say Kennesaw.......Kennesaw, what?????......i think u need to add State, and/or owls.....It would look better I think............epically now that u changed the font a little.

Major overhaul with the script. That is the emphasis here. Now I'm going back to try to fix line widths and do something about the infamously awkward stub. I also did a subtle change to the top left ear...adding shading back there. I cant tell if it looks good or not. Also, I thinned out the beak to be more like an owl beak.

I also made my photobucket profile "prviate"...I think. I'm not sure how that works, but I simply don't want this logo showing up anywhere but here. I've gotten ahold of the licensing director at KSU. The athletic director and relations lady liked it.

Someone try to click to my profile and see if you see anything.

FINAL-1.png

thats a great choice of typeface. the letter-forms fit very nicely with the lines in the logo. but "state" looks like its forced in there. there may be a better way about doing that. my biggest issue is still the mountains though, i dont like the thin "glossy" highlight and the yellow splitting the 2 looks weird.

i think i can show you what i mean better than i can explain it, so heres a rough paint over

3501ca8.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

More stuff here. I'm getting more and more work done on this.

Coincidentally enough, I got ahold of the Athletic Director at Kennesaw State and submitted him a "raw" copy of the logo, implying that any favorable improvements or variations can and will be made upon request.

He appreciated the design, and got me in contact with the marketing director and the University Relations, who coincidentally were in the process of designing a new Scrappy logo...but they never finished.

Enter me. The marketing director liked the look of the logo as well, and I will be in contact with University Relations in putting together a portfolio of 3 or 4 variations that could work as the new Scrappy.

Potentially, my logo could be used by the school. I started a facebook group in the wake of this, and drew a few messages from strangers commenting on how much they liked it.

Good for their standards, but I know I can use your input in the next few weeks to really make this work. The implication of a "scrappy" logo may mean a single bird, rather than a script.

I kind of like the whole mountain thing, but if I had to remove it I would need to draw feet...!! yikes. So far this seems to be a non-profit export on my part; and I'm cool with that.

whatever you do, DON'T do this for free...colleges and universities pay big $$$ for quality athletic identities, and yours is on the way to being a pretty good piece of work

if they use this (and it sounds like they might), they will sell THOUSANDS of dollars of merchandise bearing this image...you should get some cut, even if it's only $500-$1,000

i know it would be cool to have your work show up all over the place, but you've got to make sure you get some compensation...

jldesigns404eo.png

Yeah, definitely don't give it to them for free if they decide to use it. I think what BrandNstudio did would make this logo even better and I think it would be sweet if KSU actually used it!

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Definately do not do this without pay. You're gonna regret it when your work is used EVERYWHERE.

But anyways, the typeface looks a thousand times better, and I think the quick sketch Brandn did would definately be an update. The face looks more proportional, I still don't like the eyes too much; they don't follow the line made by the yellow shape too well, so I'd either adjust the shape or the eye itself. Those outlines would look great when thickened, as well. DEFINATELY make the script area larger so that t's more prominent in the logo, and not just a side-note.

This keeps getting better!

Here is more updates. I took CJayZ's advice and made some tweaks.

I have two versions here, mainly b/c there are elements I am undecided on. I did a version where I dropped "State" down into a well, but also left my original b/c, personally, I think it works fine...and makes for a good script logo, which is on the third post.

The logos on my third post are not updated, but show some of the potential of this design. The school said they needed a new bird, but I think with some leverage I can work with the Univ. Relations director and the bookstore to get more than just the bird out there.

FINAL1.png

FINAL2.png

alternatelogos.png

This is progressing nicely but there are still a good few things that could be improved on.

As others have said, outlines. They need to be much thicker, as it is on screen right now the lines you have separating the feathers on the wings are dangerously thin, they are going to disappear completely if the logo is used at even 50% the size you have displayed in this thread, and it will be that size in programs on tickets etc if the design is adopted so that's a problem. Personally I'd probably remove about a third of the number of feathers you currently have on the wings and use that extra space I'd bought to thicken up all the black lines considerably.

On the text area that you have right now, things look really unbalanced. IMO the left and right sides of the "banner" that the name sits in should be exactly the same shape and angle, just mirrored. Right now that's not the case and the whole think looks like it wants to topple off to the left. The name doesn't sit cleanly within the shape either, the curves aren't parallel, and the K sits lower than the W on the name as well. Rather than drawing each curve separately draw one duplicate it and nudge it up or down that way everything will match. As it stands right now none of them seem to match, technically one or two might but optically because at least some are off they all look off. The new typeface looks great but you need to spend some time cleaning this area up in order to get the best out of this.

Like I said it's progressing really well and has the potential to be a really strong identity you just need to give it that final big push to get it over the top.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Well, after a lot of effort I've contacted everyone and anyone in charge of licensing and logos/merchandise at Kennesaw State.

Their recent recommitment to their trademarks has made it tough to get this through ( as any freelance concept would be through any institution)

Apparently a "scrappy" owl has been submitted to the AD and will go through the process I intended my logo to go through. The only chance in the name of Hilary Clinton I have of getting this logo used is if the licensing director favors mine over the other.

It was a long shot, but everyone who viewed the logo at KSU really liked it. I started a student fb group as well, with a good turnout and a lot of compliments. I even implemented it into blog headers for my friend's site.

Moral victory for me. I didn't think I was capable of designing this well using inkscape. The Owl will get a full treatment and I'll make a final post...he, Scrappy 2.0, will also get a full treatment as my new sig.

...but now that I've taken the next step I think it's time to get back to my NBA redesign and finish it before the season is over!

Archived