2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NEW.ERA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are the Hawks better shorthanded than on a power play? It's mathematically impossible right? Anyways, that was an ordeal. Amazing to see Niemi play the way he can, when he follows my expert advice bot to give up rebounds, which of course he didnt tonight.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

It's not a falling apart so much as taking their foot off the gas, which they tend to do when they get up by two goals. It's not a particularly appealing trait.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So... CHI-VAN will be either the Blackhawks fighting and clawing for a victory, or the Canucks blowing them out because the Hawks have a bantam-level goaltender?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I didn't know David Stern sent his refs for tonight. Admittedly Nabokov dove twice(and got calls), but Pavelski gets punched and beaten up in the crease for no call, and Heatley gets cross checked right into Howard, and he gets flippin' goalie interference.

Still though this is flat out awesome, we just dominated them in the 3rd.

You have to love that a Sharks fan is complaining about the officiating... Is 10 penalties not enough for you? Sure, they missed Pavelski getting molested in the crease by Stuart, the Heatley one was obviously a make-up call for the other two goalie interference dives by Nabokov, and who knows what that penalty on Marleau was at the end of the first period. You seem to have forgotten the "penalties" on Lilja and Bertuzzi (which ended up in the 5-3 goal...)

However, the officials are not the reason the Wings lost. They played terrible in that third period. That's the reason they lost. If you are on penalty kill, you don't hook the guy between his legs, because when he falls down (or dives), you just put your team down an extra man. It also might help if you actually win a face-off every once in while. Thow in poor officiating (both ways), some bad breaks (two broken sticks from Blake and Lidstrom), and some terrible mental lapses (too many men call, which was the right call, and stupid penalties like Cleary's and Filpulla's) You aren't going to win if you come out and only play 40 minutes of hockey.

Now, I will be holding my breath tonight for every minute of Games 3 and 4. If the Wings can actually play good, smart hockey with no mental lapses (zero multigoal tallies in under 2 minutes), I have no doubt that the Wings will move on... whether that actually transpires, we'll see...

Was that fair enough for all you haters?

the Hawks have a bantam-level goaltender?

No they don't. Niemi's stats were respectable in the regular season and first round. Not an all-star, but pretty good. "Bantam-level goaltenders" don't get nine shutouts.

The Hawks are really good at scoring short-handed goals because they put guys like Sharp and Hossa on penalty kill units instead of concentrating on the third and fourth liners. Why they're so impotent on the power play is beyond my hockey knowledge, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because their style of play dictates controlling possession and that means not going all wild hack-n-whack SHOOOOOOOOOOT and stuff. The chink in the armor there is that for their attention to possessions, they sure let the PKs clear it deep on them a lot.

If you are on penalty kill, you don't hook the guy between his legs, because when he falls down (or dives)

Haha. Speaking from experience as a Wings fan?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Canadiens have carried the play throughout this first period. Let's hope they keep it up.

Yeah, they're my team for the next couple weeks! After that I don't care about them, and I'll root for another team. Hopefully the Hawks don't screw stuff up, because they 're at least local.

buffalo_sabres_logo_edited.jpg

the Sharks were down 3-1 until they brought it within 1 on a goal by...Joe Thornton?

Joe Thornton has scored a goal in back to back playoff games?

It was unassisted too. Still a game with 11 to play.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived