2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NEW.ERA

It was a unique way to see a season end, yes, but not necessarily a good way. You gotta turn that red light on.

So, you would be in favor of returning the goal judges to their spot behind the net? I always thought it was silly that they watch the goal on a tv screen.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. Let's be honest; it's not a good call. I've heard the calls from NBC, CBC, WGN, and WIP (yeah, I know), and all four are understandably huge clusterflubs. Maybe this will prompt the NHL to effect some changes regarding goal judging so that we don't have to wonder if a team just won the championship. Remember my "Chapter x of Only the Goddamned NHL" bit from the Coyotes threads? Here we go again, indeed. It was a unique way to see a season end, yes, but not necessarily a good way. You gotta turn that red light on.

Troy Murray's the dope you're thinking of, and as one of those '80s Black Hawks that kept running into the Gretzky buzzsaw (and a longtime Chicago Guy in general), it was probably a really big deal to see his team win a Cup. He won one as a 13th forward on the '96 Avs, if I'm not mistaken, but as Jeremy Roenick showed us, players have serious feelings for this organization, despite its myriad ills of the past. Of course I'm defending him because I've spent so many nights with Blackhawks radio over the last five years, but what can you say; hometown radio isn't where you turn for unbiased professionalism in sportscasting.

Not to be a killjoy, but isn't Kane under 21?

22 in November. He can drink as long as he doesn't do anything stupid, which he eventually will.

I don't doubt players' feelings toward the Blackhawks, but in JR's case, he was regularly on WIP during the Finals hedging his bet saying how he had never been treated better than he was here, and how he owes "Mr. Snider" (the owner) everything for "rescuing" him, and then letting OK the Foresberg move and then pick his new team. He said that this series was one of his worst nightmares, and he has to side with the Hawks, but if the Flyers had pulled it out, he would have been crying for them as well. Who knows... it's JR, so that could very well just be smoke.

I don't really care how much someone cares for an organization. Even if you're on their pay roll, once that mic goes in front of your face, you are a professional broadcaster, and should at least attempt to play the part. If you're going to freak out, mute the damn mic. I'm not picking on Troy Murray, because it happens in a lot of places, including (like I said) Phillies radio.

It was a unique way to see a season end, yes, but not necessarily a good way. You gotta turn that red light on.

So, you would be in favor of returning the goal judges to their spot behind the net? I always thought it was silly that they watch the goal on a tv screen.

Why were they moved? Doesn't make a ton of sense. Also, how did the ref miss it? On the replay, it didn't look like a hard call to make.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You're right. Let's be honest; it's not a good call. I've heard the calls from NBC, CBC, WGN, and WIP (yeah, I know), and all four are understandably huge clusterflubs. Maybe this will prompt the NHL to effect some changes regarding goal judging so that we don't have to wonder if a team just won the championship. Remember my "Chapter x of Only the Goddamned NHL" bit from the Coyotes threads? Here we go again, indeed. It was a unique way to see a season end, yes, but not necessarily a good way. You gotta turn that red light on.

Troy Murray's the dope you're thinking of, and as one of those '80s Black Hawks that kept running into the Gretzky buzzsaw (and a longtime Chicago Guy in general), it was probably a really big deal to see his team win a Cup. He won one as a 13th forward on the '96 Avs, if I'm not mistaken, but as Jeremy Roenick showed us, players have serious feelings for this organization, despite its myriad ills of the past. Of course I'm defending him because I've spent so many nights with Blackhawks radio over the last five years, but what can you say; hometown radio isn't where you turn for unbiased professionalism in sportscasting.

22 in November. He can drink as long as he doesn't do anything stupid, which he eventually will.

I don't doubt players' feelings toward the Blackhawks, but in JR's case, he was regularly on WIP during the Finals hedging his bet saying how he had never been treated better than he was here, and how he owes "Mr. Snider" (the owner) everything for "rescuing" him, and then letting OK the Foresberg move and then pick his new team. He said that this series was one of his worst nightmares, and he has to side with the Hawks, but if the Flyers had pulled it out, he would have been crying for them as well. Who knows... it's JR, so that could very well just be smoke.

I don't really care how much someone cares for an organization. Even if you're on their pay roll, once that mic goes in front of your face, you are a professional broadcaster, and should at least attempt to play the part. If you're going to freak out, mute the damn mic. I'm not picking on Troy Murray, because it happens in a lot of places, including (like I said) Phillies radio.

Why were they moved? Doesn't make a ton of sense. Also, how did the ref miss it? On the replay, it didn't look like a hard call to make.

So they could make some money of those 2-4 seats behind the nets.

Edited to add link: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/morrison/2006/12/goal_judges_are_on_the_move.html

The ref was in good position. I'm guessing the ref thought that either Leighton had made the save or that it was stuck in his gear some how.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Hawks are one classy crew...

ept_sports_nhl_experts-53583235-127.jpg

Yeah, I know. You'd could probably find similar things throughout the league. It's disappointing to see though (regardless of team... On the other hand, I think the idea of the player rivalries is hilarious. And if it would have just said "PRONGER sucks", it'd be great. Unfortunately, that's not the case.)

Your premise is egregiously flawed if you're positing that accusing Chris Pronger of performing blowjobs is morally superior to calling him gay.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Would you care is the offending team wasn't the Chicago Blackhawks?

I tried to make clear that I was posting it because I saw a chance to take a shot at the Blackhawks (whom I obviously don't like) but that I would find it in poor taste regardless.

So would I care? Absolutely. Like I said, it's in poor taste. Would I have been motivated to make the post. Who knows, but it's not likely. I wasn't trying to hide that.

And charger is right. It might not have been the Hawks. Whoever did it shouldn't have.

Hockey players can assemble more offensive trash talk in their sleep and you're upset because someone wrote "Pronger is gay" while submitting that "Pronger sucks [dicks]" would've been great.

On top of that, you may be expecting way to much out of a group of young, highly paid hockey players who just won the most coveted prize in their sport.

And really, not condoning the use of "gay" as a pejorative term at all, but Chris Pronger really brought all of this negative attention on himself. The thought of Philly winning the thing would have been tolerable if he wasn't on the team, in all honesty.

The choice for me was essentially this....

Watch my team reach a new level of futility with a Blackhawks win OR watch Chris Pronger win another Stanley Cup. Honestly, it wasn't that hard to side with the Blackhawks on this one.

Can showing up at the parade drunk be considered something stupid?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Can showing up at the parade drunk be considered something stupid?

Sure, but inoffensively so. As you grow older, you will learn the importance of being drunk, dumb, and harmless, if your intent is to be drunk and dumb. Hopefully Kaner has learned that lesson after his cab ride in Buffalo, and a year of catching :censored: from his teammates, if today's remarks at the parade were any indication.

Watch my team reach a new level of futility with a Blackhawks win OR watch Chris Pronger win another Stanley Cup. Honestly, it wasn't that hard to side with the Blackhawks on this one.

The Blackhawks have the Stanley Cup, and I'm appreciating a Leafs' fan's perspective on the league's proceedings. What is this, Bizarro NHL? What's next, the Coyotes turning a profit?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh I know the trash talk gets worse. Much worse. But it doesn't have to be trash talk that's offensive outside of the intended target that's all. I realize it happens all over and worse, though.

Additionally, I think sucks has successfully crossed over into the realm of having it's own definitions, as stinks did before it. When you say someone stinks at hockey, it's removed from saying they smell bad. So is sucks. Gay has not and will not successfully make that transition.

If you're going to argue that widespread use of "sucks" doesn't imply sucking, then you have to concede that middle schoolers around the country casually use "gay" just to mean "lame," rather than actually homosexual.

So it's come to this, huh.

The Blackhawks have the Stanley Cup, and I'm appreciating a Leafs' fan's perspective on the league's proceedings. What is this, Bizarro NHL?

Well the fact is that outside of an obligatory Original 6 rivalry, I've never really viewed the Blackhawks as rivals of the Leafs in the same way as, say, Ottawa, Montreal, Detroit, and Buffalo. So I've never really minded the 'Hawks.

Besides, this (HOPEFULLY) will force MLSE to at least try to build a Cup contender. As long as the 'Hawks didn't win the Cup MLSE could say "hey we're not the must futile team in the league." Now they may just try.

What's next, the Coyotes turning a profit?

Yeah. In Winnipeg :P

Archived