Writer: Get the 'Jays out of Toronto

DustDevil61

Well, you don't see this every day:

No, Canada, for MLB

This is one of the most out there articles I've seen in a while. Joe Cowley has mentioned moving the Blue Jays to Caracas, Venezuela, becuase they are failing, apparently. Yea, sure, send a Major League team to a country in political crisis. :rolleyes:

While I'll admit that their attendance has not been good (and yes, 3 weeks into the season, they're last), there are teams in more dire straits, like the Rays, Marlins, and A's, drawing lower than the 'Jays over the 2009 season, accroding to ESPN. ESPN's Rob Neyer has read the article and defended Toronto (to some degree).

There are a couple of things I'd like to ask:

1.) Is there any concievable threat to the Blue Jays?

2.) Would a Latin American (Mexico City, San Juan, etc.) city be more suitable for a Major League team, with the sport's popularity in that region of the world, than a currently MLB-less North American city?

Well, someone's been given the directive to drive traffic to the Sun-Times' site.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, someone's been given the directive to drive traffic to the Sun-Times' site.

The Jay Mariotti Chair of Sports Journalism?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Jay Mariotti Chair of Sports Journalism?

Absurd Contrarian Viewpoint! Tenuous Supporting Statements! Countless Self-Contradictions! LOUD NOISES!!!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So this Cowley guy hates Canada? Not that i'm against hating Canada, but reading that article made my brain hurt.

Don't make me read this guy again...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

So this Cowley guy hates Canada? Not that i'm against hating Canada, but reading that article made my brain hurt.

Don't make me read this guy again...

Yea, it seems as though this guy has something against Canada. Don't worry; I'll try to avoid Cowley from now on. :wacko:

So is Chicago and they have two teams!

zing!

Wasn't this at least thrown out there when the Expos were playing in San Juan? I remember hearing at least something about it, if not only mentioning other Latin American cities.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I wonder if this idiot realizes Venezuela is run by a corrupt dictator.

he is a populist leader that enjoys support that W and Chairman O wishes they could get. :grin:

... that's what the Venezuelan media would like to tell you... ^_^ ....

This story got a bit of play in Toronto and he was interviewed to explain himself.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand/joecowley-ms-20100420.mp3

I saw, I came, I left.

Cowley is a Mariotti in training. Although he is the beat writer for the White Sox, he routinely hold grudges against certain players and makes snarky comments about them for their entire tenure. Not only is he a poor writer, he is EXTREMELY disliked in the clubhouse (unlike Mariotti, he actually sets foot in the clubhouse). Cowley is always misquoting people and trying to drum up controversy. Just last month the Sox told Ozzie Guillen he couldn't have his own website, and Cowley ran with "ZOMG! Ozzie is pissed!! Will he quit or instead beat up Ken Williams?! turn to page 97." His lazy ass got scooped on a trade being discussed this offseason by a fan website, so he went on a two month assault on the website calling them "trekkies living in their parents basement." He has the symtoms of someone overcompensating for a tiny phallus.

In 2003 he left Carlos Delgado and Vernon Wells off his MVP ballot, even though they both finished in the top ten. He was suspended from voting for awards the next season. His obsession with Canada started after seeing dumb asses in Toronto boo the US National Anthem. In response, he made a big scene out of refusing to stand for the Canadian anthem. He is a clown and a douche. Pay no attention to him.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah that was a joke of an article and he talks to the one player the fans wanted hit by a car, Of course Rios will say something like that and that's if it was actually Rios talking.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So pretend the Jays where an US franchise I dought that he would be saying the same thing.

Horrible grammar aside, let's not and say we did. :P

Of course he wouldn't be saying that, but who cares? Let's live in reality, not The World of Make Believe. Let's live in the is, not the was.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived