Three NHL Seasons of the RBK Edge Uniform System

Morgan33

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which teams need to change?

Atlanta, I don't have anything against any of their uniform styles, I just feel they need to pick one of the primaries, go with it, and base the other primary off of it.

Buffalo, and they're changing next season.

Calgary, vertical striping, piping to nowhere, and flags? They need a redo. Going back to the pre-Edge design would be a step in the right direction.

Colorado/Florida/Nashville, they aren't bad, they're just generic. One team can keep the look, but the other two need to dump it. Nashville's switching to a new scheme next season, which is great to see, so we just need either the Panthers or Aves make the change.

Dallas, I get what they were going for, but it really just comes off as bland. They had a great template in the old Iowa Stars uniforms.

Edmonton, these glorified practice sweaters need to go. Apparently they're not pulling the trigger and going fully retro next season. That's disappointing.

Minnesota, Like Atlanta they need to standardize the home and road set. Ideally I would like to see them go back to the pre-Edge look, with the white roads remaining, the home greens making a comeback, and the reds returning to alternate status.

NY Islanders, way to busy, good to hear they're going retro full time next season.

Ottawa/Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay, another generic template. Let one team run with it, and let the other two come up with something new.

Philadelphia, going with the throwbacks next season is a great first step, but they still need tweaking.

Phoenix/Toronto, hem stripes are your friend. Toronto is apparently correcting the mistake for next season though.

St. Louis, the biggest downgrade from pre-Edge to Edge. Go back to the pre-Edge designs, which were at the time of the best in the league.

San Jose, they look good, don't get me wrong. It just seems to clash, with such a dynamic logo on such a traditional sweater design. The pre-Edge design would have fit the current logo perfectly.

Vancouver, get rid of the arched "VANCOUVER" and orca.

The Ducks need a massive upgrade. There is a reason they were voted to be the first team to be completely rebranded on Puckdrawn.

Because people are nostalgic for Disney uniforms?

They won a Cup in the current set, they're fine.

Edmonton, these glorified practice sweaters need to go. Apparently they're not pulling the trigger and going fully retro next season. That's disappointing.

Minnesota, Like Atlanta they need to standardize the home and road set. Ideally I would like to see them go back to the pre-Edge look, with the white roads remaining, the home greens making a comeback, and the reds returning to alternate status.

Philadelphia, going with the throwbacks next season is a great first step, but they still need tweaking.

St. Louis, the biggest downgrade from pre-Edge to Edge. Go back to the pre-Edge designs, which were at the time of the best in the league.

Calgary: Agree. They just seemed to try too hard. Ideally, I'd like 'em to go back to pre-black, but I know that'll never happen. But pre-edge would be a great move.

Edmonton: Agree again. While "retro "is better than "practice", Edmonton had a great example of an upgrade/modernization without losing their identity. It's the one team that I cannot imagine anyone saying "upgrade" about regarding the edge. Yes most people think the Isles stinks, but I can see someone thinking it's better, with the colored sleeves. This is the team that screwed up the edge move the most.

Minnesota: Agree. We need some uniformity. Loved the green homes. The over-rated red should be alt or else just eliminated. No need for a "Minnesota" script.

Philly: I think the edge is turning Philly into a mess too. Their template is weird and their retros are just so 1970s. The white nameplate on an orange jersey. We all dissed the Twins (rightly) for having a nameplate on pinstriptes. This is similar. Philly's orange looked so much better once they corrected the problems. Now they've brought 'em back for retro's sake.

St. Louis I agree was a downgrade, but they cannot take Edmonton's title. Agree, though, that the pre-edge were awesome.

Vancouver: agree that the arched "Vancouver" needs to go.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

it was briefly touched upon and is a moot point because a change is coming, but i think the islanders were one of the worst offenders of the edge template. that was one terrible jersey. can't wait for the full time retros.

also, count me in for a ducks upgrade. i get the "they won in this" argument, but that set is completely uninspired and bland. i'm not saying the disney uniforms are the way to go, but they need something better.

sig2024.png

The Ducks need a massive upgrade. There is a reason they were voted to be the first team to be completely rebranded on Puckdrawn.

Nope, its because their current Identity is terrible. They have generic aimless logos, a 90's striping template and a truly horrendous colour scheme. According to Icethetics it was designed by Frederik and Froberg Design. Here is what they had to say about the design...

"The result is a strong, typographic mark anchored by a stylized ?D? that echoes the image of a duck?s foot or footprint. The custom typography has a powerful forward momentum and is made up of metallic gold letters with orange drop-shadows and a black holding shape. The new uniforms are an evolution of the earlier sweater design but with gold, white and orange sweeping stripes influenced by the curves of the ?D? in the Ducks? logo."

Could anybody read that without laughing? I couldnt. Notice how they said it "echoes" the image of a ducks footprint? I think even they are ashamed of it.

Nope, its because their current Identity is terrible. They have generic aimless logos, a 90's striping template and a truly horrendous colour scheme. According to Icethetics it was designed by Frederik and Froberg Design. Here is what they had to say about the design...

"The result is a strong, typographic mark anchored by a stylized “D” that echoes the image of a duck’s foot or footprint. The custom typography has a powerful forward momentum and is made up of metallic gold letters with orange drop-shadows and a black holding shape. The new uniforms are an evolution of the earlier sweater design but with gold, white and orange sweeping stripes influenced by the curves of the “D” in the Ducks’ logo."

Could anybody read that without laughing? I couldnt. Notice how they said it "echoes" the image of a ducks footprint? I think even they are ashamed of it.

Sorry, I just don't see much wrong with the current set (I would change the number font). Likewise I just don't get the love the Disney set receives. It looked childish. It would work for a minor league team that relied on child-friendly gimmicks like cartoon logos and trendy coloured uniforms to get families to buy tickets, but for a team in the National Hockey League? No thanks.

I consider it a minor miracle that they won the Cup wearing something dignified and with a normal name like "Anaheim Ducks."

Having someone in those Disney monstrosities raising the Cup with "MIGHTY DUCKS" engraved on it for all time would probably have caused Lord Stanley to explode in his grave.

"The result is a strong, typographic mark anchored by a stylized ?D? that echoes the image of a duck?s foot or footprint. The custom typography has a powerful forward momentum and is made up of metallic gold letters with orange drop-shadows and a black holding shape. The new uniforms are an evolution of the earlier sweater design but with gold, white and orange sweeping stripes influenced by the curves of the ?D? in the Ducks? logo."

Sorry, I just don't see much wrong with the current set (I would change the number font). Likewise I just don't get the love the Disney set receives. It looked childish. It would work for a minor league team that relied on child-friendly gimmicks like cartoon logos and trendy coloured uniforms to get families to buy tickets, but for a team in the National Hockey League? No thanks.

I consider it a minor miracle that they won the Cup wearing something dignified and with a normal name like "Anaheim Ducks."

Having someone in those Disney monstrosities raising the Cup with "MIGHTY DUCKS" engraved on it for all time would probably have caused Lord Stanley to explode in his grave.

Not advocating a return to the Disney jerseys at all. I think they should start over, maybe use forest green as a primary colour and make a logo that actually depicts a duck in some way.

Atlanta, I don't have anything against any of their uniform styles, I just feel they need to pick one of the primaries, go with it, and base the other primary off of it.

Buffalo, and they're changing next season.

Calgary, vertical striping, piping to nowhere, and flags? They need a redo. Going back to the pre-Edge design would be a step in the right direction.

Colorado/Florida/Nashville, they aren't bad, they're just generic. One team can keep the look, but the other two need to dump it. Nashville's switching to a new scheme next season, which is great to see, so we just need either the Panthers or Aves make the change.

Dallas, I get what they were going for, but it really just comes off as bland. They had a great template in the old Iowa Stars uniforms.

NY Islanders, way to busy, good to hear they're going retro full time next season.

Ottawa/Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay, another generic template. Let one team run with it, and let the other two come up with something new.

Phoenix/Toronto, hem stripes are your friend. Toronto is apparently correcting the mistake for next season though.

San Jose, they look good, don't get me wrong. It just seems to clash, with such a dynamic logo on such a traditional sweater design. The pre-Edge design would have fit the current logo perfectly.

Vancouver, get rid of the arched "VANCOUVER" and orca.

Actually, not a single one of the rebrands featured anything close to the old Disney uniforms. Most of the designs agreed the Ducks need more green and more orange, as well as a better Duck logo. Their current jersey puts me to sleep quicker than watching golf on a sunday afternoon. It is just so boring.

70389454.png

In my opinion the Ducks have the worst number/NOB font in all 4 sports. Their swooshy stripes get cut off on the edge template and their colors are not representative of orange county, southern California, or a duck. I'd rather see the Penguins in the Ducks uniforms than the Ducks. If they had to switch then I would've preferred it if they went with one of those green-orange concepts that were around here in abundance in 2006. I am not at all a fan of their current uniforms and even though they won a cup in them I still have a hard time identifying the Ducks with black,gold, and orange.

Personally, I thought there was nothing wrong with their original uniforms. Given enough time then they could've become modern classics. They were unique in design, name, and colors. I think being named after a kids' movie is better than hollow nicknames such as 'Wild', 'Lightning', or 'Thrashers'.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The use of numbers on the front of the jersey is also a bad trend. As if the Islanders' jersey wasn't busy enough....

We can blame the Buffalo Sabres for that. Hopefully they ditch the front numbers when their third becomes the full time home. The Islanders wont have them anymore so the only teams left will be Tampa Bay, Dallas, and San Jose. San Jose and Tampa could easily fix this, Dallas would need a new uniform set which is exactly what im advocating.

I had forgotten about the numbers on the front of the Stars' jersey (Atlanta too), but with the number front-and-center, those two do not bother me. It is the jerseys with the numbers on the right chest that I don't like. If only I could convince Reebok that if they remove those numbers, the players would be .73% faster.

I have never seen anyone wear any "Anaheim Ducks" merchandise in Canada. By contrast the original uniforms were extremely popular here and not just with ten year olds. Thats not to say that they didn't need some kind upgrade to keep up with the times, but they werent minor league.

I have never seen anyone wear any "Anaheim Ducks" merchandise in Canada. By contrast the original uniforms were extremely popular here and not just with ten year olds. Thats not to say that they didn't need some kind upgrade to keep up with the times, but they werent minor league.

Popular does not equate good.

They were cartoon-like. They were minor league. Once the novelty from the movies wore off, well they looked childish.

They were cartoon-like. They were minor league. Once the novelty from the movies wore off, well they looked childish.

I guess the novelty of those jerseys will never wear off for me. Those movies got me into hockey, and I'm sure many kids growing up in the 90's would say the same. Whether it is a good jersey or not, the Mighty Ducks played a big role in me still liking hockey today.

70389454.png

The current Ducks jersey is fine but change the wordmark logo on that jersey to the D webbed logo.. and it would look great!! Simple enough...

The Flames jersey need to go back to the old style... I dont really like the shoulder patches and etc.. too cluttered and odd...

Edmonton should get rid of the current pj jersey and go back to that retro style jersey which I love well enough that it would be great to see that one as full time jersey...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Philly: I think the edge is turning Philly into a mess too. Their template is weird and their retros are just so 1970s. The white nameplate on an orange jersey. We all dissed the Twins (rightly) for having a nameplate on pinstriptes. This is similar. Philly's orange looked so much better once they corrected the problems. Now they've brought 'em back for retro's sake.

Okay I get that the Flyers were going back to the uniforms they won 2 cups in, including that odd white nameplate (since nameplates were only required for certain TV games the team used the same nameplate on both the white and orange jerseys and basically just sewed it on for the TV games). I wouldn't mind the white nameplate if this was just a one-shot "turn back the clock" jersey. And why did they do that "reverse" (black with white letters) nameplate for this year's Winter Classic jersey - a nameplate that was never used?

I also agree that their Edge template wasn't one of the most inspired options.

Now while I liked the 1983-2007 jersey style (at least with orange jersey worn until 2001; the black was kind of bland), if the Flyers wanted to go back to their original style jerseys that is fine also. Just use the ones they started wearing in 1978 with the sleeve stripes widened slightly to accomodate the TV numbers and without the different colored name plates - problem solved. That style works on the Edge jersey as well as it did on the pre-Edge jersey.

The Islanders moved up 4 slots in merchandise sales when they switched to the Fisherman Logo, Nuff said.

The Islanders moved up 4 slots in merchandise sales when they switched to the Fisherman Logo, Nuff said.

That doesn't actually prove that people liked the Fisherman uniforms. The Islanders moved up in merchandise sales after the change because they had new merchandise to sell. If they make no change at all, they basically have the exact same merchandise so there's nothing new to buy.

Right after the NFL draft, the no.l selling jersey in the league was the Tim Tebow Broncos jersey. Is that because Tebow was suddenly the most popular player in the NFL? No. It's because people have already had about 10 years to buy a Manning Colts jersey or a Brady Patriots jersey, so all of their fans already have their stuff.

Wordmark logos need to go, big time.

Dallas needs a huge change.

The throwbacks need to go as well. I love that more teams are going back to the horizontal stripes and designs, but going all out throwback is lame and uncreative.

The Flames need the horse logo back, I loved it, and the Pens need to go back to the traditional colors. The new color set was a huge downgrade and doesn't flow with the rest of the Pittsburgh teams like it used to.

2ly2w09.jpg

Wordmark logos need to go, big time.

Dallas needs a huge change.

The throwbacks need to go as well. I love that more teams are going back to the horizontal stripes and designs, but going all out throwback is lame and uncreative.

The Flames need the horse logo back, I loved it, and the Pens need to go back to the traditional colors. The new color set was a huge downgrade and doesn't flow with the rest of the Pittsburgh teams like it used to.

I'm one of the few who likes Dallas' look. It is simple, classy, and clean. I don't want every team to copy it, but it looks good for them. Though I would like a green alternate.

I agree on the Pens though. I hate the vegas gold. Every time I see old footage from the 90's or see one of the old 90's jerseys I am reminded at how cool those colors look. Its the Pittsburgh black and gold. It just looks right.

70389454.png

Archived