Portland Timbers to have a new logo for MLS Debut

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NASL....why so many people seem to see it as the high point of pro soccer in North America is beyond me. MLS seems to be on the right track.

Without the NASL, there is NO MLS. Think slowly, and carefully. It is the "children of the NASL" that have created MLS. Without the fans of the Cosmos, Timbers, Sounders, Kicks, Whitecaps, Tornado, etc. there is no pro soccer North America 21st century...

Commissioner of the Northern Lights Hockey Association (NLHA), Founded 1981 with Albert M. Tischler. Owner Minnesota Griffins 6 time AURORA BOREALIS CUP winners. Defending Champion 2011 is Houston Roughnecks.

That concept would be a very nice logo.

I think somebody one here worked on the real MLS Portland Timbers logo.

Sorry if it's slightly off topic, but I love the slogans and the music in the teaser videos.

Does anybody have some infos on it ? (just composed for the teasers, a fan theme or from a song?)

Using the three clues, I've come up with this:

Portland-Timbers-MLS.jpg

Nicely done...very clean and crisp...

Very nice...although the "Timbers FC" seems a bit crammed. I imagined the "FC" to be on the Dark Middle area of the axe blade.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Very nice...although the "Timbers FC" seems a bit crammed. I imagined the "FC" to be on the Dark Middle area of the axe blade.

Yeah, i thought it was crammed too. its a tough name to split evenly. it works like they have it on the top and bottom, but not so much side to side. im not too worried about the final product. im confident that they'll do a good job with it. they're at least saying the right things. that said, the more time i spend looking at the original logo, the more i think is perfect.

Yeah, i thought it was crammed too. its a tough name to split evenly. it works like they have it on the top and bottom, but not so much side to side. im not too worried about the final product. im confident that they'll do a good job with it. they're at least saying the right things. that said, the more time i spend looking at the original logo, the more i think is perfect.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to critique yours. You did a very good job on it.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I think most people would be extremely happy if that were the crest. Taken the clues and used them well actually.

Although I keep thinking the actual crest is just going to be an abomination. I hope not.

agreed about grub's work, but I don't think the real mark will be an abomination, because RARE is doing the logo, and they produce quality (including work from our very own Ben Barnes ;)).

also, grubstreet, i think the axe blade should be a bit more curved like the previous timbers' crest...

so they are reducing the chevrons to 3 to represent the leagues. I think it may look better than the 6 or 7 they have right now.

Who's doing the math?????!!!!!!????? There are 4 eras not 3. Or are they not counting MLS yet???

NASL 197?-1983

The APSL/A League 198?-2000

USL 2001-now

MLS-future

Right? Or am I wrong. I think I'm right.

so they are reducing the chevrons to 3 to represent the leagues. I think it may look better than the 6 or 7 they have right now.

Who's doing the math?????!!!!!!????? There are 4 eras not 3. Or are they not counting MLS yet???

NASL 197?-1983

The APSL/A League 198?-2000

USL 2001-now

MLS-future

Right? Or am I wrong. I think I'm right.

1997 Select League and the former American Professional Soccer League merged to form A-League under the USISL umbrella.

1999 Umbrella USISL changed its name to the modern United Soccer Leagues.

So APSL/A league just changed its name not a new league

I think I figured it out. The Timbers only played 198?-1990 in the APSL from what I can tell. And then reformed later during the A-League days...I think. Anyway, not much of an "era". I think I was thinking the Sounders and Timbers did it all together, but the Timbers folded in 1990. Seattle is now named my "New Champions of American Soccer Perseverance ...ers" which is a nonexistent award I just made up and will now forget.

I think most people would be extremely happy if that were the crest. Taken the clues and used them well actually.

Although I keep thinking the actual crest is just going to be an abomination. I hope not.

agreed about grub's work, but I don't think the real mark will be an abomination, because RARE is doing the logo, and they produce quality (including work from our very own Ben Barnes ;)).

also, grubstreet, i think the axe blade should be a bit more curved like the previous timbers' crest...

one

I changed up the ax a bit. the clue pointed out strength, precision and exactness. i tried to replicate a modern axe as opposed to the older, curvier one. And I thought Nemo was doing the design. They're portland based, and already created the 2011 site and do all of their ad campaigns.....

At some point Merrit said Nemo was not doing the logo design which is good. They are doing some of the Marketing, the website design and the MAX ads as well as the fussball tables. Camp Grizzly is doing the commercials, and a third company is doing the logo.

4592950395_ecb4e14b14_o.png4593568880_52fa798bdd_o.png

Archived