Portland Timbers to have a new logo for MLS Debut

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All 3 teams are keeping their existing names right?

I know the Whitecaps are, despite some initial suggestions that they might look at other names. I think Vancouver's jersey unveiling is next month sometime.

As far as I know, Vancouver & Portland will keep there names. Montreal, maybe not so much. Read on MLS rumors that they go for the NASL name, the Olympiques, but this could have been a April Fool's joke.

baltimoreravens.png

As much as I'm opposed to the use of the Sounders nickname for the Seattle MLS franchise because it was used prior in the minor leagues, I love the Timbers and Whitecaps nicknames for some reason. Not sure why, but I guess it fits. Not because of history as much but because of how it rolls off of the tongue. While where on the subject, I hate the name "Impact" for the Montreal franchise. They need to get somewhat more creative and get completely away from that nickname. It sounds like a defunct team from a city league soccer organization. Just terrible IMO. Please choose something else.

As far as I know, Vancouver & Portland will keep there names. Montreal, maybe not so much. Read on MLS rumors that they go for the NASL name, the Olympiques, but this could have been a April Fool's joke.

Maybe a return to Euro naming ....Olympique Montreal/ Olympique Marseille....a nod to the French heritage in the city perhaps..

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

I do recall reading some where that they used the name Impact because all the sign-age in Montreal needs to be in English and in French. Impact was chosen because its a word that means the same in English and in French. That way they can use one logo the Fleur-de-lis with the word Impact on it. I like the idea of Olympique but then you are getting those euro haters with the naming and the chance that the team maybe referred to as 2 different names.

I do recall reading some where that they used the name Impact because all the sign-age in Montreal needs to be in English and in French. Impact was chosen because its a word that means the same in English and in French. That way they can use one logo the Fleur-de-lis with the word Impact on it. I like the idea of Olympique but then you are getting those euro haters with the naming and the chance that the team maybe referred to as 2 different names.

Why would they be known by 2 different names? Whatever they name it, whether it be in french or english will be the name. It won't be translated. You don't see the Canadiens names spelled with an a in the english print.

Actually, Montreal sports teams have had to translate names or choose names in French specifically due to the langauge laws in Quebec. That is why so many teams in Montreal try to use words that are the same in both languages.

Remember the Montreal Machine of the WLAF.

Montreal Alouettes (no English version given.)

Montreal Concordes

Montreal Expos (Les Expos)

Even the CFL is the LFC in Montreal and I believe the NHL has other initials as well.

So, They need a name that works in French, and if it works in English as well, great.

Olympiques makes sense.

Montreal Force

Montreal Voyageurs

Montreal Fechezlavache!!!! (monty python reference, sorry)

They might be better off going with initials like CD (Club Deportif)

I expect Impact to say. Current names with history are the best. (Bringing back names that haven't been used in ages is dumb... especially league names... looking right at you, NASL...)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hopefully the Timbers stick close to what they have

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

The NASL....why so many people seem to see it as the high point of pro soccer in North America is beyond me. MLS seems to be on the right track.

Probably depends on the age group. The 40 somethings may have had their first pro soccer experience with the NASL, The Cosmos, Pele, etc. and there is a little nostalgia involved. Completely agree with the MLS being on the right track. To pull off expansion and soccer only facilities in a tough economy is fantastic...

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Maybe a return to Euro naming ....Olympique Montreal/ Olympique Marseille....a nod to the French heritage in the city perhaps..

as long as they don't use this abomination...

6025.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

baltimoreravens.png

Actually, Montreal sports teams have had to translate names or choose names in French specifically due to the langauge laws in Quebec. That is why so many teams in Montreal try to use words that are the same in both languages.

Remember the Montreal Machine of the WLAF.

Montreal Alouettes (no English version given.)

Montreal Concordes

Montreal Expos (Les Expos)

Even the CFL is the LFC in Montreal and I believe the NHL has other initials as well.

So, They need a name that works in French, and if it works in English as well, great.

Olympiques makes sense.

Montreal Force

Montreal Voyageurs

Montreal Fechezlavache!!!! (monty python reference, sorry)

They might be better off going with initials like CD (Club Deportif)

Wow, thats just ridiculous to me. Choose one side or the other...but to choose both is silly. Very silly. If they could employ American baseball team nicknames in Japan that I'm pretty sure it could be done for soccer in Canada.

Impact may be a dumb name, but it is the name the team has had for their entire existence. It's the name their very loyal fans know them as, and it's the name the team brand is centred around. From both a fan's perspective and a marketing one keeping the Impact name makes sense.

Archived