Superbowl XLVIII

falcons007

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super Bowl XLVIII goes to New York/New Jersey

Well I hope the Rams suck that year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Shouldn't the idea of a 'neutral field' apply to the weather as well? (And yes, a team could play the SB in its home stadium but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't be a home game given the ticket distribution.) Do you really want the championship potentially decided in Ice Bowl conditions? Would you have wanted to sit in the stands - temp of -9 with wind chill of -59 - at the '82 AFC Championship? Would you to feel your team was robbed of a title (again, see '82 Chargers) because of the weather conditions on a given day? Throw in the travel problems brought on by any winter storm and it's pretty clear this is a dumb idea.

Before the Super Dome, the games played in Tulane Stadium were played in frigid conditions. Super Bowl IX for example was played on a damp 39 degree day, while it did not rain during the game the field was wet. It also was fairly cold for Super Bowl VI.

I know. I was there. :D

So some of you guys are fine with it if you end up with both QBs ineffective due to high winds and freezing temps and the only scoring in the Super Bowl is the three FGs made out of seven attempted? A 6-3 game with nothing but rushing plays all day? Riiiight...and wait until winter weather shuts down the NY area airports for 3 days the week before the game and none of the big shots can get there. Oh yeah, this is going to be great!

In fact, if this SB goes well it'll be the worst thing that can happen because then they'll be encouraged to do it again. And sooner or later, they'll get snakebit.

What maybe bugs me most of all is their 'make history' justification for having the game in NYC. That has to be one of the weakest arguments ever. If that's all you've got to sell an idea, you're reaching big time.

Now don't get me wrong, I love New York. It's a fantastic city and area, but you can't ignore reality and pretend the weather is decent there in February because it often isn't.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well the Super Bowl is officially coming to New Jersey. I'm actually really excited to see a Super Bowl in a place other than the standard locations. Plus, this opens up new doors for northern cities that have held football franchises for decades to finally host the biggest game in football.

TDZiMMB.png

Now don't get me wrong, I love New York. It's a fantastic city and area, but you can't ignore reality and pretend the weather is decent there in February because it often isn't.

Nobody's making that claim. Quite the contrary - the Giants and Jets made ice and snow one of the selling points of their bid.

February is NYC's month of extremes could be warm or it could be extremely cold. Yeah and this really should open the door for more Northern city's wanting to host, unless they really mean that'll they will only waive the cold weather Super Bowl ban once.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well the Super Bowl is officially coming to New Jersey. I'm actually really excited to see a Super Bowl in a place other than the standard locations. Plus, this opens up new doors for northern cities that have held football franchises for decades to finally host the biggest game in football.

No it doesn't, because none of your other cities are New York. Chicago's never going to host one (thank God), nobody important, who is in their right mind wants to go to Buffalo, Cleveland, Kansas City, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh in the winter. While Seattle was an utterly trendy 1990s city, I have trouble seeing the league selling "Come to the Pacific Northwest in Winter" to its beloved VIPs and hangers-on. Similarly, I have trouble seeing he league selling Denver as a site to watch the Super Bowl, because outside of skiing or getting shot at gentlemen's clubs, it doesn't appear that there is a lot to do there. (This also ignores the fact that flying into Denver = Nightmare during winter) FedEx Field sucks, and the phrase "Washington Super Bowl" is synonymous with "Security Nightmare" anyway. Cincinnati, Green Bay, and Foxboro lack the local infrastructure to host a Super Bowl, as do probably Nashville and Charlotte.

Nobody's making that claim. Quite the contrary - the Giants and Jets made ice and snow one of the selling points of their bid.

*blinks*

Is anyone else starting to form the opinion that the NFL has been bent on its own destruction the last few years?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If weather deciding an "important" game such as the Super Bowl is a factor in your thinking, then why not have that thinking for the entire season. What makes the Super Bowl any more important than two teams trying to get there or two teams trying to make the playoffs? By the thinking of some people in this thread and as you read around the internet, all NFL games should be played in domed stadiums, or outdoors only if the weather is 75° and no clouds in the sky. Anything other than that football should be cancled. Real football players and real fans go to a game no matter what. This actually might be a good thing as freezing weather might scare off these rich/corperate people and the game could return to the fans and a price that Joe Average can afford to bring his son to. Freeze out the rich _astards!!!

If weather deciding an "important" game such as the Super Bowl is a factor in your thinking, then why not have that thinking for the entire season. What makes the Super Bowl any more important than two teams trying to get there or two teams trying to make the playoffs? By the thinking of some people in this thread and as you read around the internet, all NFL games should be played in domed stadiums, or outdoors only if the weather is 75° and no clouds in the sky. Anything other than that football should be cancled. Real football players and real fans go to a game no matter what. This actually might be a good thing as freezing weather might scare off these rich/corperate people and the game could return to the fans and a price that Joe Average can afford to bring his son to. Freeze out the rich _astards!!!

The rich _astards made it possible for Joe Average Strawman to enjoy the games every week in the manner that we do now; without the ad money pumped into the league to plug it into our national consciousness, we'd be doing other things. Furthermore, unless you're there to actually be in the company of your fellow fans or like screaming as opposed to watching the football, Joe Average Strawman is better off watching it on TV.

As for why its important that the Super Bowl be weather neutral: When the NFL decided to have a neutral site Super Bowl, it was implicit that the game would be played in conditions that did not unduly benefit one team over the other, that is, weather neutral. If you wanted it to be played that way, you might as well revert to playing at the top seed.

Today, we are all otaku.

... and wait until winter weather shuts down the NY area airports for 3 days the week before the game and none of the big shots can get there.

Winter weather could have shut down Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport in 1992 and Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport in 1982 and 2006. That didn't stop the NFL suits from awarding Super Bowls XVI, XXVI and XL to the Pontiac Silverdome, Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome and Ford Field.

This was a "done deal". The Giants and Jets each ponied-up $650-million in financing towards construction of the New Meadowlands Stadium. The State of New Jersey has spent another $300-million to improve road and rail access to the facility. The NFL regards granting this Super Bowl to the teams and market as a way of rewarding them for successfully getting the stadium built - particularly because said success occurred during a miserable economic downturn. Further, like it or not, the New York City Metropolitan Area is viewed far differently by NFL leadership than any other market is. Factor all of that into the mix and there was never any doubt that Super Bowl XLVIII was going to the New Meadowlands Stadium.

It isn't as if the league is going to make a habit of granting Super Bowls to open-air stadia in cold-weather markets. This will likely be a "one-and-done". One thing was certain: the possibility of bad weather wasn't going to impact the bid one iota. Look, the possibility of a "storm of the century" hitting NYC on or around Super Bowl Sunday wasn't going to impact this bid. It simply wasn't. The potential for a devastating earthquake striking California without warning exists all of the time, but that hasn't stopped the NFL from playing 11 Super Bowls in the state.

Rams80 sure is bitching a lot about something he never did or will have any control over. It's done. Deal with it.

"I hope my Rams suck that year". I sure hope they do too. And every year before, and every year after. That is until they move to LA, or Toronto, or wherever the hell they'll be moving to get out of St. Louis, who has fans that wish their team would suck so they wouldn't have to play the championship game at a particular venue.

Moron.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Rams80 sure is bitching a lot about something he never did or will have any control over. It's done. Deal with it.

"I hope my Rams suck that year". I sure hope they do too. And every year before, and every year after. That is until they move to LA, or Toronto, or wherever the hell they'll be moving to get out of St. Louis, who has fans that wish their team would suck so they wouldn't have to play the championship game at a particular venue.

Moron.

The problem with your barb is that I've wanted the team to leave St. Louis for some time.

Not to mention you seem just as unduly defensive about this. Are you going to the game Kinger? Or are you going to implement the classic local reaction to a pre-arranged sporting event of "I'm going on a week-long vacation somewhere far away from all of these people."

Today, we are all otaku.

My question is why would you wish your team to suck, just so it doesn't play a game in a particular venue? Makes no sense to me.

sB9ijEj.png

As for why its important that the Super Bowl be weather neutral: When the NFL decided to have a neutral site Super Bowl, it was implicit that the game would be played in conditions that did not unduly benefit one team over the other, that is, weather neutral. If you wanted it to be played that way, you might as well revert to playing at the top seed.

People who insist upon a "weather neutral" Super Bowl site for the purposes of creating "conditions" that don't "unduly benefit one team over the other" are presuming that the championship game will always pit a warm-weather or climate-controlled franchise versus a cold-weather franchise. However, what difference will playing Super Bowl XLVIII in Greater New York make if it pits the Chicago Bears versus the New England Patriots? What difference will said cold-weather site make if the Green Bay Packers and Buffalo Bills square-off in the game? Similarly, which team would "benefit" in a cold-weather Super Bowl pitting the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders against one another? How about the San Diego Chargers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

My question is why would you wish your team to suck, just so it doesn't play a game in a particular venue? Makes no sense to me.

Because knowing this franchise's "luck", they would succeed in rebuilding a GSOT-style team for that one season alone, get to the one outdoor cold weather Super Bowl in league history.....and encounter a freak 3 foot blizzard with white out conditions.

Things along that line happen far more often than they should for the Rams. That's why I'd prefer the franchise not be in a position for those things to happen.

Today, we are all otaku.

So you'd be upset the Super Bowl wasn't tailor-made for a team that has made itself into a one trick pony?

Maybe your Rams should try to build a complete football team, instead of trying to be a specialized dome/turf monster. That way, God Forbid they make it to Super Bowl XLVIII, they won't have to worry about being "out of their element", so to speak...

sB9ijEj.png

People who insist upon a "weather neutral" Super Bowl site for the purposes of creating "conditions" that don't "unduly benefit one team over the other" are presuming that the championship game will always pit a warm-weather or climate-controlled franchise versus a cold-weather franchise. However, what difference will playing Super Bowl XLVIII in Greater New York make if it pits the Chicago Bears versus the New England Patriots? What difference will said cold-weather site make if the Green Bay Packers and Buffalo Bills square-off in the game? Similarly, which team would "benefit" in a cold-weather Super Bowl pitting the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders against one another? How about the San Diego Chargers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

It may not happen every year, but the decent chance that it could exists every year. Consider it insurance on the league's part.

Bottom line: Cold teams can succeed and excel in the warmth as well as warm weather teams do. Warm weather teams have been less successful in the cold, historically. As you said yourself, this will likely be a scheduling aberration. I just ask, why expose your league's showcase to the risk that weather will determine the champion in this one instance. But I guess if the league survived the legitimacy of other championships being questioned, what's one more instance?

Today, we are all otaku.

So you'd be upset the Super Bowl wasn't tailor-made for a team that has made itself into a one trick pony?

Aren't defense-first, running back smash football teams like your Giants one trick ponies?

It sounds to me that you want the same thing you claim I want. The Super Bowl to be played in a setting that "only" benefits your team.

/Ironically, didn't your Giants do better against the Patriots in a warm neutral site setting?

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived