Superbowl XLVIII

falcons007

I dont think the NFL is going to make a habit of cold weather sites...

Agreed.

... and the only other cold weather city that I think could even make the case for hosting one would be Boston.

Really? I'm from Boston and even I believe that Chicago would make a more compelling case to play host to a cold-weather Super Bowl. It is...

* the third-largest municipality in the country in terms of population;

* the core city of the third-largest metropolitan area in the country;

* a major transportation hub;

* home to a plethora of cultural/entertainment diversions;

* home to a legacy NFL franchise.

The only reason I didnt include Chicago on that list is because its a natural grass field thats usually dead come week 10. Sure they could re-sod it, but Im assuming it wouldnt stand a chance in the conditions. The day they drop some new FieldTurf in the place is when their possibility of hosting one goes up, imho.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.

... and the only other cold weather city that I think could even make the case for hosting one would be Boston.

Really? I'm from Boston and even I believe that Chicago would make a more compelling case to play host to a cold-weather Super Bowl. It is...

The only reason I didnt include Chicago on that list is because its a natural grass field thats usually dead come week 10. Sure they could re-sod it, but Im assuming it wouldnt stand a chance in the conditions. The day they drop some new FieldTurf in the place is when their possibility of hosting one goes up, imho.

Why? Whoever thinks the SB should be played on a nice field should grow some balls and deal with it. Football was meant to be played on whatever field is available. You think the Monsters of the Midway or Lombardi's Packers had new sod or namby-pamby Field Turf? They played on green grass, brown grass, or no grass at all.

Sorry, just thought I'd apply the 'cold/bad weather is great for the SB' logic to the field itself. :rolleyes:

I'm actually a fan of so-called "weather games" like some of those Denver blizzard deals. One is featured in Everybody's All-American, which is a pretty decent sports movie for anyone who hasn't seen it. But back on topic, my personal opinion is that the Super Bowl (or any championship final) should be played in the best weather and field conditions possible.

I'm sure some Chargers fan is still playing "if only" about that '82 AFC Championship game and that's kind of the point: we'll never know who the better team was, we only know who the better team in a -59 wind chill was. Is that fair? Tough call. I'll even admit a little hypocrisy and say my opinion is that it's ok for the conference title games because teams should have to earn their way to the SB and part of that is playing on the road in potentially harsh conditions. Once they're in the SB though, it serves everyone best if the game is decided by the players and not the weather or the field.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Agreed.

Agreed. I hate the Bears with a white-hot intensity, but there's a very compelling case to be made for them hosting a Super Bowl. And after the New York Super Bowl succeeds, I suspect that might start trying to make it.

If all this fuss is about weather and travel, why is Indianapolis not given any grief? They are not in the southern region, so it's not like their temperatures are soaring into the 80s during February. It does snow in Indiana.

To be fair we get our fair share of 65-degree February days <_<

If all this fuss is about weather and travel, why is Indianapolis not given any grief? They are not in the southern region, so it's not like their temperatures are soaring into the 80s during February. It does snow in Indiana.

You missed the discussion earlier in the thread regarding Indy. This will likely be a one shot game, and while the logistics will be better than what we had at Jacksonville, there will probably be a decent amount of negativity about the entertainment options.

Yes. It's going to be weird hearing the media blast Indy, but it'll probably happen. I mean what is there to do here? Aside from going to Circle Center are you going to go watch a Pacers game? :P

6fQjS3M.png

Agreed.

Agreed. I hate the Bears with a white-hot intensity, but there's a very compelling case to be made for them hosting a Super Bowl. And after the New York Super Bowl succeeds, I suspect that might start trying to make it.

I don't think you quite comprehend the money issue here. Illinois is looking at something like a $13 billion budget shortfall. Out of a budget that clocks in at around $23 million. The state's not digging itself out of that hole any time soon. Combine that with nobody else involved being of a "let's spend money" mindset when it comes to things like these, or Chicago also hurting financially, and this just isn't going to work.

Also the NFL mandates that its Super Bowl stadia have seating capacities of around 70,000 IIRC. Soldier Field is about 9,000 short.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A Super Bowl in Chicago would be an unmitigated disaster, and not even the metaphorical pies in the face that Daley & Friends would get if they lobbied for it would make it worth the effort. Paying handsomely to freeze one's nuts off at a crappy stadium on a February evening sounds about as appealing as standing around at a busy DMV without air conditioning. I'm not sure how many ways it has to be said that it would be an eminently unpleasant experience for everyone. BUT THAT'S FOOTBALL

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As long as we're playing REEL LINE MINT with the Super Bowl, I think the big game in Seattle could actually work.

Since the Sonics left, the only sports going on during that time are UW basketball, so there's definitely sports dollars to be spent on a game. The weather will either be windy or rainy, but if they're willing to take that chance in New York, I don't see why it can't translate to the PNW. By 2015/2016, Seattle's light rail system will be a little bit more mature and better able to accommodate an influx of out of town visitors. By then the recession should be over as well, and all of the mixed use hotels/condos that are either under way or paused due to funding should be online.

Basically, Seattle's been preparing itself for big events. Our local political leadership doesn't quite think big enough for something like a Super Bowl in Seattle to happen, but after 2013, who knows?

Plus -- and I don't know if this is a concern of the NFL's -- Seattle would be a great way to tap into the Asian market. Japan and China are close enough to be an destination for wealthy East Asians.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think a SB would be fun in Seattle, that is a great stadium, and it is not really that cold in Seattle from what I understand.

Not really cold, no. But again, likely rainy.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

While I still think it's a horrible idea, Eagles owner Jeff Lurie said that if it opens up to other cold-weather cities, he'd make a big push to get a bid together for Philadelphia.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I just don't need all of the nonsense that goes along with an event like that reeking havoc on the city for those weeks. Same reason I would never want the Olympics here. I think these kinds of events are great for a lot of cities, but other than the economic impact (which is debatable), I don't see how the city can benefit from it, considering (like many of the big East coast cities) it doesn't really need the exposure, and already does extremely well tourism wise.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived