Superbowl XLVIII

falcons007

How funny would it be if it was a uncommon 60 degree day. LoL. Im not a fan of a cold weather championship game but what kinda pisses me off the most, is the stupid "logo system". They could have used apples or lady liberty, so many potential ideas for logos and now its plain and boring.

iq5b7nF.png

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope there's a blizzard and it's 12 below zero just so all the people who wanted to see a "cold weather" Super Bowl will realize just how stupid a idea this really is. Flame away.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

OK journalists and warm weather cities, if you're so angry about this, how about applying to host the 2013 Grey Cup just for the heck of it? ^_^

I've not been to Canada in November but it isn't nearly as bad as anywhere north of Georgia in early February would be is it?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Kudos to the NFL for awarding the Super Bowl to a cold-climate city with an open-air stadium. This is the way any Championship game should be played, just like back in the day. Superbowls in warm-climate cities or indoor stadiums are for sissy-marys! LET IT SNOW! LET IT SNOW!! LET IT SNOW!!!

On third thought, what irks me with this the most is that it is an aberration in Super Bowl scheduling. If the NFL had made a habit of playing outdoor Super Bowls in the cold in the past, or seriously planned on plugging New York into the Super Bowl rotation every 3 or 4 years, I'd probably be fine with this. Instead we likely have a league that (ironically) is increasing its emphasis on high powered precision passing attacks saying to the 2013-14 Conference champs (one of which, at least, likely did get to the game with such an offense) "Oh, Bad luck dear chaps. You get to play in the one cold, possibly snowy, outdoor Super Bowl for the next 3 to 4 decades."

This is an excellent point. Determining the championship in inclement weather will be terrible, considering the way the game has been massaged and manipulated into dueling passing (or rather, pass interference) games.

Oh and the rain in Super Bowl XLI sucked except for the visual of the rainfall during Prince's halftime show.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am a Jet fan, I always thought it was never the right Idea to build the stadium in Ny and would've loved the West Side Stadium. Trust me it it is a con that it is in NJ but if I had to travel to that superbowl I would be staying in NYC NJ is boring as hell in the winter. I would love the idea of a superbowl in greenbay also, may be boring as F*** but it has so much history and is a great stadium. Did you make that logo JFK?

Green Bay certainly can't have the hotel space, media facilities, and everything else that's necessary for an event like the Super Bowl, right? If Jacksonville fell flat on its face, I can't imagine Green Bay is any better. Come to think of it, how is Indianapolis going to pull this off? I know that they hold the Final Four there, but I'd assume that much more is required for the Super Bowl. I didn't think that Indy was a large enough city to host the bowl.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Green Bay certainly can't have the hotel space, media facilities, and everything else that's necessary for an event like the Super Bowl, right? If Jacksonville fell flat on its face, I can't imagine Green Bay is any better. Come to think of it, how is Indianapolis going to pull this off? I know that they hold the Final Four there, but I'd assume that much more is required for the Super Bowl. I didn't think that Indy was a large enough city to host the bowl.

Several very big-arsed hotels have gone up in the last few years since the announcement of the game in the vicinity of the stadium. It's still probably not going to be enough, but at least the interstate infrastructure is "sort of" developed enough to get you to the suburbs. It's still probably going to be a small-scale disaster. Not "Jesus Christ, we need to pull out of Jacksonville yesterday" bad, but there will be complaints.

As for Green Bay. To paraphrase myself from earlier: At best, every hotel room between there and Port Washington would be booked. At worst, every hotel room from Green Bay to Racine would be booked. The town can handle a typical NFL Game Day. There's no way in hell the town can handle the two-week Super Bowl extravaganza.

-----------------------------

The more I look at Green Bay, the more I think it would easily top the Jacksonville disaster. There is :censored: all to do in the town outside of watching football (at least in terms of what the visitors would want to do), and to describe getting there as a "nightmare" might be an understatement; the Green Bay airport is waaaay to small to handle Super Bowl traffic, and the closest one that could is Milwaukee....and the only way to get from Milwaukee to Green Bay besides country backroads is stretch of your basic 4-lane interstate.

-----------------------------------

And on second thought, Indy's hotel carrying capacity probably will be sufficient. The city is able to handle the 500 after all.*

*-that said, the best advice I have gotten and can give after spending most of the last six years in Indiana is to not go anywhere near the city during Memorial Day weekend. Traffic is a literal madhouse, and Indy is pretty much packed to the seams during that brief period.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Several very big-arsed hotels have gone up in the last few years since the announcement of the game in the vicinity of the stadium. It's still probably not going to be enough, but at least the interstate infrastructure is "sort of" developed enough to get you to the suburbs. It's still probably going to be a small-scale disaster. Not "Jesus Christ, we need to pull out of Jacksonville yesterday" bad, but there will be complaints.

As for Green Bay. To paraphrase myself from earlier: At best, every hotel room between there and Port Washington would be booked. At worst, every hotel room from Green Bay to Racine would be booked. The town can handle a typical NFL Game Day. There's no way in hell the town can handle the two-week Super Bowl extravaganza.

Indy will have added 2,000+ rooms downtown by February 2011 with a keystone property in a 1,000 room JW Marriott. The downtown skywalk will have 12 hotels, more than 4,700 rooms connected to the media center. It is a good "event town". If they can handle 48 hours of the 500 or Brickyard, the Final Four, and even Formula One, they should be able to handle the Super Bowl (especially with a new airport terminal).

As for Green Bay, visiting teams during the regular season do not even stay in town. They stay in Appleton at the Radisson Paper Valley (30 minutes away). Then there is the question of a second practice facility, and people flying in/out of MKE, ORD/MDW, and even MSP.

The bigger issue with Indianapolis is, "how can we entertain all these celebrities, VIPs, and their entourages for nearly two bloody weeks?" That's where the city runs into trouble, and that's where the complaints will come from. The nearest beach is roughly 150 miles to the North....and toxic.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The bigger issue with Indianapolis is, "how can we entertain all these celebrities, VIPs, and their entourages for nearly two bloody weeks?" That's where the city runs into trouble, and that's where the complaints will come from. The nearest beach is roughly 150 miles to the North....and toxic.

While the game is two weeks following the Conference title games, that week before will just be setup, as even the media does not show up until eight days out. That is just more time to drive more limos in, upgrade/service the equipment at the Bally's/24 Hour Fitness, disinfect all tanning booths, order more coffee for celebs (and Peter King), and have liquor distributors deliver more vodka. The "tourist fan" is going to be the one who may suffer with the liquor laws in Indiana (and even Texas since liquor stores are closed at 9 pm on Saturdays and are not open Sundays. Get your hard stuff early.)

The bigger issue with Indianapolis is, "how can we entertain all these celebrities, VIPs, and their entourages for nearly two bloody weeks?"

IBlogosign.gif

The bigger issue with Indianapolis is, "how can we entertain all these celebrities, VIPs, and their entourages for nearly two bloody weeks?"

IBlogosign.gif

Won't the lake it's on be frozen, though? Or at least too cold to serve that purpose?

CCSLC signature.png

IBlogosign.gif

Of course there's more than corn. There's soybeans too.

The liquor laws are going to get somebody murdered that week. I'm not sure who, but a bunch of liquor stores are probably going to end up getting knocked over, and some will likely get out of hand.

Also dfwabel forgot one added issue. Indiana requires 2 forms of government-issued identification for liquor sales. On the bright side, if something can explode, it's likely you can buy it in state lines for some ridiculously low price. Indiana can be quite schizophrenic.

Today, we are all otaku.

Hasn't Indianapolis been positioning itself as a convention town for a while now? I can't imagine they're going to screw this up that badly. I mean, it'll suck, because it's Indiana, but it's not going to be an abject failure like Jacksonville.

Bookman Swash is one of my favorite typefaces, by the way.

Hasn't Indianapolis been positioning itself as a convention town for a while now? I can't imagine they're going to screw this up that badly. I mean, it'll suck, because it's Indiana, but it's not going to be an abject failure like Jacksonville.

Bookman Swash is one of my favorite typefaces, by the way.

That's pretty much my take (if you hadn't guessed). There are going to be issues because bottom line, there isn't a whole lot to do in this part of the country in early February, and even less that interests Indianapolis' likely guests. At the same time, however, we probably won't come away from the game saying that the NFL needs to pull out of the city pronto.

Today, we are all otaku.

IBlogosign.gif

Of course there's more than corn. There's soybeans too.

The liquor laws are going to get somebody murdered that week. I'm not sure who, but a bunch of liquor stores are probably going to end up getting knocked over, and some will likely get out of hand.

Also dfwabel forgot one added issue. Indiana requires 2 forms of government-issued identification for liquor sales. On the bright side, if something can explode, it's likely you can buy it in state lines for some ridiculously low price. Indiana can be quite schizophrenic.

Last time there was 2008. We did not have to buy any alcohol, but I did go to a supermarket. I do remember that all beer in supermarkets is warm (no wine sold there) and I was told that there are still no package alcohol sales in Indiana on Sundays and Election Days. Bars can sell by the drink.

As for next year, there are parts of the Metroplex which are still DRY. Dallas, Tarrant (Fort Worth), Collin (Plano/Allen) and Denton Counties have parts which are still day and scannong of IDs are needed to drink. This is probably most important for companies which will base themselves in Collin County/Plano.

Dallas is once again voting on the wet/dry issue. Believe me if you grew up there (like I did) you know exactly how far and in what direction to go.

I was transferred from the Metroplex in 2008, but still follow that local news (Karen Borta) more than any of the six cities I lived in prior. I forgot that there are even parts of south Arlington which were dry until you reminded me. Even South Arlington Hooters had free beer for three years before they got a license to sell beer in 2007. Radio ads on the establishment of new liquor stores have been made when given out.

The tax issue should asist in allowing alcohol sales

Archived