Superbowl XLVIII

falcons007

i agree with the thoughts about the weather shouldnt play a factor in deciding the superbowl champion - but if you take that theory far enough then no venue will have a fair playing field - hot weather will favour the chargers over the packers or bears (just hypothetically speaking - the bears aren't going to be in the SB :) ). dome stadium will favour dome teams, different playing surfaces will favour quicker or slower teams and the list goes on.

"Warm" weather does not favor anyone. Indeed, the warm weather of the South in February is the same as your typical September-early October day up in the North. All the players are used to it, and can excel in it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't FedEx field fairly new?

I have done work in that place plenty of times, from before it was open up until last year. And it is a dump! JKC built that on the cheap in every way possible, then Danny Boy shoved even more seats into it. The maintenance staff work very hard keeping it in working condition but it is really in rough shape for a place that is not that old.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

[A]nyone notice that Atlanta isnt in the rotation anymore? Hasnt hosted a game in ten years because of an ice storm that hit the city during Super Bowl week 2000, even though the city handled the situation fine?

Actually there was also one during the week of Super Bowl XXVIII. Two Super Bowls in Atlanta, two winter storms. If that's enough to scare off the NFL even with the game itself played indoors, a bid to play outdoors in cold weather has no shot.

As I pointed out in a different thread not long ago, there are also some significant logistical problems involved in playing the Super Bowl outdoors in cold weather - or to be more precise, playing where it's not only cold, but has the potential to turn downright nasty. Remember, NYC/NJ is right in the middle of Nor'easter territory, and the Super Bowl is played in February, in the middle of Nor'easter season. What happens if one hits NYC/NJ during Super Bowl week?

CCSLC signature.png

I have done work in that place plenty of times, from before it was open up until last year. And it is a dump! JKC built that on the cheap in every way possible, then Danny Boy shoved even more seats into it. The maintenance staff work very hard keeping it in working condition but it is really in rough shape for a place that is not that old.

I've only been to just a few NFL stadiums, but FedEx is by far the worst. The seats are at steep, horrible angles, there's absolutely nothing within miles of the stadium, and it's ridiculously expensive.

Not that I think it's a good idea to tear down 13-year-old stadiums, but I doubt anyone would miss it if it were gone.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've only been to just a few NFL stadiums, but FedEx is by far the worst. The seats are at steep, horrible angles, there's absolutely nothing within miles of the stadium, and it's ridiculously expensive.

Not that I think it's a good idea to tear down 13-year-old stadiums, but I doubt anyone would miss it if it were gone.

As long as a new stadium would be built in DC, no Redskins fan would shed a tear.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

When I first heard the idea of having a game in New York, I hated it. Yet, today as I was reading articles, it hit me. It would be awesome, not only with the possibility of snow, but I think the atmosphere of the Super Bowl in New York and around New York City would be epic and off the charts. I think it would have an electricity no other Super Bowl has had. Heck, you could put the two worst teams there and it would be electric. The more I think about it, the more I think it would work very well the first time. Now how a second or third Super Bowl would work years down the line, I have no idea, but I know the first one would be an awesome atmosphere.

Millions, if not billions, of dollars change hands on this game. With those financial stakes, the NFL is not going to put itself in a position where the weather can have a dramatic effect on the game. A Nor'Easter during Super Bowl week would be an unmitigated disaster.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Interesting, if JKC skimped hard on the place then thats to be expected. For what little I saw of it I thought it was certainly still a serviceable stadium, but incredibly bland nonetheless. Still I'd hate to see a building likely abandoned and destroyed less then half way through its projected lifespan.

When I first heard the idea of having a game in New York, I hated it. Yet, today as I was reading articles, it hit me. It would be awesome, not only with the possibility of snow, but I think the atmosphere of the Super Bowl in New York and around New York City would be epic and off the charts. I think it would have an electricity no other Super Bowl has had. Heck, you could put the two worst teams there and it would be electric. The more I think about it, the more I think it would work very well the first time. Now how a second or third Super Bowl would work years down the line, I have no idea, but I know the first one would be an awesome atmosphere.

Thats a huge reason why I think it being a cold weather site, there, will work. Now would it work in any other cold weather outdoor stadium outside the NYC market, including DC? Im not really optimistic.

Thats a huge reason why I think it being a cold weather site, there, will work. Now would it work in any other cold weather outdoor stadium outside the NYC market, including DC? Im not really optimistic.

Yeah but it's not like local fans actually go to the Super Bowl. It's either the corporate sponsors, celebrities, or fans of the competing teams. The atmosphere in NY is really irrelevant once the game starts. Plus, it's the goddam super bowl - it's not like anyone there can get any more excited. The stuff leading up to it is big too though, and the point holds there. But as long as it's never in a place like Jacksonville ever again, it's fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah but it's not like local fans actually go to the Super Bowl. It's either the corporate sponsors, celebrities, or fans of the competing teams. The atmosphere in NY is really irrelevant once the game starts. Plus, it's the goddam super bowl - it's not like anyone there can get any more excited. The stuff leading up to it is big too though, and the point holds there. But as long as it's never in a place like Jacksonville ever again, it's fine.

Exactly, and New York is a breeding ground for corporations, celebrities, media, and the fans will have plenty to take in even outside of anything associated with the NFL. The nations biggest sporting event in the nations biggest city, its a cant miss for the league. Even with inclement weather its not like the city cant handle it, and a good portion of the aforementioned people likely live or do business in the city already.

Exactly, and New York is a breeding ground for corporations, celebrities, media, and the fans will have plenty to take in even outside of anything associated with the NFL. The nations biggest sporting event in the nations biggest city, its a cant miss for the league. Even with inclement weather its not like the city cant handle it, and a good portion of the aforementioned people likely live or do business in the city already.

But don't many of them live/work there already? I thought the appeal of the Super Bowl to them was the vacation opportunity to go to someplace else.

Today, we are all otaku.

I cant speak to the rich or famous and those that live in NYC, since Im not any of those but the city has become what it is for a reason, holding how ever many big time events it does in any given year. Bringing in the Super Bowl as a one off I imagine would have the same sort of draw any other high profile event in the city has.

You could hold the Super Bowl in Antartica or the Sahara Desert and people would show up. It's not where it's located that matters, it's what it is. It's bigger than the weather and the teams in it. It's not a sporting event and the game actually no longer matters. It's a media event and being there is what matters. You could have a Super Bowl Week and pregame show, the commercials and not have teams show up, and few would miss the game. The teams don't matter except to the small percentage of football fans. That's why New York or wherever you put the game doesn't matter and nor does the weather. Come to the realization that it is no longer a game, but a spectacle where they happen to play a game that is an annoyance to all the hoopla and events that go on prior to it. You want pure excitement for a championship football game? Go to small division college football or high school state championship game. You want pure media hype where the game means nothing, go to the Super Bowl.

Shouldn't the idea of a 'neutral field' apply to the weather as well? (And yes, a team could play the SB in its home stadium but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't be a home game given the ticket distribution.) Do you really want the championship potentially decided in Ice Bowl conditions? Would you have wanted to sit in the stands - temp of -9 with wind chill of -59 - at the '82 AFC Championship? Would you to feel your team was robbed of a title (again, see '82 Chargers) because of the weather conditions on a given day? Throw in the travel problems brought on by any winter storm and it's pretty clear this is a dumb idea.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Shouldn't the idea of a 'neutral field' apply to the weather as well? (And yes, a team could play the SB in its home stadium but as others have pointed out, it wouldn't be a home game given the ticket distribution.) Do you really want the championship potentially decided in Ice Bowl conditions? Would you have wanted to sit in the stands - temp of -9 with wind chill of -59 - at the '82 AFC Championship? Would you to feel your team was robbed of a title (again, see '82 Chargers) because of the weather conditions on a given day? Throw in the travel problems brought on by any winter storm and it's pretty clear this is a dumb idea.

Before the Super Dome, the games played in Tulane Stadium were played in frigid conditions. Super Bowl IX for example was played on a damp 39 degree day, while it did not rain during the game the field was wet. It also was fairly cold for Super Bowl VI.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Before the Super Dome, the games played in Tulane Stadium were played in frigid conditions. Super Bowl IX for example was played on a damp 39 degree day, while it did not rain during the game the field was wet. It also was fairly cold for Super Bowl VI.

And back in the day, we used to watch super bowls on 13" black and white TVs. Just because something used to be some what is not a justification for keeping it the same way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And you know what Tank? Super Bowl IX fairly well sucked from what I recall reading and seeing.

And I'd rather not see the league championship put in a position where people are potentially assigning weather-related asterisks. I like my champions to have as minimal dispute as possible.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived