Superbowl XLVIII

falcons007

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just love how everyone is already calling for snow. They don't know the weather tomorrow let along 2014.

I live 20 minutes from the Meadowlands. Believe it or not, there are plenty of days when it actually doesn't snow here in the winter. I mean, it's not like we're in Buffalo or something like that :P .

That being said, of course it COULD snow, who the hell knows? What I do know is that it's not going to be my problem or your problem.

Everyone brings up the -59 windchill AFC Championship game or the Ice Bowl or whatever. Let me tell you, there's usually only 3-4 day stretch where it gets brutally cold each winter, and even then temperatures "still" only bottom out in the low single digits, on the worst of the worst nights.

I'm just saying why is it automatically going to be a 4' blizzard where the temp is -52? Why couldn't it be clear, calm, and 31 at kickoff? It's a gamble, they're taking it, just shut up about it because it is what it is, and chances are you'll be watching on a couch in a climate-controlled room.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Good for New Jersey and New York. So what if it's cold. People that complain about the weather, grow some balls.

You really don't comprehend the issue here, do you?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dallas is once again voting on the wet/dry issue. Believe me if you grew up there (like I did) you know exactly how far and in what direction to go.

If you're a drinker I guess. I lived there from '91 to '01 and never realized it was an issue. B)

As for the so what if it's cold/grow some balls/STFU bunch, how many of you have ever sat in a stadium for 3 or 4 hours in freezing temps and dealt with trying to get to/from the stadium on icy roads, and paid over $1000 a ticket to do it? Remember, the SB crowd is not your usual bare-beer-belly with a big letter painted on it in 10-degree weather fan base.

Perhaps of most concern is travel to/from the chosen city. It should be evident to anyone who travels (or watches the news in winter) that by going to a cold-weather climate for the biggest NFL event of the year, they're throwing out a "bring it on" to Mother Nature. If she answers, they could be in real trouble because a blizzard (and ATC) doesn't care if you're in a middle seat in coach to LaGuardia or your personal Gulfstream headed to Teterboro - everybody's going to be on the ground in Columbus refueling and waiting for the ground stop to be lifted.

t1larg.laguardia.cnn.jpg

Yeah, just what everybody wants for Super Bowl week. :wacko:

And doesn't the fact they've traditionally limited the SB to warm-weather sites kind of prove the point?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Good for New Jersey and New York. So what if it's cold. People that complain about the weather, grow some balls.

You really don't comprehend the issue here, do you?

No, he doesn't.

Not surprisingly, he's the only one who failed to ignore your silly straw man. tongue.gif

Say what?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So I looked up the average February temperature in East Rutherford, NJ. Based on the graph I saw, it's around 35-40 degrees daytime and around 20-25 at night. Not great but not awful either. Sounds about like the average conditions of a late December game in Cleveland. Yahoo. Where do I sign up to spend 5 grand on that trip?

BB52Big.jpg

To be fair BlueSky, and I hate this NY/NJ idea as much as anyone, the travel conditions you bring up could just as easily stop flights to Miami or Tampa.

From one area of the country to those destinations maybe, but I'm pretty sure that in recorded history a local blizzard has never delayed flights in Miami or Tampa. My point is that one good winter storm in the NY/NJ area would mean no travel in or out of there from anywhere else.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

How about everyone who does not agree with this Super Bowl choice, do like Rams80 is doing, and pray your team is awful that season, and then don't watch it.

Protest this injustice of climatological ignorance!

64°-80° or FIGHT!

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Protest this injustice of climatological ignorance!

64°-80° or FIGHT!

I lol'd.

As a one off Im all for this. I dont think the NFL is going to make a habit of cold weather sites, and the only other cold weather city that I think could even make the case for hosting one would be Boston.

My point is that one good winter storm in the NY/NJ area would mean no travel in or out of there from anywhere else.

A "good winter storm" in the Detroit or Minneapolis-St. Paul areas could have grounded flights in or out of Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport or Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. Yet, the powers-that-be at NFL headquarters didn't hesitate to award Super Bowls XVI and XL to the Greater Detroit area and Super Bowl XXVI to the Twin Cities. Nothing dramatic happened. The teams, their fans, NFL corporate partners and the media all arrived safely and the games were played. The suits were willing to take their chances then and they're obviously willing to take the chance this time.

I dont think the NFL is going to make a habit of cold weather sites...

Agreed.

... and the only other cold weather city that I think could even make the case for hosting one would be Boston.

Really? I'm from Boston and even I believe that Chicago would make a more compelling case to play host to a cold-weather Super Bowl. It is...

* the third-largest municipality in the country in terms of population;

* the core city of the third-largest metropolitan area in the country;

* a major transportation hub;

* home to a plethora of cultural/entertainment diversions;

* home to a legacy NFL franchise.

Archived