Challenges And Contests Section

zoneranger

Would you like to see the challenges and contests moved to their own section of the board?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We could still keep the WIN challenge seperate however as it seems to be our olympics.

Good analogy, but since it comes along more than once every two years, I'd liken it more to a "major" in golf of a "grand slam event" in tennis.

The WIN Challenge - the Wimbledon of CCSLC

I disagree... not every contest appeals to every user. If there is a limit, you may find yourself waiting around for weeks before something you want to participate in comes up. Then, you might be busy that week and have to wait for 3 more weeks.

I think there's a direct relationship between the activity rate around the boards and the number of challenges that pop up. There is a bit a of heavy load of challenges right now, but they seem to have had a decent turnout. I've had some spare time and was able to participate in 3. There are other times when there's only one that's in progress, but everyone's busy and it only gets 3 entries.

I still like the idea of having a separate section. It might actually help regulate the load, because people should be hesitant to post a contest if they can see, at a quick glance, that there are several already underway.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

We could still keep the WIN challenge seperate however as it seems to be our olympics.

Good analogy, but since it comes along more than once every two years, I'd liken it more to a "major" in golf of a "grand slam event" in tennis.

The WIN Challenge - the Wimbledon of CCSLC

^_^ Does that mean every second concept gets rained out? Does webdav have to speak with a British accent? Does JQK get to play McEnroe and cuss out every voter?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I disagree... not every contest appeals to every user. If there is a limit, you may find yourself waiting around for weeks before something you want to participate in comes up. Then, you might be busy that week and have to wait for 3 more weeks.

I think there's a direct relationship between the activity rate around the boards and the number of challenges that pop up. There is a bit a of heavy load of challenges right now, but they seem to have had a decent turnout. I've had some spare time and was able to participate in 3. There are other times when there's only one that's in progress, but everyone's busy and it only gets 3 entries.

I still like the idea of having a separate section. It might actually help regulate the load, because people should be hesitant to post a contest if they can see, at a quick glance, that there are several already underway.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement. A lot of challenges I see only have like 3 or 4 participants. I think something like this could get huge participation amounts.

As for a competition that suits someone: I have seen tons of competitions and I only feel compelled to join only very few of them, which is like 3 or 4 weeks apart anyway.

I actually have changed my mind, based on this post.

I totally agree. Natural selection affects everything, and contests are not excluded. If the contest sucks, no one will enter. If it is lame, it only takes up about two lines of your screen, so it should be easy to ignore.

Bring on the contests! But be warned. If you post a thinly guised request as a contest, I may have to break your clavicle.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I hear the natural selection argument, but I'm not convinced. Having a one or two CCSLMB contests of the week would make them an event, something that designers would want to check out and enter. Lately, there's been so many contests that, were it not for my moderatorial obligation to ensure no tom-foolery escapes my notice, I would disregard them completely.

Besides, if a contest doesn't appeal to you, don't enter. But what if I want to enter a contest, you say? Well, you've got 3 choices: 1) suck it up and stretch yourself as a designer, and enter a contest you're not all that motivated to, 2) make whatever-the-heck you want for a concept, and post it as a random concept, and get feedback the old-fashioned way, or 3) grab a cereal box from your local grocery store, and enter whatever contest they're offering, and get a chance to win something worth more than bragging rights and a line in your signature.

Hey, I'm sounding a little rough. If it sounds like I feel strongly about this issue, I really don't all thaaat much. Would I like to see a setup like shiznit suggested? Yes, I would. Is the way we have it right now that terrible? No, it's not. I just think it would be good for the community and generally better overall.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm on the fence about a new section. I can see the argument for one, or limiting the number of them per week, but there isn't SO many of them that I think they should be moved (banished) to a new area just to get them the heck out of the logo forum.

I still have the ability to just not read the threads I'm not interested in and currently that's not an overwhelming amount for me.

If forced to pick I'd say no, not just yet...

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Honestly, I stick to two basic sections of this board: Sports Logos and General Discussion. I took part in Canmerica before for about three days, but then the more than impressive Empire of Tukeisix appeared and scared everyone away...

Anywho, I'd rather keep the logo/jersey contests on the Sports Logos board, because if we move them I feel like it'd just be creating another board for the same thing (logo and jersey designs) and that'd be silly. Leave them where they are but institute a couple new rules:

1. Any contest must have the word Challenge or Contest in the main title of the topic.

2. Get approval from Creams or an admin before being allowed to post a contest.

Just my two cents, which are conveniently on those old pennis that were made before the Lincoln Memorial was created so they're worth much more than just two cents.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

So, by that same reasoning, we should roll the Requests section back in to the Sports Logo Forum? After all, it's the same thing... logos & unis.

EDIT: Actually, that sparked an idea... I think I have a simple solution:

Why don't we just move the contests over to the Request board and change the name to reflect it including both? That way, there's an area set aside for people seeking out 'participation' (outside of simply posting), but we don't have an overload of sections. Requests and Contests each generate only a few active threads at a time, so they could probably co-exist in one section.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

"In times where many solutions are put forth by the masses, and no quorum reached, it is truely time to take the boldest action; not taking action."

- Georges Clemenceau

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

"In times where many solutions are put forth by the masses, and no quorum reached, it is truely time to take the boldest action; not taking action."

- Georges Clemenceau

Good quote, but Clemenceau is French and I must disregard it entirely. Instead, here's a line from American hero Homer Simpson:

"Well, you tried and failed. The lesson here is, don't try."

Pretty much the same thing as what Georgie said over there, but more easily accpeptable for my fellow just-teasing-they're-not-so-bad-a-country-France-haters.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I agree that things are getting a little out of hand but it should just be up to the members to decide what to participate in. I really don't have an opinion on how this should be handeled. For people to abuse the concept of a "contest" to solicit work is just plain wrong. Which leads me to my soapbox...

In fact there are a few requests on the request board that plain bother me. Just a warning to anyone interested in freelancing from the boards. Get a contract set up or some money upfront for the work and please do you homework on the people requesting work. Don't do work under the promise of reward.

I've been contacted by a few people recently looking to pay me to do some logo work. When I've asked questions or given estimates, I never hear from them again. If my rates are too high just politely tell me. It's the professional if not courteous thing to do. I run my freelance seriously. Don't try to get cheap or free work off of someone that might not know any better, especially if the intent is to sell the logo on merchandise for profit. So designers beware. I'll get off of my soapbox now. Just want to protect some of you who might get burned. the "contest" for free work thing just got me riled up. I hope that those posters aren't doing that.

I agree. YOU have to set up your mind that when you fulfill a request, you are either donating the work for whatever use they want, or you need a contract and get paid. There really isnt anything in the middle. Designer Be Ware

ΓΔΒ!

Archived