UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin

Shmee

I think we have a few MMA fans on the boards, so I thought I'd check in and see what everything is thinking about this weekend's big UFC 116 event featuring heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar returning from a serious illness to take on the interim champ, undefeated Shane Carwin. What are everyone's picks for the big card, especially the main event?

Before anyone cries foul, I'll be upfront that I am currently an intern with the company. But, I was a fan before getting the gig and am truly interested in seeing what everyone thinks. The world seems pretty evenly split on who's going to win. I'm looking forward to the show and just got word yesterday that I will be getting to work at the event, so I'm excited.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

That's a hell of an internship, Shmee.

Anyhow, I'm going with Corwin because I think Lesnar is massively rusty after being off for about a year due to illness. Corwin, being more seasonsed during that time where Lesnar was on the DL, is (from what I see) a deadly force. Corwin will win via spilt decision, if you ask me.

I think if Lesnar can take him into the 2nd round or beyond he has a chance...Carwin is a beast, but hes never hit anyone quite like Lesnar though.

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

I told ya Brock is a different sort of animal...and hes tapping guys out now, he could be even scarier as he goes along

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

I can't say I'll never doubt Barack, I mean Brock Lesnar again, but it'll be a long ass time before I do. I though Carwin was going to kill Barack...ooops, Brock in this one.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yeah we all knew that Brock was already a beast is physicality and brute force, but if he can start tapping guys out now, Look the :censored: out

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Carwin took Brocks lunch money that first round... I thought it was over 2 or 3 times in the first but Brock somehow held on... I was happy to hear there were 2 fights of the night, after Leben-Akiyamam I was wondering how they would pick between those 2 fights, but I gave an edge to Leben-Akiyama....

Probably one of the best top to bottom cards the UFC has had since 100... great night of fights

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Totally agree. Every fight was entertaining, and the Leben-Akiyama fight was one of the best back-and-forth slobberknockers I've seen in a long time.

Can't wait to see if Velasquez can give Lesnar another run for his money.

Oh man, I was pulling for Shane in this fight & as much as I hate to admit it, Brock really was the better fighter, either that or luck was on his side. Now Lesnar has 2 more challenges ahead, Cain is next in line & whomever wins between Dos Santos & Nelson will end up fighting the winner between Cain & Brock...

btw Shmee, that is a big deal in my book that your interning for the UFC. I know many that would kill for that opportunity.

baltimoreravens.png

I just saw the fight -- it seems like Brock's *really* lucky the ref didn't call the fight in the first round. Brock was in a bad way, and most fights I see don't allow one guy to just pound on the other guy like that for a while.

However, it's a good thing the fight wasn't called. Brock clearly had the better conditioning and it was obvious Carwin didn't have a chance once Round 2 got started.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I thought Brock looked so small.

His chest is easily not as large and so is his neck.

That said I think he still held his own just fine. I understand what most people are saying about Brock being lucky the fight wasn't called about mid-way first round but in my opinion, Carwin wasn't landing enough solid punches when he was mounted. It seemed like out of every 5 or so punches Brock would block 3 and take the others while trying to get some kind of leverage. It's really too bad Carwin doesn't have better cardio as I think that was about the only thing stopping this from going the distance and being really entertaining.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

What does it say about Carwin that one of the factors working against his chances was that his conditioning couldn't measure up to the conditioning of a man who was on his deathbed and dropped massive amounts of weight within the last year. Or is that more of a reflection of Lesnar being a man-beast?

Archived