Vincent Damphousse

IronChefShark

does Vinny deserve to get into the Hall of fame?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was looking over Vincent Damphousse's career stats. here are his career regular season numbers:

1378 games played

432 G, 773 A, 1205 P

+15 plus-minus

Vinny's career playoff stats up to this point:

128 games played

34 G, 60 A, 94 P

-5 plus-minus

won a Stanley Cup with Montreal in 93, and has a chance to win one with the Sharks this season

when compared to some other players on the NHL's all time scoring list, Vinny is right there and even ahead of such players a Dave Taylor, Mike Bossy and Denis Potvin. He even has more career assists then some guy named Bobby Orr, who I hear was a pretty good hockey player in his day.

so when Vinny decides to call it a career, will he and should he get consideration for enshrinement into the Hockey Hall of Fame? Of course, my skewed San Jose Sharks fan's opinon says yes, and from my standpoint at least he has the numbers and a championship. But what does everyone else think? Im thinking those who root for the Habs and Leafs might say yes, but how about all others?

I just thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss and debate on.

Not to put down Vinny--but he's not in the same class as the players you mentioned--stats or no stats.

He has more assists than Orr for 2 main reasons--played more seasons, and played when the seasons were longer as well--so actually 1 reason--more games played...

Orr is in the HOF for the way he changed the game, and for being a dominant player in his era. He could control the flow of the game like no one else I have ever seen--that's EVER seen--that includes Gretzky-(although if Orr was on the 80's Oilers, or if Gretzky had gone back in time to play with the Orr/Espo era Bruins--those teams would have been even better)--so that Vinny has more assists doesn't guarantee him a spot...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Vinny's been a good player for quite a long time, but I don't know that he's an automatic HHoF member. I think he might eventually make it, but he may have to wait longer, much like Bernie Federko did.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

He has had a good career, but other than the Cup in 93, and his four goal performance in the all-star game around that time, he hasn't really done anything of significance. and I think that will hurt his consideration. I liken him to Dino Cicerelli(sp) in that they are a quiet superstar, they have good careers, but never truely get noticed or have a standout season.

That said, I think he should be on the list of people considered when he retires. If the Sharks win the Cup this year, then I think he'll have a much better chance of getting in

Deserves to be in the HOF? ... maybe.

Will he get there?.... probably not.

The numbers support it, but he achieved them in total workhorse fashion - consistency over and extended period of time. Unfortunatelty, I think the short-term impact of a 'great' player outwieghs the long-term impact of a 'good' player.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

No doubt that if I was an NHL GM I'd love to have Vinnie Damphousse on my team. He's an excellent player who has proved himself to be both reliable and accountable to his teammates as well as a leader on and off the ice. But the thing is, even though he's always been good, I don't know if Damphousse has ever been a superb NHL player. I think the real measure of his talent will be maybe ten years from now and see if people are still mentioning his name during telecasts. If so, then put him in the hall. If not, then I wouldn't be outraged.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Hes close but he would have to do alittle more maybe reach 500 goals to get over the hump.

That's exactly what I thought. If he made 500 goals, that would probably make it automatic. Averaging a generous 20 goals a year, he'd need to play at least 4 more years to do that, which isn't totally out of the question.

If he were to stop playing tomorrow, I'd have to say probably not.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I agree. He's likely to get in about 5 years after retirement. A Cup in SJ will help too. 500 goals might be likely to get him in as "almost a lock". To my knowledge, Vinny could be the first Shark in the HHoF.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

To my knowledge, Vinny could be the first Shark in the HHoF.

According to the Sports E-Cyclopedia, which has actually turned out to be a better resource in the past few days than I originally thought it'd be (well done Tank!), the Sharks in fact do not have any former players enshrined on a buff/plaque in Toronto.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Archived