LA Angels in Blue?

themightyspitz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. I'm guessing you're pretty young, because they wore these (or at least close enough) as recently as 1996.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, they played the Mariners with 90s sets. The Mariners wore a lot of aqua, if I remember.

Thanks, just found it from a few days ago. Man, I go out of the country for 1 week and I miss this?! Wish they sold these jerseys and hats in the store.

galaxy.png

I gotta admit, I really love that set for the Angels. It honestly looks really good, and I wouldn't mind at all if they looked like this full time.

I was in Anaheim and Los Angeles last month for my senior trip, and they were selling those hats everywhere. The lids store in Hollywood was stocked full of them, and I almost bought one. Now I'm really kicking myself for not doing so.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I gotta admit, I really love that set for the Angels. It honestly looks really good, and I wouldn't mind at all if they looked like this full time.

I would. Those uniforms are drab and boring as all hell. They're not ugly, but they're so nondescript. Navy blue is so played out. Plus, wearing almost all dark blue doesn't fit a team that plays in bright, sunny Anaheim. You'd want bright colors in the uniform.

The current set is easily the best uniforms the team has ever had. They look great, they tie in nicely with what they've worn for most of their history, they've won a World Series in them, and they've established an identity for themselves as "The Red Team" both in Los Angeles and the American League. Aside from minor tweaks (a better sleeve patch?), I hope they never change.

I would. Those uniforms are drab and boring as all hell. They're not ugly, but they're so nondescript. Navy blue is so played out. Plus, wearing almost all dark blue doesn't fit a team that plays in bright, sunny Anaheim. You'd want bright colors in the uniform.

The current set is easily the best uniforms the team has ever had. They look great, they tie in nicely with what they've worn for most of their history, they've won a World Series in them, and they've established an identity for themselves as "The Red Team" both in Los Angeles and the American League. Aside from minor tweaks (a better sleeve patch?), I hope they never change.

If you don't like that mid-90s uniform set, then why is your sig the logo that went with it?

If you don't like that mid-90s uniform set, then why is your sig the logo that went with it?

Good question. That's the logo/uniform they were wearing when I went to my first major league game, and I've been an Angels fan ever since. I still have the home version of the 'CA' hat that I got at that game. So that logo does mean something to me, even if I don't think that's what they should be wearing.

I can tell you the Angels store has plenty of the jerseys. All authentics though.

And damn, they didn't have any hats at Angel Stadium. I was really hoping they would.

Those jeresys are still for sale today in 2010? Because I would really like one...

I agree with everything you said. When a city has two franchises, they shouldn't look alike. The Dodgers in blue and the Angels in red. Simple and effective. Just like New York has the Yankees in pinstripes and the Mets in orange and blue. You'd never mistake the Yankees for the Mets, and you'd never mistake the Angels for the Dodgers.

I agree with everything you said. When a city has two franchises, they shouldn't look alike. The Dodgers in blue and the Angels in red. Simple and effective. Just like New York has the Yankees in pinstripes and the Mets in orange and blue. You'd never mistake the Yankees for the Mets, and you'd never mistake the Angels for the Dodgers.

I get what you guys are saying, but for one, the blues are completely different shades, this set didn't use a slanted cursive wordmark nor red front numbers, and the cap logo is a red "CA" with a halo on the "A". Do you really think people would mistake that for the Dodgers? There's no way in the world I look at that uniform and think "oh, that's too similar to the Dodgers". Especially where the home uniform of that particular set is mostly red, save the blue shell of the cap. If anything, the closest team that comes to mind looking at these uniforms are the Rangers, and even that set has alot of differences between them. I think this is distinguisahble enough, honestly, but that's just my opinion.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I get what you guys are saying, but for one, the blues are completely different shades, this set didn't use a slanted cursive wordmark nor red front numbers, and the cap logo is a red "CA" with a halo on the "A". Do you really think people would mistake that for the Dodgers? There's no way in the world I look at that uniform and think "oh, that's too similar to the Dodgers". Especially where the home uniform of that particular set is mostly red, save the blue shell of the cap. If anything, the closest team that comes to mind looking at these uniforms are the Rangers, and even that set has alot of differences between them. I think this is distinguisahble enough, honestly, but that's just my opinion.

The Dodgers have iconic blue uniforms. Their look is amazing. The current Angels look is basically the opposite of that: the Dodgers have blue with a little red, and now the Angels have red with a little blue. So it doesn't just make them look different from each other, they even have a ying and yang thing going on now. It's great if you're a SoCal baseball fan.

Also, and this is more important to me, the Angels have a distinct look now. Those mid 90's uniforms are so bland that they look like a bunch of different teams that already have better versions of that basic look. The navy cap with a red brim is a lot like Cleveland, St. Louis, and Atlanta. The solid navy cap has been done as well with Boston, Seattle, and Minnesota. Then you have midnight blue with the Yankees, and teams with newer dark blue hats like Tampa and San Diego. The Angels are "the red team" in the AL. The fans have embraced the color and it suits the area perfectly.

I also think it's cool that they aren't a huge break from the uniforms they wore for most of their history. Except for the weird Disney years, the Angels had blue hats with a red brim/button and a red A logo with a halo over it. "Angels" was written in red across the chest. They updated the fonts and logo but the only significant change is that the hat is now solid red. So while the current look is a huge improvement from what they had for their first 40 years, it also ties in to their tradition nicely.

The Dodgers have iconic blue uniforms. Their look is amazing. The current Angels look is basically the opposite of that: the Dodgers have blue with a little red, and now the Angels have red with a little blue. So it doesn't just make them look different from each other, they even have a ying and yang thing going on now. It's great if you're a SoCal baseball fan.

Also, and this is more important to me, the Angels have a distinct look now. Those mid 90's uniforms are so bland that they look like a bunch of different teams that already have better versions of that basic look. The navy cap with a red brim is a lot like Cleveland, St. Louis, and Atlanta. The solid navy cap has been done as well with Boston, Seattle, and Minnesota. Then you have midnight blue with the Yankees, and teams with newer dark blue hats like Tampa and San Diego. The Angels are "the red team" in the AL. The fans have embraced the color and it suits the area perfectly.

I also think it's cool that they aren't a huge break from the uniforms they wore for most of their history. Except for the weird Disney years, the Angels had blue hats with a red brim/button and a red A logo with a halo over it. "Angels" was written in red across the chest. They updated the fonts and logo but the only significant change is that the hat is now solid red. So while the current look is a huge improvement from what they had for their first 40 years, it also ties in to their tradition nicely.

That statement makes this Dodger fan smile :D

Haha, I do see what youre saying. I'm not from that area or California for that matter, so I don't know what the locals down there think. but there are many Angels fans here due to two of Utah's teams (Salt Lake and Orem) affiliations with the Angels, and they all seem to love the red. It's worn by just about all of the Angel fans here (though I do see the occasional Disney years hats) I personally was a huge fan of the Disney era look, as I thought it was a great identity for the Angels and had a unique color combo (periwinkle even in the late 90's was never used), but I understand that red is really admired amongst the Angel faithful.

My point wasnt that the red looked bad, it was just that if the Angels did indeed wear the 90's uniforms as thier set now, that to me at least, theyre distinguisable enough from the Dodgers.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

That mid 90's set was classic and paid homage to the original California Angels. It was beautiful with the red numbers, letters and red brimmed cap at home and the navy blue on the road. The current set, pays homage to the Texas Rangers as it's just a rip-off of the Rangers from the mid 90's. The only thing unique about the current Angels' set is the numbers which now the Rangers have stolen from them! The current set fails with the cap that has a freakin' red "A" on a red cap and now with the red jerseys with red numbers and letters that are outlined in thin blue, silver, and white. And to say that the Angels and the Dodgers looked the same, obviously you've never looked at any of the uniforms of the two teams. No one would ever say the Angels and Dodgers looked the same at any time. Oooh so they both used blue. I went to Angel-Dodger games before interleague play and I never heard anyone say, "Oh, I can't tell these two teams apart, they look to similar!"

I too like the current Angels colors as well. I've gotten quite use to them and always associate the Angels with Red and a little yellow (for the halo.

My only problem is this: Why are the "Angels" wearing uniforms with the primary color of the Devil? Doesn't make sense.

Well, with all due respect, for a long time the Mets and Yankees have both worn pinstripes, and still do, and their blue/navy blue is about as distinguishable as the California Angels vs. Dodgers blue was....if anything your NY example seem to support having similar looks for crosstown rivals.

But aside from the New York thing, I do support blatantly different looks/colors for crosstown rivals.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I too like the current Angels colors as well. I've gotten quite use to them and always associate the Angels with Red and a little yellow (for the halo.

My only problem is this: Why are the "Angels" wearing uniforms with the primary color of the Devil? Doesn't make sense.

The Devil just got in touch with his lawyers and is going to bring a class-action lawsuit against those on this board that have made the improper allegations that he is associated with red. The Devil was quoted as saying, "It's just not true. I love all colors, red, blue, black, green, white. I'm an equal opportunity Devil!"

I can tell you the Angels store has plenty of the jerseys. All authentics though.

And damn, they didn't have any hats at Angel Stadium. I was really hoping they would.

Those jeresys are still for sale today in 2010? Because I would really like one...

Yeah they had a bunch of authentics (2010 player sthough) at the Angels Team Shop when I was in Anaheim. T-Shirts too. (The gray jerseys FWIW.)

6fQjS3M.png

That mid 90's set was classic and paid homage to the original California Angels. It was beautiful with the red numbers, letters and red brimmed cap at home and the navy blue on the road. The current set, pays homage to the Texas Rangers as it's just a rip-off of the Rangers from the mid 90's.

So they "ripped off" a look that another team briefly had and then abandoned years before? That's a little silly. In the history of baseball, almost everything has been tried at least once with uniforms. Plus, they basically took the uniforms they wore in the 1980's and changed the crown of the hat to red; it's not like they completely changed everything to look like someone else.

It's the best look they've ever had. The fans embraced it immediately. Even with the terrible start in 2002, by May of that year everyone in the stadium was wearing red. Plus now it's associated with a team that makes the playoffs consistently and has won a World Series.

The current set fails with the cap that has a freakin' red "A" on a red cap and now with the red jerseys with red numbers and letters that are outlined in thin blue, silver, and white.

Welcome to the world of HD TV. A red "A" on a red cap looks just fine to me.

Archived