2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I hope this is the last half of the Rich Rod era. I don't care how much we lose by, I just want to be done.

So Harbaugh can come by and deliver a couple of more sub .500 seasons while he rebuilds the defense AND completely retools the offense back to the power run. And then you fire him because you remember he's also an uncouth dirtbag. Brilliant! You entitled idiots are seriously like 6 or 7 years behind Notre Dame in the "We're special, why is this happening?" death spiral of despair.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this is the last half of the Rich Rod era. I don't care how much we lose by, I just want to be done.

I just hope they come to their senses and go after a Michigan man like Miles or Harbaugh. Good riddance Rich Fraud

They are playing so many Freshman, after three years I am convinced that Lloyd Carr was all-in for the 2006 season, did not work on what would be needed post-Hart/Henne and mailed it in recruiting wise. The loss to App. State was the first sign of lack of depth.

I would take Miles over Harbaugh just for the fact that if the NFL calls Harbaugh, he will leave. He may even get that call this season.

Michigan just keeps shooting themselves in the foot it seems. First, a failed fourth down conversion in OSU territory, then Robinson fumbles in the red zone. Michigan should have a lead or at least be tied about now.

I'tll be an interesting couple weeks here, personally I want Wisconsin to go to the Rose Bowl. That's a fun team to watch with that rushing attack (THREE backs with 500+ rushing yards!), and I think they, as well as Stanford, are one of the most underrated teams in the country. A Rose Bowl match-up of Wisconsin-TCU or even Wisconsin-Stanford (can that still happen?) would make for one heck of a game.

Wisconsin v. Stanford in the Rose Bowl cannot occur if TCU wins today.

Stanford BCS chances (if they win today)

For Stanford fans, it?s important to note the selection order. Once the BCS bowls replace teams that jumped into the national title game, the order of selection becomes: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta.

If the Rose is forced to take TCU, then you figure the Sugar would take one of the one-loss Big Ten teams.

That would leave the Orange with the option to take Stanford (if the Cardinal is 11-1), or maybe Oklahoma State (as the Big 12 runner up but ranked in the top 14) or even the Big East champ (at 7-5 or 6-6).

And if the Orange opted against Stanford and took the Big East champ, the Fiesta would come into play for the Cardinal (against the Big 12 champion).

The Fiesta has figured all along that, with the last pick, it would end up with the unwanted Big East champ.

But if the Orange takes the Big East champ because it fears poor ticket sales with Stanford ? geography plays a big role in the selection process ? then the Fiesta could get a shot at the one-loss Cardinal ?

Harbaugh/Luck instead of UConn? The Fiesta stands to be a big winner from Boise State?s loss.

Money well spent! Rodriguez's salary, plus his West Virginia buyout, totaled $14 million. That's almost a cool million per win during his tenure at Ann Arbor. (15 wins over three seasons)

Michigan would've gotten more 'bang for their buck' had they invensted in Can Newton. :D

6uXNWAo.png

Money well spent! Rodriguez's salary, plus his West Virginia buyout, totaled $14 million. That's almost a cool million per win during his tenure at Ann Arbor. (15 wins over three seasons)

Michigan would've gotten more 'bang for their buck' had they invensted in Can Newton. :D

I figure it like this. The last 3 years never happened :P

And you'll say the same thing after Harbaugh too. You won't say that after Miles, but that's because all of your heads will have collectively exploded watching him attempt the football equivalent of dividing by zero every game. He's poised to be 11-1 with a trip to the Sugar Bowl, and by and large LSU fans want his ass gone. What does that tell you?

Actually, Miles to Michigan would make mgoblog good comedy if nothing else. Between Brian Cook having to defend Michigan's new grayshirting practices and being unable to explain Miles with numbers, that might supplant edsbs for college football comedy gold.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And you'll say the same thing after Harbaugh too. You won't say that after Miles, but that's because all of your heads will have collectively exploded watching him attempt the football equivalent of dividing by zero every game. He's poised to be 11-1 with a trip to the Sugar Bowl, and by and large LSU fans want his ass gone. What does that tell you?

Actually, Miles to Michigan would make mgoblog good comedy if nothing else. Between Brian Cook having to defend Michigan's new grayshirting practices and being unable to explain Miles with numbers, that might supplant edsbs for college football comedy gold.

Who knows what may happen in the next couple years. But I can at least tell you now that the collective of Michigan fans want Rodriguez gone. I can at least see Harbaugh or Miles working with the team in a productive way. There is talent. But if they can bring in a guy that can work the defense. They can win 6 or 7 games and at least 4 wins in the conference and build on it. I just can't see both losing to Michigan State or Ohio State 3 straight years. I have never been on the bandwagon for Rodriguez in the first place and always wanted a Michigan guy. I think we can all agree, this is the end of the Rodriguez era.

It could be much worse. See Miami Hurricanes.

Schnellenberger 5 seasons/16 losses

Johnson 5 seasons/9 losses

Erickson 6 seasons/9 losses

Davis 6 seasons/20 losses (under probation for )

Coker 6 seasons/15 losses

Shannon 3+ seasons/17 losses

Randy Shannon is considered "safe" by the president as he graduates players, they don't get arrested, and they win 7 games a year now. They have not sniffed the ACC title game and kept many Miami-Dade players in the last three seasons. Their recruits don't improve at all so much so that most damaging is what a Packers coach said of rookie CB Sam Shields:

Much of the credit for that goes to Whitt, who was at his wits' end when he found that Shields had no idea how to watch film, learn defenses or prepare for games at the cornerback position. So Whitt began at, well, the beginning.

"He had no clue. Trust me, no clue," Whitt said bluntly. "There was one day, I almost lost my mind."

To teach Shields, Whitt went back to an approach he used as an assistant at Louisville, where he helped turn two former offensive players — Arizona Cardinals safety Kerry Rhodes and Philadelphia Eagles safety Antoine Harris — into NFL-caliber defensive players.

"Basically, I got flash cards. I drew a formation on one side, I drew the check on the back side, just like you do in school," Whitt explained. "The next day, I come in, he has a stack of flash cards, two inches deep, and he has everything on it. And from that day on, it was a total transformation because he understood the defense from that day on because he understood how to study."

BTW, who gets the most unnecessary TV time for a fan: Big Nut, Fireman Ed, or those two guys in Penn St. uniforms with rubbermasks?

Who knows what may happen in the next couple years. But I can at least tell you now that the collective of Michigan fans want Rodriguez gone. I can at least see Harbaugh or Miles working with the team in a productive way. There is talent. But if they can bring in a guy that can work the defense. They can win 6 or 7 games and at least 4 wins in the conference and build on it. I just can't see both losing to Michigan State or Ohio State 3 straight years. I have never been on the bandwagon for Rodriguez in the first place and always wanted a Michigan guy. I think we can all agree, this is the end of the Rodriguez era.

But Harbaugh runs a completely different offense than Rodriguez. You aren't keeping Denard Robinson in that situation. You aren't keeping Forcier either. You will be starting from scratch all over again, because you have such a warped, insular (dinosauric?) culture that you cannot even imagine how football works in the 21st Century.

Tell you what, if Indiana were to sack Lynch, and you were to sack Rodriguez, I want Indiana to be the first school to call him. We've learned from firing Mallory, and if Rodriguez can succeed at West Virginia, he can succeed at Indiana.

--------------------------

Also, woot, we actually get hardware for an Indiana football season. And can be super special bowl eligible if the NCAA's "oh :censored: not enough teams have 6 wins" scenario comes about.

Today, we are all otaku.

Exactly, rams80. +1 and this is from a Michigan alumni. He still needs to stay.

Too much change too soon and you cannot expect magic with the old coach's talent. The culture is very incestuous and it is to the detriment of not only Michigan, but also what has occurred at Notre Dame. Plus, you do not want to be the "new LSU" in which you fire coaches after four season due to expectations which aren't Conference title or bust.

Not that anyone cares on a national scale, but South Florida just managed to pull a mild upset over the Hurricanes in, well, south Florida. Not only that, but they also just put their stamp on (the state of) Florida college football. Several years ago, this was a program on the rise, and (I believe it was) back in '07, they started showing just how far they'd come, when they managed to capture lightning in a bottle and get some big wins, first against West Virginia, then against Auburn on the road (their previous "statement" win), all while getting up to as high as #2 in the nation before their world came crashing back down after losing three straight. (Take notes, Boise.) But really, this win was bigger for the program itself, since this now effectively means USF might well be able to extend their recruiting footprint deep off into the bottom and maybe, just maybe, out of the southeast US. Well done, Skip. Safe to say, USF has effectively arrived on the Florida college football landscape. (Not bad for a program that's only been playing football since 1997.)

Now to sit back and take in the main event in (the state of) Florida College Football Saturday...Gators vs my Seminoles at the Doak. (Or take in about as much as I can off ESPNNews since ABC is carrying the Wisconsin game here in the corn. :cursing: ) This time, FSU is the favorite. (In another weird concidence, I can't remember the last time these two teams faced each other while FSU was ranked and UF wasn't.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Buc, you may want to try ustream or justin.tv to see they have that game on a stream.

Well, Cal plays their final game at Memorial Stadium today against UW. Not a sell out by any means. I have been to three games there since 2001. Even more of a dump than the Orange Bowl was for 'canes games.

Even though Boise State lost, I still hope Michigan kicks the ever loving :censored: out of Ohio State.

GO BIG BLUE! Fingers crossed that Michigan gets a big upset victory today.

Dear Tank and Lights Out:

Ohio State 37

Michigan 7

:censored: both of you. :P

Signed,

Buckeye Nation :D

Michigan_Ohio_State_Football.sff_54095_game.jpg

(God are those uniforms awful.)

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Not that anyone cares on a national scale, but South Florida just managed to pull a mild upset over the Hurricanes in, well, south Florida. Not only that, but they also just put their stamp on (the state of) Florida college football. Several years ago, this was a program on the rise, and (I believe it was) back in '07, they started showing just how far they'd come, when they managed to capture lightning in a bottle and get some big wins, first against West Virginia, then against Auburn on the road (their previous "statement" win), all while getting up to as high as #2 in the nation before their world came crashing back down after losing three straight. (Take notes, Boise.) But really, this win was bigger for the program itself, since this now effectively means USF might well be able to extend their recruiting footprint deep off into the bottom and maybe, just maybe, out of the southeast US. Well done, Skip. Safe to say, USF has effectively arrived on the Florida college football landscape. (Not bad for a program that's only been playing football since 1997.)

Now to sit back and take in the main event in (the state of) Florida College Football Saturday...Gators vs my Seminoles at the Doak. (Or take in about as much as I can off ESPNNews since ABC is carrying the Wisconsin game here in the corn. :cursing: ) This time, FSU is the favorite. (In another weird concidence, I can't remember the last time these two teams faced each other while FSU was ranked and UF wasn't.)

The game's on ESPN here, at least on the northside of Indy...

6fQjS3M.png

Buc, you may want to try ustream or justin.tv to see they have that game on a stream.

Well, Cal plays their final game at Memorial Stadium today against UW. Not a sell out by any means. I have been to three games there since 2001. Even more of a dump than the Orange Bowl was for 'canes games.

Neither of those work for the slow-ass internet service I have here. Sad part is, neither does espn3.com for some stupid reason. So usually I just piece together what I can between ESPNNews and ESPN GameCast (this works well for college football; lil more difficult for the NFL).

No matter, though...I just went to see if I could have my signal switched to another satellite...and then I got my game on ESPN just in time to see that last FSU touchdown. :boogie: (Wonder why I never thought to ask to have my signal switched before until just now.)

EDIT: that was a pretty pass right there!!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I think they're remodling Memorial Stadium so Cal has to play their home games next year at AT&T Park. Either way, Let's go U-Dub! Beat those Bears and then beat Waz-Spew to get that bowl bid!

I think they're remodling Memorial Stadium so Cal has to play their home games next year at AT&T Park. Either way, Let's go U-Dub! Beat those Bears and then beat Waz-Spew to get that bowl bid!

Yes, in "old" memorial stadium. It is on a major fault line (the Hayward Fault) and in the men's room you can still see the field because of cracks in the walls.

One half down, one to go.

And I must say I am HIGHLY impressed with my Seminoles...they are straight-up puttin' in work down there at the Doak. This is taking me back to the '90s--Ty Jones looking like Dee Feaster out there (even wearing his number, no less), defensive line holding up, linebackers bringing it like Peter Boulware and Reinard Wilson used to, defense wrapping up and actually tackling, laying wood on folks (anone else catch that pop by Moody midway through the second quarter?)...y'all know I'm jacked up right now.

BUT...there is still another half to play. And I think right before the half Urban Meyer might have seen a little overpursuit on the part of FSU's defense when he inserted Tim Tebow 2.0 into the game for a series. It'll be interesting to see if the Gators come back out in that set. Meanwhile, FSU betta not even think of sitting back on their heels. Still thirty game minutes to go. This is the archrivalry...the brawl for it all. (And the [state of] Florida 'ship.)

C'mon Seminoles...let's get this.

Archived