Too Many Vests!

Chazberg

I was at my local sports bar watching baseball today, and every game that was on featured a team wearing a vest (Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh). Seeing thius made me realize that there are waaay too many teams wearing vests today, and the trend doesn't seem to have an end in site, with more teams like the Rangers (ugh) joining the mix. Here's a list of all the teams I'm aware of that have one:

Angels

Devil Rays

Diamondbacks

Indians

Pirates

Rangers

Reds

Royals

White Sox

That's a third of the league! It's out of control. I think everybody except Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and maybe Tampa Bay and the Sox should ditch theirs, because they either look terrible (Indians, Rangers, Roayls) or are just needless (Angels, D-Backs). I really hope this doesn't keep growing and become something every team eventually adopts, like the team color alternate jersey. And a quick question, when did Baltimore change the home jersey script to orange?

I agree. I think the vest-look should eb a unique look for one or two teams,a nd be left at that.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I for one love the vest look. Anything to break up the gray-white monotony of baseball. I got my Junior-era M's jersey that's a vest.

I wouldn't mind if all the teams wore a vest jersey. Really, I wouldn't.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

i wish the Cubs would roll out a sleeveless jersey...they were, after all, the first team to wear the style. maybe have the three stripes on each sleeve like them olden days ^_^

but this thread has sort of pointed to me the main reason i think the Rangers' sleeveless jersey sucks. other than that, i don't know why i'm thinking like that but i am. :therock:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Players have been known to prefer the vest style because it allows for greater freedom of movement in the shoulder area, which can affect throwing a ball and swinging a bat, two things that I believe people do when they're wearing a baseball uniform.

However, if the vest thing is really that bothersome to you, you can always have really tiny sleeves, which would also be a throwback.

57topps-070.jpgjrob.jpg

Then again, this looks like the style of the "women's cut" jerseys that teams seem to be offering to their female fans these days.

p829371dt.jpg

Also, any team who has a vest jersey that's just the same jersey they normally sport, but with the sleeves cut off ... that's silly. Pick the vest or the sleeves and get on with it.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Slightly Off Topic - Anyone remember when - I think it was Deion Sanders - wanted to wear his vest without sleeves and the Reds had to move the Jackie Robinson patches to the chest to accomodate him?

I think this is related to your inquiry ... but in 1994 when it was baseball's 125th anniversary, all the MLB teams at the time wore 125th Anniversary patches on one of their sleeves, except for the Reds at home, who wore the patch above the C on their home vests. They may also have been the only team with vests in 1994, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Cinicinnati also was known to put the manufacturer's logo above the player name on the back, before that space became the exclusive domain of the MLB batter logo.

cardsforsale47-img324x229-1066832455sandersposter.jpg

I apologize for the small image. It does prove the point. Also, check out the football side of it, where the Falcons had an anniversary patch on 1 shoulder, and the TV number on the other. I don't believe this has been done since.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I think UW got two stories mixed up. During the Jackie Robinson 50th anniversary, Deion wanted to sport very short cut sleeves as a tribute to Jackie...MLB said normal length, or the whole team has to go short. I think they all went short.

What's with the MLB and NFL not letting players pay tribute to greats cuz it minorly violates uniform code?

I don't know... that whole black shoes-white shoes thing with Payton was bizzarre, stupid, and inidcative of how the NFL cares.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think UW got two stories mixed up. During the Jackie Robinson 50th anniversary, Deion wanted to sport very short cut sleeves as a tribute to Jackie...MLB said normal length, or the whole team has to go short. I think they all went short.

What's with the MLB and NFL not letting players pay tribute to greats cuz it minorly violates uniform code?

Ahh...thanks for clearing that up.

I agree the sleeveless jersey is out of hand and looks great on a few select teams.

I know we all hate it. However, before you know it there will be a team that will go back to the pullover style shirts and other clubs will follow. It would be a sad, sad day if and when it happens.

Vandy, IIRC the Marlins had a sleeveless jersey in 94 as well. They were the only two for a while (and no, the Angels' faux vest from 97-2001 doesn't count).

The saving grace for the Indians' sleeveless is that it's not just a sleeveless version of the homes, they actually bothered to do something different with it. sadly, in my eyes not even that fact saves the Rangers' vest. I figure the Cubs could do something similar one day, maybe bring the "Cuba" script back for that... :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

yes that was when the marlins also wore teal shirts underneath with teal pintstripes and hats to match. I like the teal hats I wish they would bring those back.

By the way I would actually like a team to use a pullover for there alternate. I am probably in the minority here, but I like baseball pullover and I wish the Reds still used theres.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Teal = :puke:

ΓΔΒ!

Archived