If the Bills moved to Toronto

Tygers09

If they move to Toronto, they should keep 'Buffalo' as their city name, and just rename the team itself 'Sucks'.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I think this should be in the requests forum.

Ok, I'll legitimize this request so we can keep it in the Concept forum. I Googled Toronto to learn more about the city and discovered that they have their own city flag, which oddly enough is almost identical shades to the Bills' color scheme. This is a quick modification that I made in paint, but I think it's a pretty solid concept actually. Maintains the Bills' identity while also conveying their new home in Toronto.

Feel free to comment. Toronto Flag posted for reference.

bills.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

^Th-That's not half bad... :blink:

I actually agree... The 'T' is symmetrical, so it can go on either side of the helmet, it fits the city very well, and keeps the current identity.

The only issue would still be the team name, seeing as the logo is based on the city and not the actual team name.

The Toronto 'Buffalo Bills'? As in actually having the Buffalo in the team name describe the actual person Buffalo Bill, instead of the city?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

They should have a contest and let the fans vote. Either Toronto Bills or Toronto Buffaloes.

Announcers would still call them both names, though. It's like when the STL Cardinals get called "redbirds" by sportscallers.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

They should have a contest and let the fans vote. Either Toronto Bills or Toronto Buffaloes.

Announcers would still call them both names, though. It's like when the STL Cardinals get called "redbirds" by sportscallers.

Yeah, but when announcers call the Cardinals the "Redbirds" or even "Cards", they're still referring to a bird, more specifically, a Cardinal. I don't know what connection "Bill" has with "Buffaloe" other than the fact that they were formerly known as the "Bills".

Toronto Buffalo doesn't sound half bad. the logo ain't too shabby either, though I can't decide which version I like best. The fans could also continue the chant that the city of Buffalo uses for everything: "Let's Go Buff-a-lo!"

Personally, I'd like to see something different, like the St. Pats, but the Bills' jerseys are already hockey-esque in their design (it's even been said that the blue shoulders going back to include the nameplate was based on the popular Sabres' jerseys of the time) and thus would work very well in Hockey's Capital City.

Anybody else have any ideas? I think I'm gonna work on a concept myself

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I'm still not sure if they would move to Toronto. First of all, Buffalo averages about 94.8% attendance for home games. That's an average of 70,128 people coming to each game. Knowing that, I'm sure a fair amount of current Bills fans would make the 2 hour journey up to Toronto, there would be plenty of Argos fans that would want to see the games, and the Rogers Centre only holds 54,000 people for American football. I just don't see it.

applogosig15.pngapplogosig13.pngapplogosig14.png

The first non-banned member of ther CCSLC to post in The Ugliest Bathroom.

Toronto Buffalo doesn't sound half bad. the logo ain't too shabby either, though I can't decide which version I like best. The fans could also continue the chant that the city of Buffalo uses for everything: "Let's Go Buff-a-lo!"

Personally, I'd like to see something different, like the St. Pats, but the Bills' jerseys are already hockey-esque in their design (it's even been said that the blue shoulders going back to include the nameplate was based on the popular Sabres' jerseys of the time) and thus would work very well in Hockey's Capital City.

Anybody else have any ideas? I think I'm gonna work on a concept myself

I don't have any ideas really, but I say go for it, I'd be happy to see some ideas. There's never a bad time to post a concept. ;)

Personally, I'd like to see something different, like the St. Pats

Too close to Patriots, I think.

oh...yeah. shoulda thought of that. moving on, I read in a thread somewhere on here that Argonauts is beloved by the Toronto populace, and because the NFL would likely spell the end of the CFL franchise, the name would need to move to the NFL. Any truth to that?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Well, there's what, 8 teams in the CFL? I realize the Canadian game is quite a bit different (3 downs, 110 yard field, etc) but IF the NFL and CFL ever merged, those 8 teams would fit nicely into the existing 4 AFC and 4 NFC divisions.

UyDgMWP.jpg

I'm still not sure if they would move to Toronto. First of all, Buffalo averages about 94.8% attendance for home games. That's an average of 70,128 people coming to each game. Knowing that, I'm sure a fair amount of current Bills fans would make the 2 hour journey up to Toronto, there would be plenty of Argos fans that would want to see the games, and the Rogers Centre only holds 54,000 people for American football. I just don't see it.

I live in the Rochester area. There are many, many Bills season-ticket holders that live along the New York State Thruway corridor that connects Buffalo with Batavia, Rochester, Syracuse and all points there in. Around 14+% of Bills fans are from the Rochester-Syracuse areas alone. These fans are only anywhere from an hour to two-and-a-half hours away from "The Ralph" (Wilson Stadium). When you add in the extra travel time to T.O.(the city, not the receiver) and the increased border security (you need a passport or a special NYS drivers' license to cross), I'm not sure if people from this area would be willing to go through the extra hassle. And don't forget the ever-looming "seat licensing fee" and price increases that surely would be added to help make up any revenue shortfalls the team may incur because of the limited seating capacity of the SkyDome (yeah, I know it's the Rogers Centre but it's bad luck to change the name of a place once it has been established It's still the SkyDome).

An NFL team really shouldn't average less than 100% attendance for home games, unless said team is so horrible that it's simply not worth it even to go with your friends and make a day out of it. That being said, in-stadium attendance really isn't where they make their money. It's club and suite sales, naming rights, corporate support, advertising revenue, local TV / radio contracts, etc. A market with the size and economic limitations of Buffalo is probably not one long for today's NFL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived