Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but that doesn't change the fact that he's cleared some pretty major hurdles. At this point, we're just talking about details. And Roski is far enough along that he could park his team in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl for a couple seasons while they finish the Industry stadium.

Not from what I've been hearing. Roski supposedly is having some cash flow problems on his project.

Source?

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_16313212

Okay, I'm not seeing your assertion in the article. It says that:

Short of acquiring a team, funding appears to be Roski's only hurdle. He says his stadium will cost $800 million, less than half the going-price for state-of-the-art NFL stadiums.

He already has secured the land, as well as an environmental exemption from the state of California. And he has been showcasing his plan to the public for two and a half years.

Some estimates have put the cost of a downtown stadium as high as $3 billion, and that's before the price of a team is factored in. And virtually every NFL team is now valued at $1 billion or more.

With a price tag that high, Leiweke and Wasserman may have to turn to public financing, which has historically proven to be a hard sell in Los Angeles - even when economic times were good.

It doesn't say anything about Roski having cash flow problems.

Doesn't even say that Roski can't get the funding, or that he's having a hard time coming up with the funding. On the contrary, the author appears to be arguing that the downtown stadium plan will have an even harder time getting their money together.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that he's cleared some pretty major hurdles. At this point, we're just talking about details. And Roski is far enough along that he could park his team in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl for a couple seasons while they finish the Industry stadium.

Not from what I've been hearing. Roski supposedly is having some cash flow problems on his project.

Source?

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_16313212

Short of acquiring a team, funding appears to be Roski's only hurdle. He says his stadium will cost $800 million, less than half the going-price for state-of-the-art NFL stadiums.

He already has secured the land, as well as an environmental exemption from the state of California. And he has been showcasing his plan to the public for two and a half years.

Some estimates have put the cost of a downtown stadium as high as $3 billion, and that's before the price of a team is factored in. And virtually every NFL team is now valued at $1 billion or more.

With a price tag that high, Leiweke and Wasserman may have to turn to public financing, which has historically proven to be a hard sell in Los Angeles - even when economic times were good.

It doesn't say anything about Roski having cash flow problems.

Doesn't even say that Roski can't get the funding, or that he's having a hard time coming up with the funding. On the contrary, the author appears to be arguing that the downtown stadium plan will have an even harder time getting their money together.

Which has since proven untrue of the downtown plan. They have between $700 million and $900 million secured from the Farmer's deal alone. Roski on the other hand they state that funding is a hurdle (in other words he doesn't have the cash. I've heard the same thing asserted on the radio recently as well when comparing the plans).

Which has since proven untrue of the downtown plan. They have between $700 million and $900 million secured from the Farmer's deal alone. Roski on the other hand they state that funding is a hurdle (in other words he doesn't have the cash. I've heard the same thing asserted on the radio recently as well when comparing the plans).

I'm sorry, but nothing in the article bears out your assertions.

"Funding is a hurdle" does not mean he doesn't have the cash. Or that he can't get the cash. Quite the contary, in fact - the Farmers deal has established a market for naming rights. If Roski can secure a team first, guaranteeing that his stadium will be built, there is a likelihood that he could now get almost 100% of his projected construction costs from a naming deal.

On the other hand, the downtown plan has $700M from the Farmers Field naming rights. Which is a lot of money, but that still leaves $2.3 billion in construction costs unaccounted for.

Look, I vastly prefer the possibility of a downtown stadium to one in Industry. But facts are facts, and no amount of my preferring the other plan can diminish what Roski has accomplished so far, nor weaken his position.

I'm sorry, but nothing in the article bears out your assertions.

"Funding is a hurdle" does not mean he doesn't have the cash. Or that he can't get the cash. Quite the contary, in fact - the Farmers deal has established a market for naming rights. If Roski can secure a team first, guaranteeing that his stadium will be built, there is a likelihood that he could now get almost 100% of his projected construction costs from a naming deal.

On the other hand, the downtown plan has $700M from the Farmers Field naming rights. Which is a lot of money, but that still leaves $2.3 billion in construction costs unaccounted for.

Look, I vastly prefer the possibility of a downtown stadium to one in Industry. But facts are facts, and no amount of my preferring the other plan can diminish what Roski has accomplished so far, nor weaken his position.

We both obviously read the situation differently (downtown for instance won't cost 3 billion), but the only fact is neither of us have all the facts. Roski would be flush, he could be near bankrupt, downtown could be months from approval or it may never happen... we both don't know.

We both obviously read the situation differently (downtown for instance won't cost 3 billion), but the only fact is neither of us have all the facts. Roski would be flush, he could be near bankrupt, downtown could be months from approval or it may never happen... we both don't know.

Chances are that it just might cost $3 Billion. Look at what the bolded part in the article says.

gbaCXZn.png

yeah, bosrs1 - it looks you're trying to have it both ways.

Your article, which calls Roski's financing a hurdle he has to jump (and from which you've inferred that he has a cash flow problem), also says that "Some estimates have put the cost of a downtown stadium as high as $3 billion".

You're reading something into the article which may or may not be there while simultaneously rejecting what the article actually says. :P

yeah, bosrs1 - it looks you're trying to have it both ways.

Your article, which calls Roski's financing a hurdle he has to jump (and from which you've inferred that he has a cash flow problem), also says that "Some estimates have put the cost of a downtown stadium as high as $3 billion".

You're reading something into the article which may or may not be there while simultaneously rejecting what the article actually says. :P

Well we know the 3 billion is a BIG overestimation for downtown. Almost all outlets have the price in the 1 billion range. So I admit the whole article could be garbage anyway. The only reason I cited it was it was the easiest to find ref that Roski has money flow issues. Most of the other times I've heard that it's been on the radio.

The Grizzlies also fell victim to a weak Canadian dollar, over and above the incredibly piss-poor management of Stu Jackson.

It didn't help that they had to paper the hell out of the arena just to look like they had 13000 in there, but that's beside the point.

I'd like to add the Raptors weren't successful unit they moved into ACC. Nobody went to see them play in SkyDome.

As for the talk about MLB expansion, would the team go to NL or AL. Milwaukee had to move to the NL so the teams were even and the schedule was balanced. Having one team come in would throw everything off.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

They'd just add both to the American League, presumably. Both '93 expansion teams went to the NL.

Would they? I was under the impression that the 1998 teams were split up so both leagues could divvy up the expansion monies. Would they do that again? (Rather, what is the plan for divvying up expansion monies since both leagues have merged administratively)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm no expert, but I'd wager that you answered your own question: since the leagues no longer exist as separate legal entities, all 30 teams would reap the financial windfall of the Charlotte Hey-This-Ain't-No-NASCARs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Hey, I'm kind of new here so I am sorry if I'm bringing up old info, but a few years ago bizjournals did this piece on professional sports expansion based on community abilities to support a team finacially. Here's a pretty cool interactive map that show what communities could support teams for NFL, MBL, NBA, NFL and MLS. Its pretty interesting stuff. according to the article the only communities that can support MLB are Montreal (dont think thats going to happen again soon), Riverside, CA and maybe Northern New Jersey.

Hey, I'm kind of new here so I am sorry if I'm bringing up old info, but a few years ago bizjournals did this piece on professional sports expansion based on community abilities to support a team finacially. Here's a pretty cool interactive map that show what communities could support teams for NFL, MBL, NBA, NFL and MLS. Its pretty interesting stuff. according to the article the only communities that can support MLB are Montreal (dont think thats going to happen again soon), Riverside, CA and maybe Northern New Jersey.

Wow, that's really neat. Thanks for sharing.

Stern has recently been quoted saying that the NBA could return to Vancouver if the opportunity is right.

Don't see why not. GM Place is still a fairly new arena (only 15 yrs old) and has both the suite and total capacity the NBA would be looking for. Along with having been upgraded in various ways continuously over the last few years.

Stern has recently been quoted saying that the NBA could return to Vancouver if the opportunity is right.

Stern also said that the NBA's number one goal is to keep the Hornets in New Orleans and not contract them, but some owners have said that they would like contraction.

In his Monday interview with ESPN's Bill Simmons, the issues regarding the Hornets were the catalyst for a ten minutes on expansion/relocation.

From the interview (Direct link to interview. Go to the 20:00 mark):

SIMMONS: Do you feel that there is city that should have an NBA team that doesn't?

STERN: No. I think there are cities that have expressed interest in a NBA team.

He did say, "My regrets are that we didn't do a ... weren't able to do a better job of getting a building moved along so that we could have kept a team there."

Then is the rest of it is Stern naming cities with cities with venues which could host a franchise.

FWIW, the Canucks' ownership met with Stern on Monday for the purposes of purchasing the Hornets and moving them to Vancouver.

As a nod to everyone's favorite rebranding "suggestion"...

How active is Vancouver's Jazz scene?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived