Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bad, meant to say the Bucks.

As good as I think that would be for Milwaukee in the long run, it's not gonna happen while one of the longest tenured U.S. Senators owns the team.

Why would contracting the Bucks be good for Milwaukee? To avoid paying for an arena?

If so, then the same could be argued for the T-Wolves. Other than the arena issue, I don't know that it would be good to contract the Wolves, but it makes total sense. I don't want it to happen, but I cannot argue if it does.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The truly sad part is, while contraction would probably be better for three of the four major sports leagues, their respective commissioners and player unions are so against the idea, that they'd rather continue to water down the product and destroy their respective leagues that way.

The truly sad part is, while contraction would probably be better for three of the four major sports leagues, their respective commissioners and player unions are so against the idea, that they'd rather continue to water down the product and destroy their respective leagues that way.

I wouldn't say they're "for" it, but both Selig and Stern have mentioned it as possibilities, so I'd say the commissioners aren't against it. Players are because it takes away jobs.

I wouldn't say they're "for" it, but both Selig and Stern have mentioned it as possibilities, so I'd say the commissioners aren't against it. Players are because it takes away jobs.

Exactly. Just because they have mentioned it doesn't mean they want to deal with the public and union backlash of having to say... "you know, this expansion thing... I think we might have overdone it a bit."

My bad, meant to say the Bucks.

As good as I think that would be for Milwaukee in the long run, it's not gonna happen while one of the longest tenured U.S. Senators owns the team.

Why would contracting the Bucks be good for Milwaukee? To avoid paying for an arena?

Yeah, there's really no sense in raising taxes to build a brand-new arena. Perhaps Kohl should've built his Kohl Center in Milwaukee instead of Madison if he really believed the Bradley Center was in desperate need of replacement. There's the state of Wisconsin basketball in a nutshell; even the guy who owns the NBA team seems to prefer the college game at heart.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Los Angeles Clippers move to Anaheim, CA

and become...

The Anaheim Clippers of Lights Out World....

No, really. The Anaheim Clippers. Make it happen Sterling.

Personally, I thought if the Clippers ever actually did move to Anaheim, they would be better off going with the Orange County Clippers.

Sounds enough like Orange County Choppers (different OC, though), making it easy enough to market. I like the OCC abbreviation. I enjoy alliteration in team names. And really since Anaheim doesn't have a port, Clippers makes more sense to be put with the entire county and it's coastline.

Idk. I'd always liked that idea if a move were to ever happen.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

No offense to Orange County or anything, but the Orange County Clippers sounds very minor league, much like the Golden State Warriors. At least with the New England Patriots, it can be said that they're a professional sports franchise for an entire region, and counties aren't regions. However, if they do indeed move to Anaheim, a switch to Black and Orange (minus the gold, to not be a basketball rip-off of the Ducks) would be unique (I believe only the Buffalo Braves used the combo), and very good from an identity standpoint since it's usually hard to :censored: up a Black and Orange uniform. As for the name... not sure, Avengers came to mind, but I don't know about that.

Couldn't they simply expand rosters in the event of contraction, at least for a few years? Cut 2 NBA teams and add one roster spot for the remaining 28, you have basically the same number of jobs.

Couldn't they simply expand rosters in the event of contraction, at least for a few years? Cut 2 NBA teams and add one roster spot for the remaining 28, you have basically the same number of jobs.

Problem is you don't have as many starting jobs to offer, even if you expand rosters. That is what both the union and indeed the league are concerned about. It's why you'll never see contraction in MLB and it's not likely in the others sports either. Contraction isn't a real threat so much as it's a bargaining tool to use in stadium/arena negotiations (hence the teams threatened with contraction aren't necessarily the worst teams on or off field, they're just the teams that the league would like new ballparks for)

Job loss isn't the issue so much as the reduced salary pool. The cap isn't going to go up to compensate for the boost in roster size.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Job loss isn't the issue so much as the reduced salary pool. The cap isn't going to go up to compensate for the boost in roster size.

That's true, but if David Stern and the NBA owners have their way during the upcoming negotiations, then there's already the chance that there's going to be a reduction in player salary across the board, so I would imagine the possibility of contraction is still very much alive for the NBA. It doesn't mean it will happen, but one can't be so sure that the association won't resort to that.

That is just looking at the "top of the pyramid".

There is still an impact for the non-players involved in a franchise of a team is contracted. All of those current and future Sport Management just lost out on jobs in Ticket Operations or Marketing since two franchises are gone. The support staffs at all levels are also without jobs. Those part-time jobs within the facility on gameday are also lost.

I do not know how many jobs would be lost locally, but it is likely to be between 50-150, but we are somewhat aware of their revenues and how that is either dispersed in other areas locally or just lost.

That is just looking at the "top of the pyramid".

There is still an impact for the non-players involved in a franchise of a team is contracted. All of those current and future Sport Management just lost out on jobs in Ticket Operations or Marketing since two franchises are gone. The support staffs at all levels are also without jobs. Those part-time jobs within the facility on gameday are also lost.

I do not know how many jobs would be lost locally, but it is likely to be between 50-150, but we are somewhat aware of their revenues and how that is either dispersed in other areas locally or just lost.

Here would be my question to you dfwabel. If a team has been losing money for quite some time, and becomes a drain not just on the owner, but the league through revenue sharing (depending on how exactly it's shared), wouldn't a better option be to put the franchise out of business.

I mean, let's say 50-150 jobs are lost and the local economy is obviously effected in some way (stadium/arena vendors, or sports bar, etc.), how could that be any different than let's say a company who chooses to let go of 50-150 employees, because the position is no longer needed. I would imagine, a business would want to do that to cut costs and run more efficiently in the long-term. Certainly, contraction can't be too bad of an option for the NBA or other leagues.

Los Angeles Clippers move to Anaheim, CA

and become...

The Anaheim Clippers of Lights Out World....

No, really. The Anaheim Clippers. Make it happen Sterling.

Jesus Christ on a cracker. How many times does it have to be explained to you people that the Clippers aren't moving to Anaheim? It makes no financial sense for them, therefore it will not occur. Simple as that. Give it a rest.

Oh, and the "(city) (team name) of (other city)" joke got old a loooooong time ago.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived