WAC

cyandlux

Plan C, but with a twist...

-New Mexico State and Louisiana Tech join Conference USA (NMSU in the West and Louisiana Tech in the East)

-Idaho and Utah State join the Mountain West (Despite Boise State running interference to block the Vandals)

-Hawaii goes Independent

-San Jose State either falls down to 1-AA (Big Sky or Great West would be a good fit) or pulls the plug on their football program (Which could happen someday down the road)

There's a problem with that plan though. Why would C-USA want LA Tech or NMSU? They add nothing. Same for Idaho going to the Mountain West. Utah State could be a possibility in the Mountain West though, especially for basketball.

In the case of Louisiana Tech, it's either that or the Sun Belt and I've heard that the Sun Belt isn't all that fond of Louisiana Tech to begin with. By having them and New Mexico State join Conference USA, it'll help expand the conference footprint (Which goes from Texas to West Virginia) and it will not only keep older rivalries alive (New Mexico State and UTEP), it can create new rivalries (Louisiana Tech and Tulane, for example)

As for Idaho, it's either that or joining San Jose State in the FCS ranks and I don't think the Vandals really want to regress that much. Yeah, they were a member of the Big Sky a long time ago, but I just don't think that is what they want.

Right, LA Tech has pretty well burned its bridges with the Sun Belt, but I can't see why C-USA would go after them either. They don't add any really good programs and they don't add a major market (or anything close to it). They're basically a Sun Belt-caliber school but they've burned their bridges with them. So good luck LA Tech.

The same pretty much applies to New Mexico State. They don't add a great program or major market to C-USA and they already whine about having to go as far as El Paso. Don't think they want to go further. I could see them in the Sun Belt if for no other reason than to completely kill off the WAC.

I can't see Idaho back in the Sun Belt, same with Utah State. They're going to have to hope for the Mountain West most likely and I don't think Idaho has a shot at that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, the people in Las Cruces are really whiny, aren't they. They aren't happy with going to El Paso (Which can't be that far away) which shocks me because you'd think they would complain about going to Honolulu every other year.

Now, just for fun... Let's say the WAC does stay alive with the six they have? Two options that come to mind already are Denver (Sun Belt school without football) and Seattle U. (also without football). Adding these two schools would be good for everything but football. That's where schools like Sacramento State and Cal Poly can come in as associate members so the WAC can reach the prerequsite of 8 football playing schools (in 2014-2015 at the best) while having Denver and Seattle U. as non-football members.

If Denver is moving anywhere, they are a better fit in the West Coast Conference and be the travel partner for BYU since they are a faith-based school like the rest of the WCC.

For all who think that moving a FCS team is the way to go, remember that each athletic department would have to find a way to find an additional 22 football scholarships which will be about and additional $420,000/year (I used the approximate cost of a year at Cal Poly of $19.125 for an in-state resident).

All this at a time when no FCS athletics program reported net generated revenues in 2009. The median negative net generated revenue (expenses in excess of generated revenues) in 2008 was $7.9 million and $8.7 million in 2009. These net losses have increased steadily over six years.

In my opinion, all teams in the WAC should hope that both Bosie St. and TCU of the MT. West win out and make a strong push to play in the BCS title game. The BCS voters and selection comittiee have no respect for the any conference that does not fall into the "6 power conferences". With a non power conference team going undefeated year in and year out and not winning the BCS championship it only gives the BCS a black eye. The more black eyes that the BCS gets, the more likely the are to move towards a playoff. Perhaps an 8 team playoff with all conference champions and the next highest remaining ranked teams who are not conference champions. Would that be ideal?

Bob

In my opinion, all teams in the WAC should hope that both Bosie St. and TCU of the MT. West win out and make a strong push to play in the BCS title game. The BCS voters and selection comittiee have no respect for the any conference that does not fall into the "6 power conferences". With a non power conference team going undefeated year in and year out and not winning the BCS championship it only gives the BCS a black eye. The more black eyes that the BCS gets, the more likely the are to move towards a playoff. Perhaps an 8 team playoff with all conference champions and the next highest remaining ranked teams who are not conference champions. Would that be ideal?

Bob

It also does nothing to address the WAC not having enough football members to remain an active NCAA Conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like the Hawaii as independent idea, but i think they would be hard pressed to get any hoe games in the second half of the season.

The WAC also blew the BYU deal when Fresno and Reno announced they were leaving and BYU scrambled to join the WCC at the last minute. I never realized the WCC were all religious schools, either.

I believe the rules state that a conference needs 8 schools in order to play.

If they bring up Sac St, Cal Poly and Davis - it won't be as full members. All 3 of those schools are playing at least 2 D1 games this year in football.

I could've sworn only 6 schools were needed for a conference. I seem to recall this being the basis of the suit the Big East filed against the ACC when they went after Miami, VT and BC... they originally wanted Syracuse as well which would've brought the Big East down to 5 teams and shut down the conference by default. Also, IIRC, C-USA started football with only 6 schools.

I could've sworn only 6 schools were needed for a conference. I seem to recall this being the basis of the suit the Big East filed against the ACC when they went after Miami, VT and BC... they originally wanted Syracuse as well which would've brought the Big East down to 5 teams and shut down the conference by default. Also, IIRC, C-USA started football with only 6 schools.

It varies by sport. Somebody dug it up when things blew up a couple of weeks ago, but for football the WAC is either at the minimum or below the minimum.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The WAC could be in trouble:

Cal Poly & UC-Davis are joining the Big Sky Conference for football.

Press Release

Not only that, but it'll be the death knell for the Great West in terms of football. Southern Utah would be snatched up by the Big Sky while the Dakotas would end up in the Missouri Valley Football Conference to join their breatheren in the State schools.

A six team WAC can still keep automatic bids to NCAA Championships, but just temporarily. A conference has a two year grace period with six teams. If the WAC is at six teams in 2012-13 and 2013-14, it would have until 2015 to add a seventh member. Another rule is that the remaining six schools have to have been together for five continuous years to keep an automatic bid.

Press Release

Not only that, but it'll be the death knell for the Great West in terms of football. Southern Utah would be snatched up by the Big Sky while the Dakotas would end up in the Missouri Valley Football Conference to join their breatheren in the State schools.

Or it could be that the Big Sky is about to lose some of its existing members and is bulking up to prepare for that. Bravado aside, I'm not quite sure how a Division/Conference Championship Game setup gibes with Division I-AA's playoff structure.

Today, we are all otaku.

Press Release

Or it could be that the Big Sky is about to lose some of its existing members and is bulking up to prepare for that. Bravado aside, I'm not quite sure how a Division/Conference Championship Game setup gibes with Division I-AA's playoff structure.

It doesn't really work all that well. The CAA, when it had 12 schools, didn't have a championship game. The SWAC, despite being a 10 team league, holds it's championship game during the playoffs. So, if the Big Sky heads into that possible scenario, there are current and previous leagues to show as an example.

I still think when the moratorium expires (assuming it's not renewed), Montana, Portland State, and Sacramento State should be where the WAC turns as far as future membership (Maybe Montana State if Montana wants to play hardball about moving up)

bYhYmxh.png

I still think when the moratorium expires (assuming it's not renewed), Montana, Portland State, and Sacramento State should be where the WAC turns as far as future membership (Maybe Montana State if Montana wants to play hardball about moving up)

Remember that their TV contract is subject to review since their three marquee teams have left. In adding those three schools, the conference and its members cannot expect to have the same monies from ESPN.

In addition to the additional money for scholarships, FCS coaching staffs operate on a different salary scale than FBS. Any school who is looking to move up must also take that into consideration and if a public school, needs to have alumni/boosters ready to make up the difference.

If you want to hear the thoughts of Karl Benson and some option which he thinks he has, listen to the teleconference he held following the announcements from Fresno State and Nevada.

Not to go too far off topic, but after reading this part of the press release:

"For both Cal Poly and UC Davis, aligning their football programs with the Big Sky offers the opportunity to compete in a conference with an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs, continue and renew natural rivalries, and to develop new rivalries by playing the same teams each year."

Does this mean not all 1-AA conferences get automatic bids to the playoffs?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

"For both Cal Poly and UC Davis, aligning their football programs with the Big Sky offers the opportunity to compete in a conference with an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs, continue and renew natural rivalries, and to develop new rivalries by playing the same teams each year."

Not all of them do. They expanded the field to 20 teams this year to add 2 auto bids, but conferences like the Great West w/o enough teams (I think they only have 5...) and the Pioneer (non-scholarship) don't get automatic bids. Also, the SWAC doesn't get one, and they don't want one IIRC.

6fQjS3M.png

Not all of them do. They expanded the field to 20 teams this year to add 2 auto bids, but conferences like the Great West w/o enough teams (I think they only have 5...) and the Pioneer (non-scholarship) don't get automatic bids. Also, the SWAC doesn't get one, and they don't want one IIRC.

The SWAC does not take a spot in the playoffs as they schools make more money from their "classics" and the current SWAC title game than they would get from participating in the playoffs.

The SWAC is most likely to end their title game and renew the Heritage Bowl with the MEAC (under a new name the Legacy Bowl).

The SWAC does not take a spot in the playoffs as they schools make more money from their "classics" and the current SWAC title game than they would get from participating in the playoffs.

The SWAC is most likely to end their title game and renew the Heritage Bowl with the MEAC (under a new name the Legacy Bowl).

Also HBCU teams have historically not done well at all in the playoffs.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived