Is my college's logo too similar to Philadelphia's?

Master Amino

I go to Northwestern College (Minnesota) and we're the Eagles. Well today I noticed how similar our logo is compared to the Philly version:

test1_614.jpgphiladelphia-eagles-logo.jpg

So what do you think? Copycat or not? There's enough changes to not make it blasphemously identical, but it's completely obvious that the designer used Philly's as a template.

I'm a little disappointed. It's a nice logo, but I would've liked to see some originality. There may be A TON of Eagles teams and logos out there already...but that's no excuse not to create a unique one. Just my opinion.

HybridLogos-NBA-Timberwolves.png?t=1336836952

There are only so many ways to create an eagle head logo so similarities will exist.

I disagree. There are plenty of unique enough looking Eagle logos out there. I actually have to create one for a class project and I've been looking at every Eagle logo I can find. Like I said...there's plenty.

HybridLogos-NBA-Timberwolves.png?t=1336836952

I go to Northwestern College (Minnesota) and we're the Eagles. Well today I noticed how similar our logo is compared to the Philly version:

So what do you think? Copycat or not? There's enough changes to not make it blasphemously identical, but it's completely obvious that the designer used Philly's as a template.

I'm a little disappointed. It's a nice logo, but I would've liked to see some originality. There may be A TON of Eagles teams and logos out there already...but that's no excuse not to create a unique one. Just my opinion.

The shading on the neck is the only similarity I see.

I'm with the original poster. The Philly Eagles logo was absolutely referenced and tweaked when this logo was designed for the school. You can tell with the design of the eyes, beak, etc. I've done a bird before, with my ksu owls redesign, and I know that there plenty of different ways to do bird logos.

this was def a copycat design

I totally agree. Yes there are thousands of Eagles teams around the world so they are going to have very similar eagles. But surely when you get to college and professional sports you want your own brand.

Here is the old school West Coast Eagles logo and current logo

WestCoast80s.pngwest_coast_eagles.jpg

And it's not an eagle but close enough from the Hawthorn Hawks

Hawthorn_Hawks-1.gifHawthorn.jpg

Ok they're not great but at least they are trying =) In short, lift your game Minnesota. Give a local struggling art student some coin, i'm sure not much would be needed and see if they can come up with some good scribbles ... and go Vikes!

Looks to me as though the designer might have been looking at the Philly eagle when he drew his, but under my admittedly shaky understanding of intellectual property law that's okay.

While there is a design influence, the rendering seems pretty clearly his.

And it looked better without the purple.

I'm with the original poster. The Philly Eagles logo was absolutely referenced and tweaked when this logo was designed for the school. You can tell with the design of the eyes, beak, etc. I've done a bird before, with my ksu owls redesign, and I know that there plenty of different ways to do bird logos.

this was def a copycat design

well said. the logo was referenced if not traced, then adjusted. no doubt about it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Yeah, it looks like a copycat to me. The beak and eyeballs are exactly the same.

I always laugh at colleges when they do stuff like this - like they think nobody will notice.

Also, that's not great for branding. It shows potential students and investors that the college 1) lacks originality and 2) is quasi-guilty of intellectual theft. Those are two things you don't really want to have associated with your "institute of higher learning."

Archived