2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Nabokov needs to just shut up, and show up. He wanted back in the NHL, and he got it...well, sort of.

Nabokov's take on this per NHL.com

"I understand the rules," Nabokov told ESPN.com. "We're not stupid. We knew what was going on before we made the decision. But I made this decision because the goal was to play with Detroit."

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nabokov needs to just shut up, and show up. He wanted back in the NHL, and he got it...well, sort of.

"I understand the rules," Nabokov told ESPN.com. "We're not stupid. We knew what was going on before we made the decision. But I made this decision because the goal was to play with Detroit."

If he understood the rules then he'd obey the leagues ruling.

Bob McKenzie outlines whats next.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

He knew the rules. If he didn't I'm sure his agent told him the rules. He is just being an entitled brat on this one.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

RE-ENTRY WAIVERS

"Hey guys, anyone want the last slice of pizza? ... Anyone? ... Aaaaannnnyone? Last call before I put it in the fridge for tomorrow."

15 minutes pass

"Hmm, I'm gonna go grab that piece of pizza I just put away."

"NO MAN I'M GONNA TAKE IT FIRST OUTTA MY WAY"

"what the hell man i asked if you wanted it like 15 minutes ago"

"Sorry, that's the way it's gotta be..."

RE-ENTRY WAIVERS: AHL EPILOGUE

"...oh, and also, I believe you owe me half the money for that pizza you're not gonna eat anymore."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He is obeying the rules. There's nothing in the rules that says he has to play for the Islanders. He has a choice and he doesn't have to play for the team that claimed him. I will say the waiver rule in the NHL is completely stupid. Why would you have a team sign a player and then put him through waivers. If they NHL had a brain and we know they don't by the way they are dealing with head shots, they'd have the player go through waivers before a team could sign a player. Ah but the NHL and their forward thinking... oh wait, it's backwards thinking.

Well Detroit didn't want ya.

Actually, they did. That's how this all started. He signed a contract with the Red Wings for the prorated league minimum and the Islanders picked him up on the waiver wire after Detroit signed him.

He is obeying the rules. There's nothing in the rules that says he has to play for the Islanders. He has a choice and he doesn't have to play for the team that claimed him. I will say the waiver rule in the NHL is completely stupid. Why would you have a team sign a player and then put him through waivers. If they NHL had a brain and we know they don't by the way they are dealing with head shots, they'd have the player go through waivers before a team could sign a player. Ah but the NHL and their forward thinking... oh wait, it's backwards thinking.

Whats to stop a back door deal with a team, lets say the Red Wings for this example, says to Nabokov during the offseason, hey look, we dont have the cap room for you right now, and we've gotta goaltending situation we want to see shake out. Go play for the KHL for now, and when we need you, we just sign you later on in the year. I'm not saying thats whats happening right now, I'm saying thats what this waiver process prevents. Its convoluted for sure and overly complicated, but theres a reason its in place.

Now if Peter Forsberg were to declare himself healthy enough to play, he would NOT have to pass through waivers because he has not played in any league yet this year.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Actually, they did. That's how this all started. He signed a contract with the Red Wings for the prorated league minimum and the Islanders picked him up on the waiver wire after Detroit signed him.

Rumor has it that this is exactly what Detroit wanted... to keep Nabokov away from a contender. Either they knew he'd get claimed or their ego is so big to assume that nobody would get in their way with Nabokov.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Someone has to explain NHL waivers to me beyond the obvious case of making sure that a proven major leaguer has every chance to remain one before being assigned to a minor league affiliate or loaned overseas. There is no reason why Nabokov should not be a Red Wing right now. All 30 teams had a chance to sign him when he was a free agent this summer; they did not. That's why he settled for playing in Russia, because everyone knows that Nabokov is a guy who perennially backstopped loaded rosters to early exits. All 30 teams had a chance to sign him after he went to the KHL, and Detroit did so. Why, then, must his contract be offered to the likes of Long Island before it can be approved? If they wanted to sign Nabokov in free agency or out of Russia, they had over six months to do it on their own terms. Why should they get to do it on someone else's?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Question: What if Nabokov reports to the Islanders and plays one game for them and says "That was fun, see ya!" then goes back to Russia. Because he did report and played in a game, wouldn't he be allowed to become a free agent next year?

So much for Getzlaf's injury being a death sentence for the Ducks. This was their best January winning percentage in franchise history.

So if you don't need Getzlaf, how about trading him to the Kings for a conditional draft pick in the year 2255? :hockeysmiley:

So much for Getzlaf's injury being a death sentence for the Ducks. This was their best January winning percentage in franchise history.

So if you don't need Getzlaf, how about trading him to the Kings for a conditional draft pick in the year 2255? :hockeysmiley:

Add in Andy Sutton for Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson and cash and you've got a deal :P

---

But seriously, it's awesome that they're doing this with Getzy out. They're still scoring goals and they have the #3 PP in the league right now. But even with that scoring, Hiller plays a huge role in this streak of great play. They're not winning many games by more than one or two goals.

Gotta hope that Getzlaf fits right back in when he gets back after this All-Star Break. When he's been in, the Ducks have tried to spread out the scoring and switching Bobby Ryan around on the lines. Bobby's been playing center while Getzlaf has been out.

I always want Getzlaf on the team, he's a great talent no doubt. Just hope the chemistry still clicks.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Add in Andy Sutton for Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson and cash and you've got a deal :P

---

But seriously, it's awesome that they're doing this with Getzy out. They're still scoring goals and they have the #3 PP in the league right now. But even with that scoring, Hiller plays a huge role in this streak of great play. They're not winning many games by more than one or two goals.

Gotta hope that Getzlaf fits right back in when he gets back after this All-Star Break. When he's been in, the Ducks have tried to spread out the scoring and switching Bobby Ryan around on the lines. Bobby's been playing center while Getzlaf has been out.

I always want Getzlaf on the team, he's a great talent no doubt. Just hope the chemistry still clicks.

If that's the case, I say throw in Cam Fowler and Bobby Ryan and I'll throw in Scott Parse, Peter Harrold, and Kevin Westgarth and you got a deal.

---

If that's the case, I say throw in Cam Fowler and Bobby Ryan and I'll throw in Scott Parse, Peter Harrold, and Kevin Westgarth and you got a deal.

The GM's of the Kings and Ducks are going to bo so pissed at you guys for making a trade without consulting them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived