New York City changing its street signs

Shmee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I look at this, the more it bugs me, and this is purely about the signs. Aren't the lower-case letters disproportionately large? They come almost to the top of the capitals on these signs. In normal typeface, lower case letters are roughly half as tall as upper case. If it bothers me, how in the world could the font nerds sign off on it?

Because this has everything to do with legibility and nothing (or at least considerably less) to do with aesthetics.

Yeah, well, call me crazy but when the letter sizes are mismatched I find it distracting, and distractions = bad when it comes to street signs.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Horrible move. NYC's street signs are iconic.

New York City's street signs are certainly not iconic -- anymore. Nowadays our street signs are standardised and ordinary; but they once did approach "iconic" status. Not long ago, each significant borough had its own instantly-recognisable colour scheme.

Manhattan (and Staten Island): blue on yellow

unionsq.jpg

Brooklyn: white on black

E5%2618a.JPG

Queens: blue on white

58c.jpg

Bronx: white on blue

dyreoricchio.jpg

(All images from Forgotten New York.)

I found it sad when these were replaced with standardised green signs. A bit of visual culture lost. So, for this reason, I was happy at the return of a different bit of visual culture that was equally iconic: the New York State licence plates' reverting to the traditional colours of blue and yellow, after a couple of unattractive designs using blue letters on a white background.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

If anyone has a hard time reading the large caps signs, perhaps they shouldn't be driving in the first place. Personally, I think the safety studies are bunk.

This is the kind of thing you can propose when there are budget surpluses. But when your state is mired in debt, such expenses are absurd. This is when you need leaders who challenge the federal mandates and say..."no, we're not going to do this right now". In this environment, there's no way the feds would cut funds....the backlash would be too intense. I have relatives in NY (Long Island), some Dems, some Repubs and a few Indeps. All are fed up with the fiscal irresponsibility. This shouldn't be a party issue or ideological issue. It's just an issue of common sense.

The more I look at this, the more it bugs me, and this is purely about the signs. Aren't the lower-case letters disproportionately large? They come almost to the top of the capitals on these signs. In normal typeface, lower case letters are roughly half as tall as upper case. If it bothers me, how in the world could the font nerds sign off on it?

Because this has everything to do with legibility and nothing (or at least considerably less) to do with aesthetics.

Yeah, well, call me crazy but when the letter sizes are mismatched I find it distracting, and distractions = bad when it comes to street signs.

Yeah, but I don't think the idea is to get you to stare at the street signs out of awe or digust while driving. I think the idea is to incorporate a font that has been "proven" to be more legible at certain distances. If you are staring at street signs while driving for any other reason than to read the sign, and you get into an accident, I think it's safe to say that it's your own fault (as opposed to a hard-to-read-font).

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Yeah, but I don't think the idea is to get you to stare at the street signs out of awe or digust while driving. I think the idea is to incorporate a font that has been "proven" to be more legible at certain distances. If you are staring at street signs while driving for any other reason than to read the sign, and you get into an accident, I think it's safe to say that it's your own fault (as opposed to a hard-to-read-font).

Have to love irony. That's exactly my point! Are the current signs illegible? No...so what margin of improvement are we talking about, and is it worth the monetary investment? My feeling is the gains in legibility are negligible when weighed against the expense of replacing all the signs.

[quote name=cesarano' date='October 14, 2010 - 12:26' timestamp='1287073574'

(All images from Forgotten New York.)

I'd just like to point out that I spent about 2 hours on that site. Completely fascinating. And I've only been to NYC once. Thanks for sharing that!

[edit] why is it quoting me? I was talking about cesarano's link to "Forgotten New York" ... and that's what shows up when I try to edit the post. Weird :wacko:

[edit again] now it's quoting my signature. This is fun!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Not much of a huge difference. The article says, though, that the changes are happening because of Federal law. What law is that, exactly?

It is part of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and if a city doesn't follow it they risk losing federal funding for street projects. This is occuring nationwide.

More Government Mandated Horse Manure (for lack of a better expletive!) t we have to lose $27 Million of our heard earned money to the Safety Nazi Nannies.

YOU SAY YOU WANT A REVOLUTION? COUNT ME IN!!!

I'm not sure you actually want a revolution. Sees as conservatives tend to ultimately lose/perish horribly in large quantities in said revolution.

/Shouldn't it be counter-revolution anyway? :P

//Speaking as someone with crappy eyesight, any improvement to street sign visibility and legibility is fine with me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT, upon further thought, I'd like to see how much is spent annually on street signs in New York to begin with. Somehow I suspect the price tag is not that much lower than what they spent on this project, because to be honest $27 million isn't a lot for a city the size of New York.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Have to love irony. That's exactly my point! Are the current signs illegible? No...so what margin of improvement are we talking about, and is it worth the monetary investment? My feeling is the gains in legibility are negligible when weighed against the expense of replacing all the signs.

Many of the signs are due to be replaced anyway, and they have until 2018 to phase out all the old signs and replace them with Clearview-lettered signs. In fact, I believe the put the mandate out that the entire country has to be Clearview-lettered by 2018.

Here is a good, in-depth history of all that went into the typeface's creation: http://clearviewhwy.com/ResearchAndDesign/

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

highway-fonts.jpg

perry_ave--300x300.jpg

Because you're probably not a font nerd. The lowercase letters are always more than half as tall as the uppercase letters. Two-thirds is a better ballpark average for the height ratio of lowercase to uppercase in 'normal' typefaces. Why are you so bitter about something that helps drivers make less navigation mistakes? :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Not much of a huge difference. The article says, though, that the changes are happening because of Federal law. What law is that, exactly?

It is part of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and if a city doesn't follow it they risk losing federal funding for street projects. This is occuring nationwide.

More Government Mandated Horse Manure (for lack of a better expletive!) t we have to lose $27 Million of our heard earned money to the Safety Nazi Nannies.

I'm not sure you actually want a revolution. Sees as conservatives tend to ultimately lose/perish horribly in large quantities in said revolution.

/Shouldn't it be counter-revolution anyway? :P

//Speaking as someone with crappy eyesight, any improvement to street sign visibility and legibility is fine with me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT, upon further thought, I'd like to see how much is spent annually on street signs in New York to begin with. Somehow I suspect the price tag is not that much lower than what they spent on this project, because to be honest $27 million isn't a lot for a city the size of New York.

Call it RevoluC!ion

I saw, I came, I left.

highway-fonts.jpg

perry_ave--300x300.jpg

Because you're probably not a font nerd. The lowercase letters are always more than half as tall as the uppercase letters. Two-thirds is a better ballpark average for the height ratio of lowercase to uppercase in 'normal' typefaces. Why are you so bitter about something that helps drivers make less navigation mistakes? :P

Bitter? Not at all, just seems like a classic "ain't broke so don't fix it" deal. So some font nerds were up in arms over a few discrepancies in the current font. That's justification for changing every street sign in the country? Overkill. The proof is that there's little media coverage and it's only being discussed at all by obsessives like us. Nobody else cares and few people will even notice the change, so obviously there wasn't any glaring need to spend a lot of time and money on this.

highway-fonts.jpg

perry_ave--300x300.jpg

Bitter? Not at all, just seems like a classic "ain't broke so don't fix it" deal. So some font nerds were up in arms over a few discrepancies in the current font. That's justification for changing every street sign in the country? Overkill. The proof is that there's little media coverage and it's only being discussed at all by obsessives like us. Nobody else cares and few people will even notice the change, so obviously there wasn't any glaring need to spend a lot of time and money on this.

The main issue is that, by the time this is phased in, the baby boomers (a large portion of the driving population) will be in their 70s. Most of the characteristics of the Clearview typeface benefit older drivers the most. It seems they saw an approaching need (and figured it would benefit others as well), so why not develop something to improve the signs for the future? I don't see it as changing something that wasn't broke. There are tons of highway signs that need replaced anyway, so why not make them more functional in the process? It makes perfect sense. It's not like they're not taking down all these brand new signs that were put up last month with the old font. They're replacing them more or less on schedule with when they would have been replaced anyway. I think if we, as a society, just took everything as it was for 'good enough,' we wouldn't be where we are today. We're curious and progressive, and we're always striving to make things better. I just don't see how that's a bad thing.

Hmm. You know what, I actually agree with you when you put it that way. I do think that it's a net loss when you factor in money. I was trying to reason why they would make these changes, but when you put money into the equation, you're right, it's basically an unneeded and expensive overhaul.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

But it's not costing that much more money in the long run. Sure, it sounds like a terrible idea when someone throws out $27 million in an article, but it's not like they're writing a check for $27,000,000 and getting a bunch of signs in the mail. The current signs need to be replaced anyway. They're replacing them over the next few years, which is when most of them were due to be replaced to begin with. It's not really a difficult concept. They'd be spending the money anyway replacing the current signs that have the old font with new signs that have the old font. The only difference is they're replacing the current signs that have the old font with new signs that have the new font. There's very little extra money being spent here.

You do realize that the song that the line "you say you want a revolution" is from is about how the people advocating a "revolution" didn't have a plan and were being too extremist, and explictly says "you can count me out," right? Also, that the artists of said song were very left-leaning.

As for the signs, I'm not a big fan of how they look, but I get why they're doing it. There has to be a way around the federal regulation mandating white-on-green street signs - I know plenty of cities using white-on-blue (though that may be allowed under those federal regulations), and obviously NYC also uses white-on-maroon in its historical districts (which cover a large portion of Manhattan).

I've always wanted NYC to have iconic street signs, ones that would be immediately recognizable as "NYC." That can certainly happen within the federal regulations. I know and 5th Avenue, and maybe some other streets around Midtown, the signs often have the Statue of Liberty on them - perhaps that should've become part of all the new street signs.

The money being spent on this really is not much though: http://robert.accettura.com/blog/2010/09/30/the-real-cost-of-changing-nyc-street-signs/

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Cleveland Street signs are white on blue. I haven't been back to check and see if there's any of them have been updated yet, though. The highway signs around Cleveland are gradually shifting over, though. They are much easier to read.

Archived