Who's worse? Canucks or Sabres

Buffalo

Interesting reading in the otherwise pedestrian Buffalo Spree magazine, which is kind of a regional entertainment/shopping magazine like "Chicago" and "Boston" and others I don't read regularly but this caught my eye...

Is there an NHL franchise?or anywhere in pro sports, for that matter?as fickle with its logo and color scheme as this one? Goodness, they change outfits the way we change socks. Maybe it's a Class of '70 thing, since the Vancouver Canucks mirror their spastic brethren to the east in this respect. The Nucks have gone retro, too, only recently finding their way back to those true blue-and-green shades that got them through the seventies. Remember those god-awful, yellow-and-gold "V" jerseys from the eighties, then the blue-red-gray nineties versions used until a few seasons ago? I suppose the Canucks have made bigger fools of themselves with color-scheme/logo changes over the years, but Buffalo's a close second.

:P:D:wacko:

The Canucks have had way more logo, colour, and minor tweaks to their uniforms over the years than the Sabres. NHL Uniforms has Buffalo at 12 different uni sets to 19 for Vancouver. And Vancouver has had three radically different colour schemes, where as even the Buffaslug jerseys were at least in a blue/gold style scheme.

The Penguins actually top them both, but I cite cheapness in ownership for that (when it was relevant. not so much now).

To answer the question, the Canucks were definitely the worst. I still don't think they've really defined what they are, it's just one "meh, that'll get us by for a while" answer after another. Blue/green - gold/orange/black - gold/black/red (that orange definitely seemed to get much darker in the 90s) - red/navy/royal/silver - blue/green. It's wild changes, and the jerseys have reflected that, "rink in stick" - "flying V" - "toned down Vs" - "lose the Vs or the 'plate of spaghetti' logo" - "orca logo" - "white orca logo with VANCOUVER script" - "back to rink in stick?"

The Sabres have more distinct eras: "blue/gold start" - "red/white/black goathead" - "buffaslug" - "almost back to the originals"

What REALLY decides this one, where two teams dance around trying to figure out who they are after deciding the first try couldn't possibly be the best answer in adolescent rebellion, is the original logo. For the Sabres, there's a buffalo, and there are two sabres - Buffalo Sabres. For the Canucks, there's a rink, and a stick, and if you squint at it, you can turn the outline of the rink into a C - hockey game C? As iconic as some people think that logo is, it does absolutely nothing to say what a "Canuck" is, and Johnny Canuck is the closest to an answer they've had...now if only they'd use it

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

canucks are far worse than any other team out there when it comes to jersey's and logos, but i just love the current set (yes i like the orca logo better than anything else they have had), and i just hope they stay with this set for at LEAST 25 years.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I nominate the Washington Capitals--they deserve honorable mention for delving into black and that blueish teal color, though I did like the eagle logo when it first came out. Their return to the red-white-blue scheme is good, but their uniforms are a mess.

Capitals12.png

Capitals16.png

Capitals20.png

Capitals24.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

As much as I love the color green, I still think the Canucks should go back to wearing their 90s unis. Seriously, how sweet are these?

<Insert 92-97 Jerseys HERE>

I prefer the "original" Skate colors compared to the post-1992 colors on those jerseys, it seemed to work better IMO. The jerseys still hold up well to this day, arguably both versions (if you're that nit-picky like I am <_< ). If only if recoloring the colors to their current colors would work on the Skate logo...(it gets kinda so-so to ugly if you do, I've tried this once).

Its hard to defend all the identity changes the canucks have gone through over the years(Just look at my avatar) but right now they are arguably one of the best dressed teams in the league (just look at those colours). Their alternate jersey with the stick and rink is spot on perfect. Make a white version of that and they would never need to change again.

Buffalo may have had a lot of designs, but basically they've been blue/gold, red/black/silver, then back to blue/gold (with a little silver).

I'd say Los Angeles is worse than Buffalo with changing color schemes...gold/purple, black/silver, black/silver/purple, purple/gold.

But yes, Vancouver is the worst at it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Comparing the Sabres' and Canucks' color palettes over the years:

Buffalo Sabres:

BuffaloSabres_FRC_1996_SOL_SRGB.png

BuffaloSabres_FRC_1999_SOL_SRGB.png

The Red was altered for the 1999-2000 season:

BuffaloSabres_FRC_2006_SOL_SRGB.png

BuffaloSabres_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Vancouver Canucks:

VancouverCanucks_FRC_1978_SOL_SRGB.png

VancouverCanucks_FRC_1992_SOL_SRGB.png

The Yellow and Red were tweaked for the 1992-1993 season:

VancouverCanucks_FRC_1997_SOL_SRGB.png

VancouverCanucks_FRC_2007_SOL_SRGB.png

VancouverCanucks_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

There ya have it.

The Sabres are worse because they violate "if it ain't broke". They never should have ditched the look they started with, and it's maddening how they come so close to going back to it but muck it up.

I like the 90s skate jerseys the best of all but I think you can argue that the Canucks jerseys have always been awful, and I know plenty of people (Canucks fans included) that do.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Go ahead and maroon and cream to the Canucks' color swatches, Don; they've just acquired the rights to the old Millionaires trademarks.

I fully expect to see a Millionaires alt set next season.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Go ahead and maroon and cream to the Canucks' color swatches, Don; they've just acquired the rights to the old Millionaires trademarks.

Oooh...and I already have their Pantone colors - well, at least the ones that the NHL estimated back in the '90s:

VancouverMillionairesMaroonsMaroon_1926_SOL_SRGB.png

Oooh...and I already have their Pantone colors - well, at least the ones that the NHL estimated back in the '90s:

VancouverMillionairesMaroonsMaroon_1926_SOL_SRGB.png

A Millionaires alt?

I just came.

Now if only Chicago can have a Portland Rosebuds throwback and Detroit can wear their Spokane Canaries (Or Victoria Senators/Aristocrats/Cougars) alts!!!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Anyone making below one million will be scratched for that game. <_<

I hate just about all of the vancouver logos because they all look ugly. The stick-in-a-box, the "V", the plate of spaghetti, etc.

I must credit the Sabres for finally dumping the Buffaslug and going back to their first logo.

Interesting reading in the otherwise pedestrian Buffalo Spree magazine, which is kind of a regional entertainment/shopping magazine like "Chicago" and "Boston" and others I don't read regularly but this caught my eye...

Is there an NHL franchise?or anywhere in pro sports, for that matter?as fickle with its logo and color scheme as this one? Goodness, they change outfits the way we change socks. Maybe it's a Class of '70 thing, since the Vancouver Canucks mirror their spastic brethren to the east in this respect. The Nucks have gone retro, too, only recently finding their way back to those true blue-and-green shades that got them through the seventies. Remember those god-awful, yellow-and-gold "V" jerseys from the eighties, then the blue-red-gray nineties versions used until a few seasons ago? I suppose the Canucks have made bigger fools of themselves with color-scheme/logo changes over the years, but Buffalo's a close second.

:P:D:wacko:

Padres, anyone?

Archived