Google Helmet Map

axlrush

Super cool.....nicely done. Definitely up my alley (love of maps, geography, and sports/logos, plus a wierd specific pleasure in seing sports teams plotted out on a map like that; which teams are super close, how the teams are distrubuted, how easy it'd be to go a road trip to multiple games/stadia.) I'll echo the request for other sports leagues. Endless fun.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it easy to do the mapping of the belmets (or logos in case) for the Google map? I would love to have a chance to make one like that..

After some reading and trial and error, I'd say it wasn't too bad to learn. The Google Maps API is what I used. There is a ton of documentation there. It helps if you already know some web programming, obviously. I use a MS Access database on the back end.

browns-sm.gifitaly.gif

Hey, man. It's awesome. Just a few things:

1. I'm surprised that you didn't first tackle the unaligned, but more famous teams. I was shocked to see that Army (our local team), wasn't on there. I think that you should add the service teams and Notre Dame next. A map of football teams seems odd without these high profile teams.

2. I'm guessing that the latest added team shows up in front. Is it possible, though, to change around the Miami teams? Given that it is the professional team, it seems that the Dolphins should get the frontmost spot over the Canes.

Besides that, it's great. Just would love to see other sports represented too, or at least one map with the four/five major sports.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hey, man. It's awesome. Just a few things:

1. I'm surprised that you didn't first tackle the unaligned, but more famous teams. I was shocked to see that Army (our local team), wasn't on there. I think that you should add the service teams and Notre Dame next. A map of football teams seems odd without these high profile teams.

2. I'm guessing that the latest added team shows up in front. Is it possible, though, to change around the Miami teams? Given that it is the professional team, it seems that the Dolphins should get the frontmost spot over the Canes.

Besides that, it's great. Just would love to see other sports represented too, or at least one map with the four/five major sports.

Thanks for the comments and compliments.

1. I started out with the NFL, then the Big 10, as those are my favorite leagues and conferences. It is by no means complete. I plan on doing all of FBS and FCS. I guess I am surprised that this surprises you, but to each their own. :)

2. That is actually not how it works. It seems pretty random, and I am still trying to figure out what lays upon what. I would like the NFL to lay over everything, yes.

browns-sm.gifitaly.gif

Awesome! It really puts traveling to away games into perspective...

Even though the MAC isn't on there (because honestly, who cares about the MAC) I've always wondered how Ohio's athletic department pays for the team to travel to play Wyoming every year. Heck.

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

I've actually had a national map like this for several years, but was in the process of updating it. One thing I did was add HTML code into the "pop-up" portion when you click on a particular team. From there you can add their win-loss records, championships, alternate logos, etc...

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Not sure if you are aware...Pac-10 is incomplete.

Missing UW, Wash. St., USC, Stanford, Cal

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Awesome! It really puts traveling to away games into perspective...

Even though the MAC isn't on there (because honestly, who cares about the MAC) I've always wondered how Ohio's athletic department pays for the team to travel to play Wyoming every year. Heck.

MAC is coming! And thanks!

browns-sm.gifitaly.gif

Great resource...thanks for getting this on the boards axl.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, you should add Utah soon, since they will be in the Pac 12 Next year.

Definitely. I'm going to leave everything as reflected in 2010 for now. Before next season, I will change everything for the new alignments.

Thanks!!

browns-sm.gifitaly.gif

• 10 months later...

Archived