2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

I might drop my dream of Dwight Howard in purple and gold in 2012

Dwight Howard will be playing in LA in 2012, but he'll be wearing red, white, and blue while doing it. :P

In all seriousness, the Lakers don't need Dwight Howard anyway, especially considering how their last attempt at a superteam went.

Yeah, but I think this would work out better than the last attempt. You'd let Dwight be the true center in the middle for defense/rebounding/dunking, and you have Pau playing more comfortably (aka less physically) at the power forward spot for jumpers and screens and the like, etc.

And really, Dwight is really second on the list of needs the Lakers will have then (like I said, if they need him in relation to Bynum). They are going to need a point guard here next year or the year after. As much as I love D-Fish, he's near the end of the rope. Just like the Knicks will go after CP3 or D-Will in 2012, I could see the Lakers doing the same and one of each ending up in LA or NY. I don't even know if the Lakers need a superstar point guard as much as they need an efficient one. If you look at the Lakers recent titles, I don't know if you'd put Fisher or AC Green in the same skillset/talent level of Paul or Williams. So who knows where they go when that comes about.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might drop my dream of Dwight Howard in purple and gold in 2012

Dwight Howard will be playing in LA in 2012, but he'll be wearing red, white, and blue while doing it. :P

so where will Blake be playing in 2012? Or are the Clips gonna use all there cap space on 2 centers?!? :P

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That just says it all about the team we had in the Brand/Kaman/Maggette years. I still don't like Elton Brand because of how he backstabbed the Clippers a couple years ago, but that was a very generous and great thing for those three (and Jaric) to do. Good on them.

As for Sterling, well, he's an :censored: of the highest order and a miserable excuse for a human being. What else is there to say that hasn't been said a million times already?

so where will Blake be playing in 2012? Or are the Clips gonna use all there cap space on 2 centers?!? :P

First of all, Blake's a power forward, not a center. Second of all, the Clips would go into the luxury tax if they somehow signed Dwight Howard, but I doubt Sterling would mind considering the increased ticket and merchandise sales would more than recoup his luxury-tax losses.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don't even know if the Lakers need a superstar point guard as much as they need an efficient one. If you look at the Lakers recent titles, I don't know if you'd put Fisher or AC Green in the same skillset/talent level of Paul or Williams.

Contention #1: In what sense was Derek Fisher ever an efficient point guard? At his best, he was competent on both ends with a knack for hitting the big shot.

Contention #2: Whenever Kobe Bryant decides to hang up the kicks, it will no longer be adequate to have a merely competent point guard running the show. Most high-scoring two-guards have not had an elite point guard in the same backcourt. Since it's extremely likely that KB's replacement at the two will be a lot less productive, the Lakers will have to do better than "Derek Fisher II"

Contention #3: It's not even a question - Derek Fisher and AC Green were never in the same talent class as CP3 or Deron Williams.

Contention #4: AC Green was a point guard?

I don't even know if the Lakers need a superstar point guard as much as they need an efficient one. If you look at the Lakers recent titles, I don't know if you'd put Fisher or AC Green in the same skillset/talent level of Paul or Williams.

Contention #1: In what sense was Derek Fisher ever an efficient point guard? At his best, he was competent on both ends with a knack for hitting the big shot.

Contention #2: Whenever Kobe Bryant decides to hang up the kicks, it will no longer be adequate to have a merely competent point guard running the show. Most high-scoring two-guards have not had an elite point guard in the same backcourt. Since it's extremely likely that KB's replacement at the two will be a lot less productive, the Lakers will have to do better than "Derek Fisher II"

Contention #3: It's not even a question - Derek Fisher and AC Green were never in the same talent class as CP3 or Deron Williams.

Contention #4: AC Green was a point guard?

1) Efficient in that he was competant at both ends. Got the ball to Kobe/Shaq/Pau in the confines of the triangle. And hit the big shot.

2) Kobe's going to be there for a lot longer. And I agree with your points, but that also depends on what happens between then and now. After Phil leaves, Kobe is going to want to have either Brian Shaw or Frank Hamblen (maybe even Kurt Rambis to leave Minnesota) to keep the triangle offense in place. And once Kobe does begin to break down, the Lakers are going to have to build around another #1 scoring option, which is why I'd like to have a Chris Paul or even Dwight Howard to start the transition to the post-Kobe Lakers. Depending on the direction they go will dictate what kind of point guard they get, because we know the Lakers aren't going to be apt to drafting/developing their own talent for the most part. They are going to sign a big name sometime in the next 4-5 years to be the post-Kobe star.

3) It was more of a rhetorical thing

4) Yeah woops. My bad. Don't know why I thought that. I couldn't remember if D-Fish was the starting point guard for the entirety of the Kobe-Lakers first threepeat. And AC was the first player that came into my head. Obviously completely wrong.

we know the Lakers aren't going to be apt to drafting/developing their own talent for the most part.

Why couldn't they do that? The Lakers developed Kobe, after all.

Kobe wasn't their draft pick though, and we can probably agree that the Lakers fleeced the Hornets here. I know that Lakers are the only team he's played for, but Kobe was also that high level talent. Kobe was probably going to be good no matter where he went. And obviously, Phil Jackson had a big hand in his development to bring out his absolute best, but Kobe would have been good had he stayed in Charlotte as well, I think.

And besides Kobe and Fisher, who else have the Lakers reallydrafted and/or developed in that time? As of now, Bynum is really the only guy, and he (like Fisher) is a good complementary part. The Lakers aren't going to be in the position to draft a top-talent guy, and most people aren't going to trade that top talent for a Vlade Divac-type trade like the Lakers did anymore.

Just looking at what the NBA landscape looks like now and what it should be in those next few years, the Lakers are probably going to have to go out and buy their next centerpiece (either in Free Agency or a trade).

Don't look now, or do look now because it's pretty damn awesome, but the Chicago Bulls are the number one seed in the East. WOW

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

That's just because I'm used to losing. :D

Seriously, though, you'd think a fan of the Knicks of all teams wouldn't be ready to hop off the bandwagon just because they're struggling now, especially after the past few years. They're still a damn sight better at the moment than when Isiah ran the team.

Don't look now, or do look now because it's pretty damn awesome, but the Chicago Bulls are the number one seed in the East. WOW

See what replacing Vinny with a real coach can do? Sterling and Olshey should be watching the Bulls right now.

xLmjWVv.png

That's just because I'm used to losing. :D

Seriously, though, you'd think a fan of the Knicks of all teams wouldn't be ready to hop off the bandwagon because they're struggling now. They're still a damn sight better at the moment than when Isiah ran the team.

Consider the fan we're talking about here.

BB52Big.jpg

True. It's a damn shame, too. Melo and Amar'e are wasted on fans like him. I would have been thrilled if either of those guys went to the Clippers, but he complains after every loss that he "just doesn't like this team" and prepares to jump off the bandwagon. Really dude? I don't think he realizes how many teams would kill to have a starting lineup like the Knicks' right now. I'm not even talking about the dysfunctional, horrible franchises like the Cavs or Raptors. I'm talking about the "treadmill of mediocrity" teams - the Hawks/Pacers/Sixers/Bobcats/etc. - who are always decent but heartbreakingly never good enough. You don't think those fans would love a team like the Knicks have? I'm all for criticizing your team when necessary but damn, this guy takes it to another level - and he always manages to do it in one sentence or less.

xLmjWVv.png

True. It's a damn shame, too. Melo and Amar'e are wasted on fans like him. I would have been thrilled if either of those guys went to the Clippers, but he complains after every loss that he "just doesn't like this team" and prepares to jump off the bandwagon. Really dude? I don't think he realizes how many teams would kill to have a starting lineup like the Knicks' right now. I'm not even talking about the dysfunctional, horrible franchises like the Cavs or Raptors. I'm talking about the "treadmill of mediocrity" teams - the Hawks/Pacers/Sixers/Bobcats/etc. - who are always decent but heartbreakingly never good enough. You don't think those fans would love a team like the Knicks have? I'm all for criticizing your team when necessary but damn, this guy takes it to another level - and he always manages to do it in one sentence or less.

Efficiency is important.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

See what replacing Vinny with a real coach can do? Sterling and Olshey should be watching the Bulls right now.

Yes, I do see. I noticed a while ago. I believe this is a good time for the "I (but mostly Admiral) told you so" clause to be put into effect. Also, adding Carlos Boozer, Ronnie Brewer, Kyle Korver, CJ Watson, Big Sexy, and Scalabrine didn't hurt either.

By the way, has Vinny of the Black run out of timeouts before halftime yet? Also, has he fought your GM yet? It's what got him out of Chicago

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Typical. T-minus 1 hour until Lights Out comes on trying to defend his clippers. :P

At least he doesn't bail on his team if they lose a game.

Please stop picking on me.

Bro, I like the fact that your a Cowboys fan (because I am as well) but if you can't handle the heat, then don't put yourself out there man.

I agree with Lights Out, just because you have 1,000+ posts doesn't automatically give you respect. You have to earn it through what you say. Like that famous saying, quality over quantity.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

And believe me, if anyone would know that, it would be me. You think you take a lot of :censored:, but I had most of the CCSLC hating my guts for months. Then I took a short break from the forums, started listening to people's criticisms of me, stopped doing things that annoy people, and now I don't get as much :censored: from people anymore. It's as simple as that.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived