2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

That just doesn't happen in the NBA, though. You need two stars and a solid supporting cast to win a title these days (prime example: Kobe and Pau's Lakers). Three stars with an awful supporting cast is too top-heavy.

Seems reasonable enough. Now try telling that to three quarters of the people in this thread. These people think Zydrunas Ilgauskas is a more than viable option at center and that the Heat have a fine supporting cast. What cracks me up is that when anyone refers to how good the Heat bench is, the statement always starts with "well (insert hack here) was a great player for (insert team).

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if the gap weren't so big, the Heat might play 5 man ball, and not 3 man ball, down the stretch?

But it's not an ego gap, it's a talent gap. Trying to play 5 man ball with that roster down the stretch would be an even bigger liability than playing 3 man ball.

But are they THAT bad? Or are they just not being given the respect they deserve by the organisation. Case in point, Mike Miller, career PPG 13.4, 2010-11 PPG 6.1, fair enough he's been injured for some of the season, but thats a big drop off. (In fairness he has played 11 minutes per game less as well!) But the supporting cast is hardly the dregs of the NBA. Only three of them have less than 7 years NBA experience, you've got guys like Juwon Howard, Jamal Maglorie with valuable experience. It really shouldn't just be about James, Wade and Bosh.

People should stop treating the supporting cast like they are nobodies. There's some decent players there, and they should, as a group, be capable of closing out wins.

Who gives a rip how long these guys have played? Look at them. You're giving me Juwan Howard and Jamaal Magloire? These guys are not serviceable NBA backups anymore. Neither is Z. Sure, they were valuable role players a few/several years ago, but come on man, y'all are killing me in this thread. It's about right now, not about last year and damn sure not what they did in their "primes." When this becomes a lifetime achievement award, we can talk about respecting someone because they have X years of experience. Most of these guys can't play dead, let alone play basketball. I think Haslem is a good "glue" guy type of role player, but go somewhere with that Mike Miller/Juwan Howard/Jamaal Magloire :censored:. If you think these cats are any good, I'd love to get my hands on the stuff you're smoking. Or I'd at least like to know what games you're watching. I could link you to some video from 2011 if you'd like to see it.

For sure those guys aren't what they were, but are you telling me you can lose the ability to shoot, for sure you might lose speed and moves, but you can still put a ball through the ring. They are guys who can still contribute, even if they aren't leading the team. My point isn't that they should be leading, but they could play more of a role and be more respected by whoever is deciding how the Heat should be playing. Thats my point. Its the Heat who've made themselves into a 3 man line up, by not using the other guys. Plenty of championship teams, in all manner of sports, have had a roster filled with veterans cast off by other teams, backing up a few stars.

I get what you're saying, and I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but hell yes you can lose the ability to shoot! Skills most certainly can be lost. While plenty of championships have had cast-offs play huge roles, the difference is that they didn't have an entire bench full of table scraps. Do you realize how they got the vast majority of their team? Depending on the mid-level exceptions and begging dudes to take the veteran minimum. Yeah, you're really building a strong core of role players and a deep bench like that, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

That just doesn't happen in the NBA, though. You need two stars and a solid supporting cast to win a title these days (prime example: Kobe and Pau's Lakers). Three stars with an awful supporting cast is too top-heavy.

Seems reasonable enough. Now try telling that to three quarters of the people in this thread. These people think Zydrunas Ilgauskas is a more than viable option at center and that the Heat have a fine supporting cast. What cracks me up is that when anyone refers to how good the Heat bench is, the statement always starts with "well (insert hack here) was a great player for (insert team).

My point isn't that they are good, but they aren't being given the chance to be good. They are treated, as much by the organisation as anyone else, as if they are bench warmers not worthy of the gig.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

My point isn't that they are good, but they aren't being given the chance to be good. They are treated, as much by the organisation as anyone else, as if they are bench warmers not worthy of the gig.

They get playing time...that's their chance to be good. It's just that most of these suckers are bench warmers not worthy of the gig. That's what I'm trying to get across. It's not the fault of the Big 2+1 the other guys can't play. (Though you could say it's their fault the team can't afford better players, that's somewhat fair).

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

They aren't good. Period. It's probably why they "aren't given the chance to be good." They got the gig because they work cheap.

You argue just to argue don't you?

BB52Big.jpg

Yes he does. Why else would he enjoy lecturing Americans on their own political system?

Wait and see, he simply will not let go of this argument over the Heat's bench players. The entire Heat roster with the exception of Wade, James, and Bosh could become members here tomorrow, personally post they are not very good, and he'd still argue that they're wrong about themselves.

BB52Big.jpg

All I am saying is that with an experienced roster these guys shouldn't panic down the stretch, why not occasionally throw the bluff and give the ball to someone other than James, Wade or Bosh? If you don't try it in regular season play, you've know idea what could happen cone the playoffs. And clearly what they do know isn't working all that well in clutch situations.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

My point isn't that they are good, but they aren't being given the chance to be good. They are treated, as much by the organization as anyone else, as if they are bench warmers not worthy of the gig.

They get playing time...that's their chance to be good. It's just that most of these suckers are bench warmers not worthy of the gig. That's what I'm trying to get across. It's not the fault of the Big 2+1 the other guys can't play. (Though you could say it's their fault the team can't afford better players, that's somewhat fair).

What the Miami Heat have become is less talent and is more about randomness.

The NBA is regular season is still too much small a sample size pool to tell me that they can fail in the playoffs. They may fail this year in the semis, but the Heat are not in the financial case of the Knicks since NYK have two players with MAX salaries under the current salary cap and the Heat have three of the 15 best NBA players players who do not have MAX salaries.

If MIA has #1 (James), #4 (Wade), and #16 (Bosh) under contract for less money than what the Knicks can do with the new CBA, how can the Knicks with Amare and Melo with MAX deals compete?

Good point on mike and mike this morning, discussing how the heat after the big 3 has a bunch of shooters who are used to taking 10, 15 shots a game. Now that they're put into playing a role where they'll get maybe 4 shots a game and they're expected to make all of them.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think Spoelstra was the one crying. He knows Riles is coming down to the bench once this team is good enough to contend for rings.

Not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven...

LeBron James isn't going to win eight championships.

No No No... Coach "Spo" is out... Coach "Slo" is in.

...wait a minute.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

kobeatphilipsstorea_large.jpg

I hate my city.

Really. They aren't even one of the 10 biggest pro sports franchises in the country.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I hate my city.

Really. They aren't even one of the 10 biggest pro sports franchises in the country.

I had no idea what you were talking about until I ventured over into the Anaheim Kings thread. Holy crap, that thread got really bad really quickly. :wacko:

Also, more on this. Word on the street is that the arena sold Knicks stuff on Sunday. I don't blame the owners at all since those fans are going to buy it like hotcakes & a wise man once said that

, but wow.

I hate my city.

I had no idea what you were talking about until I ventured over into the Anaheim Kings thread. Holy crap, that thread got really bad really quickly. :wacko:

Also, more on this. Word on the street is that the arena sold Knicks stuff on Sunday. I don't blame the owners at all since those fans are going to buy it like hotcakes & a wise man once said that

, but wow.

Dolla'... Dolla'... Bills... Ya'll.

kenny-powers-dolla-dolla-bills-o.gif

IUe6Hvh.png

I hate my city.

, but wow.

I mean we have that in New York too. You go into any sporting store and you'll see a Kobe, Wade, or Lebron jersey somewhere hanging up. I'm not disagreeing, but that's not only in small markets.

The United Center sells Bulls and Blackhawks apparel only. Maybe we're doing it wrong. Then again, the building sells out every game.

EDIT: Shake and Bake said it best:

?In the arena? Are you serious? Unbelievable,? Jamal Crawford said.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I hate my city.

, but wow.

I mean we have that in New York too. You go into any sporting store and you'll see a Kobe, Wade, or Lebron jersey somewhere hanging up. I'm not disagreeing, but that's not only in small markets.

Do you see those jerseys for sale at the Knicks clubhouse in Madison Square Garden, though?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived