2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

LeCHOKE does it again! Once again, coming up clutch!

Spoelstra said some Heat players are crying in the locker room at the moment.

This is what I don't get about Miami. Its obvious they care. Bosh looked genuinely upset when they lost against Orlando the other week. How can the Heat not win some of these games. How much faith and patience have the Heat and Pat Riley got in Spoelstra, because it seems that the rest of basketball has absolutely no faith in him. Its not just down to the players, the coaching has to take the blame at some point.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I don't get about Miami. Its obvious they care. Bosh looked genuinely upset when they lost against Orlando the other week. How can the Heat not win some of these games. How much faith and patience have the Heat and Pat Riley got in Spoelstra, because it seems that the rest of basketball has absolutely no faith in him. Its not just down to the players, the coaching has to take the blame at some point.

Once again, aside from the Big 3, it's a ragtag band. This team signed Mike Bibby as the solution to their PG issues. The same Mike Bibby who was basically the reason why no backcourt in the league took the Hawks' defense seriously, and they picked him up as "the missing piece."

Plus, they just don't have that killer instinct that teams like the Spurs (though not today :lol:), Lakers, & Celtics have. LeBron's never been too much of a clutch player, Chris Bosh was the alpha dog in Toronto by default, and apparently it's rubbing off on Wade. The Heat still have time to straighten their ship out, but more & more, it's looking like this team is nowhere near as good as we all pegged them to be in the preseason.

That being said, I really hope Spo was being literal when he said that there were some Heat players crying in the locker room. If that was an actual literal description of their reaction to the L, that is just RICH.

Once again, aside from the Big 3, it's a ragtag band.

Exactly. I said the same thing a while back in this thread and I was met with "they have (insert hack off the bench here) who did really well for (insert hack's former team here). Maybe they'll listen to you. :D

The Heat have three players and a bunch of Mike Bibby's folks. They are not going to be able to beat the top tier teams with the roster they have. Get used to the idea. And Firing Spoelstra isn't going to solve anything. The Heat simply don't have the personnel to compete the Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, etc. Go back to when LeBron signed with the Heat; all the talk was it was probably going to be a year or two before they could seriously challenge for a title.

The troubles the Heat are experiencing having should not be be terribly surprising.

BB52Big.jpg

The Heat have shot 1-15 in the last 10 seconds of tight games. Haven't beat the Bulls. Haven't beat the Celtics. Lost their one game against the new Knicks.

They are far from being a great team. Far from winning a championship. And wayyyy far from being dominant.

----

And in the other game...

HELLOOOOOOOO LAKE SHOW!

It's about damn time.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I said all July, August and September that the Heat were not going to live up to the hype due to lack of depth, and they have yet to prove me wrong. The Heat would have been better off with a Big Two and a solid supporting cast, or better yet, taking the lead of the Spurs/Thunder/Clippers and building through the draft instead.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Exactly. I said the same thing a while back in this thread and I was met with "they have (insert hack off the bench here) who did really well for (insert hack's former team here). Maybe they'll listen to you. :D

The Heat have three players and a bunch of Mike Bibby's folks. They are not going to be able to beat the top tier teams with the roster they have. Get used to the idea. And Firing Spoelstra isn't going to solve anything. The Heat simply don't have the personnel to compete the Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, etc. Go back to when LeBron signed with the Heat; all the talk was it was probably going to be a year or two before they could seriously challenge for a title.

The troubles the Heat are experiencing having should not be be terribly surprising.

But when a team is losing so many close games, you have to look to the coach, IMHO. If they were losing by 10 points a time, you could make a case that its the lack of depth, but if you're getting into a place where you can win games, and blowing that, you can't blame the lack of depth, you could blame the big 3, and they should take there share of the blame, but if it comes down to Spoelstra or the big 3, who is going first?

What the Heat desperately need, IMHO, is a coach the players will respect. Either someone with a decent resume, or a guy who has played to a decent level in the NBA and is just starting out (Those are the types of guys big name players like Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh respect). Personally I doubt that will happen before the end of the season, but the Heat won't win the big games with Spoelstra on the sidelines.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

But when a team is losing so many close games, you have to look to the coach, IMHO. If they were losing by 10 points a time, you could make a case that its the lack of depth, but if you're getting into a place where you can win games, and blowing that, you can't blame the lack of depth, you could blame the big 3, and they should take there share of the blame, but if it comes down to Spoelstra or the big 3, who is going first?

What the Heat desperately need, IMHO, is a coach the players will respect. Either someone with a decent resume, or a guy who has played to a decent level in the NBA and is just starting out (Those are the types of guys big name players like Lebron, D-Wade and Bosh respect). Personally I doubt that will happen before the end of the season, but the Heat won't win the big games with Spoelstra on the sidelines.

I think I may agree with the issue concerning the coach. In situations where they're CLEARLY the better team (against teams under .500), they're 29-2. Against anybody who's any sort of good, they're 14-18. Plus, it's obvious that there's some sort of issues with the X-&-O's when in the Orlando situation, they had BOSH take the 3, then LeBron. Still, even if they did have a better coach, they're still not going to get far in the playoffs with that current roster because it's not at all deep. That's becoming the difference between a legit title contender & a pretender: How deep the team is.

But, just like the coaching situation, that's not going to get fixed by the playoffs, either. Until that's rectified, unless this team gets really hot soon (no pun intended), they probably won't win the title.

Problem is, the stars of the team aren't always going to be the ones who are called upon in crunch time. The Heat lack a guy like Robert Horry or Derek Fisher who can turn it on in the fourth quarter, and they can't afford someone like that.

Exactly. You can't coach "we need someone other than Wade or LeBron to go to." Everyone in the building knows that the Heat have limited option come crunch time. It's basically five on three at that point so it's pretty easy to set up a defense. If they had an Horry/Fisher type to go to it changes the whole dynamic in a close game. As it stands right now, every team knows the Heat aren't going to a Mike Bibby or a Mario Chalmers in crunch time so it's like having two extra defenders on the floor. If Saintsfan has a coaching solution for that problem, I'd love to hear it.

BB52Big.jpg

The Heat lack a guy like Robert Horry or Derek Fisher who can turn it on in the fourth quarter, and they can't afford someone like that.

Guys like Horry or Fisher are quite affordable. They're just hard to find. They are (or were) they type of players who are limited in some way, but take advantage of the system they play in. They have hit big shots because they are open at the end of games. When the Heat decide which one of their Big Two plus Bosh is the end of game option, and they run their system effectively, someone (like Mario Chalmers, for instance) will be open for those shots.

For at last the last 8 years, the Celtics' go-to last-second play for any quarter is Paul Pierce Isolation. That goes for both before and after the Big Three formed. Everyone in the building knows it's coming, and unless they need a 3, that's the play they call about 90% of the time (sometimes they set a pick for Ray and give it to him).

The Celtics have never been terrible at closing games, even when everyone knows it's coming, and even when there has never been a Robert Horry on the team. Let's all calm down with the "I knew the Heat would suck" and "They need a new coach/mediocre clutch player" chants. We are all reading into waaaaaaay too little data to jump to these conclusions. At least wait until the playoffs, because you truly cannot simplify everything this easily and this early on. I, for one, would be perfectly happy giving Dwyane Wade the ball when time's running out and getting the hell out of the way. The Heat aren't stupid or bad and I promise you they will not just go down with a whimper at the end of every close game.

At least wait until the playoffs, because you truly cannot simplify everything this easily and this early on. I, for one, would be perfectly happy giving Dwyane Wade the ball when time's running out and getting the hell out of the way. The Heat aren't stupid or bad and I promise you they will not just go down with a whimper at the end of every close game.

Agreed with the bolded part.. Despite the fact that I said that LeBron & Bosh's un-clutchness have been rubbing off on him, he is still one of the best in the world when it comes to late situations. If anything, I'm shocked that he hasn't been getting the ball MORE in that situation, and that's where I get to the point where the Heat are dumb. If they're letting Bosh & LeBron take 3s in attempts to win games instead of guys who can actually hit that shot with some sort of regularity, then what the hell is going on?

Also, unless the Heat run the table from this point on, last year's Cavs will have a better record.

At least wait until the playoffs, because you truly cannot simplify everything this easily and this early on. I, for one, would be perfectly happy giving Dwyane Wade the ball when time's running out and getting the hell out of the way. The Heat aren't stupid or bad and I promise you they will not just go down with a whimper at the end of every close game.

Agreed with the bolded part.. Despite the fact that I said that LeBron & Bosh's un-clutchness have been rubbing off on him, he is still one of the best in the world when it comes to late situations. If anything, I'm shocked that he hasn't been getting the ball MORE in that situation, and that's where I get to the point where the Heat are dumb. If they're letting Bosh & LeBron take 3s in attempts to win games instead of guys who can actually hit that shot with some sort of regularity, then what the hell is going on?

Also, unless the Heat run the table from this point on, last year's Cavs will have a better record.

Well that's why I said wait for the playoffs. I think it's too early too call them dumb. With LeBron, you have the best player in the world, why not let him try to win some games? With Bosh, I have no explanation, but maybe they think he is Robert Horry reincarnated or something. Either way, I think they understand that they would be better served treating the regular season as a time to gel as a team and work out everyone's role instead of treating every game as life-or-death. It really doesn't matter that much whether you're the 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed in the end. What does matter is that you can bring it in the playoffs. If Bosh takes any last-second 3s in the playoffs, though, I will agree with you.

Archived