2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that most spanish speaking people when talking about basketball don't say:¿Viste el calor jugar las espuelas?

Rather they say: ¿Viste el Heat jugar las Spurs?

If someone who speaks spanish and talks to his friends about the NBA can post some insight...

I don't speak much Spanish, and I sure don't talk about the NBA to my friends using it, but I don't believe that in another language you change a proper name like that. It would still be Heat and Spurs. Not entirely sure, but I think you're right.

You guys are right, and as already had been confirmed somewhere around these boards earlier, in other languages people do refer to them using their English names, in Spanish adding the article, for example.

In the same way that English speaking people refer to Real Madrid, rather than Royal MDrid, for example.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that most spanish speaking people when talking about basketball don't say:¿Viste el calor jugar las espuelas?

Rather they say: ¿Viste el Heat jugar las Spurs?

If someone who speaks spanish and talks to his friends about the NBA can post some insight...

I don't speak much Spanish, and I sure don't talk about the NBA to my friends using it, but I don't believe that in another language you change a proper name like that. It would still be Heat and Spurs. Not entirely sure, but I think you're right.

You guys are right, and as already had been confirmed somewhere around these boards earlier, in other languages people do refer to them using their English names, in Spanish adding the article, for example.

In the same way that English speaking people refer to Real Madrid, rather than Royal MDrid, for example.

I can confirm that in French all the NHL teams are refered to by their English name except the Canadiens and Senators.

1zqy8ok.gif

Watching "El Heat" vs. "Los Spurs"...WHERE DO THEY GET THEIR ESPANOL FROM?

It should be "Calor" vs. "Espuelas"!

Is simply adding "the" in Spanish to the jerseys just a tad insulting to the people the NBA wanted to acknowledge in the first place? I don't know, it just seems a little condescending to me.

I think that after their last game the Heat should change their jerseys from "El Heat" to "Somos Una Porquería" as that would be much more fitting.

What does everyone think about the second London game going into triple OT?

I thought it was pretty entertaining and probably looked good for the fans at the game and on TV (were the games shown on British cable?) It would be really interesting to watch at the game as two teams go into triple OT where you have basically no idea who is whom and probably no real preference on who wins. They looked pretty into it at the end though, despite no real home court advantage for either team.

I could see the Brits liking the Raptors though, just cause their Canadian.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

Here's what I think. I think NBA TV is run by a bunch of f-ing idiots. I tune in at 8pm to watch that game. The broadcast is just getting started. They open with a shot of what I'm assuming was the area around O2. I'm thinking it's going to be cool to see the turnout and fan reactions etc. Then lo and behold and what do I see staring back at me on the score scroll at the bottom of the screen? NJ 137 TOR 136 3/OT. So much for that plan. Maybe it's just me, and I do work in TV after all, but I'm thinking that if you want people to tune in and watch a tape delayed or repeat of a basketball game, you might want to make sure they don't see the final score of said game ten seconds into the broadcast.

I ended up playing MLB 10 The Show and half watching Florida beat the :censored: out of the Red Sox on MLB Network on my "secondary" TV; which I thoroughly enjoyed. Who cares that it didn't count? It was the Red Sox getting their asses beat. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Here's what I think. I think NBA TV is run by a bunch of f-ing idiots. I tune in at 8pm to watch that game. The broadcast is just getting started. They open with a shot of what I'm assuming was the area around O2. I'm thinking it's going to be cool to see the turnout and fan reactions etc. Then lo and behold and what do I see staring back at me on the score scroll at the bottom of the screen? NJ 137 TOR 136 3/OT. So much for that plan. Maybe it's just me, and I do work in TV after all, but I'm thinking that if you want people to tune in and watch a tape delayed or repeat of a basketball game, you might want to make sure they don't see the final score of said game ten seconds into the broadcast.

I ended up playing MLB 10 The Show and half watching Florida beat the :censored: out of the Red Sox on MLB Network on my "secondary" TV; which I thoroughly enjoyed. Who cares that it didn't count? It was the Red Sox getting their asses beat. :D

ESPN does that as well, they'll show a highlight of a game, and 3 seconds into it flash the score on the bottom.

Nice win over a good Nuggets team by the Clippers, but I'm just about done with this season as Gordon got hurt again. Pretty sad that basically every Clippers game has devolved into opposing players blatantly trying to hurt ours, Bruce Bowen-style, with the refs swallowing their whistles pretty much every time.

Granted, this should be a wakeup call that this team needs to stop being so damn soft and actually stick up for each other on the court for once.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I thought it was pretty entertaining and probably looked good for the fans at the game and on TV (were the games shown on British cable?) It would be really interesting to watch at the game as two teams go into triple OT where you have basically no idea who is whom and probably no real preference on who wins. They looked pretty into it at the end though, despite no real home court advantage for either team.

I could see the Brits liking the Raptors though, just cause their Canadian.

The first game was shown live, I think the second must have been a delayed broadcast as it started at 10:30 at night.

I don't think being Canadian, as opposed to American would really move many Brits to cheer for the Raptors. I'd imagine most Brits would have been pretty much neutral.

Be nice to see the NBA give us a couple of better teams next time!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think that after their last game the Heat should change their jerseys from "El Heat" to "Somos Una Porquería" as that would be much more fitting.

Alguien está amargado. :rolleyes:

¿Por qué iba yo a ser amargo, ya que los Spurs ganaron por 30? Mi equipo se encamina a los playoffs, y el tuyo? (Lights Out)

I agree, Infrared. I too was going to watch that game (tuned in the 2nd Quarter, and they still didn't get it fixed), but then I saw the score and decided to play Backbreaker (fun game) and a couple other games as a result. I remember back in the early 2000's when NBA TV would not only stop their scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen during the game and their highlights show, but actually have decent original programming and even play some of those classic games. It was a lot more watchable of a channel then than it is now, and it seems that despite becoming the first league to start their own network here, it's turned into the worst by far.

Mi equipo se encamina a los playoffs, y el tuyo?

¿Cuál equipo? Tienes veinte "equipos" que apoyas.

Y tú estas amargado porque, como muchos de los odiadores del Heat, te gusta creer que un equipo con un récord de 43-19 es "porquería," porque no te gusta LeBron.

(Sorry, everyone else. I know a lot of Spanish and finally have an excuse to use it on here. :P )

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Mi equipo se encamina a los playoffs, y el tuyo?

¿Cuál equipo? Tienes veinte "equipos" que apoyas.

Y tú estas amargado porque, como muchos de los odiadores del Heat, te gusta creer que un equipo con un récord de 43-19 es "porquería," porque no te gusta LeBron.

(Sorry, everyone else. I know a lot of Spanish and finally have an excuse to use it on here. :P )

To quote you earlier...

1687126-i_ain_t_even_mad_super.jpg

I'm actually enjoying this.

So, Kevin Love hit the 50 consecutive double-doubles mark.

However, the T-Puppies are only 11-39 during the streak.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Yeah, which is a shame such a tremendous season is going to be overlooked when this year has finally concluded. If the T-Pups can actually get some good backcourt play from the 20 guards they've drafted, and stop trading away good players (Ty Lawson in particular) they actually might have a decent team in the years to come.

I believe the last time that was done, it was by Moses Malone, if I'm not mistaken.

Archived