2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that mean I'm allowed to pick up where I left off with the Lakers in 1991 without being called a frontrunner? B)

While we're on the subject, I'm looking for a team to "call my own" and it would seem the Lakers have to be in the running. Allow me to present my case (or dilemma I guess) with the Lakers.

I became a Lakers fan in 1975 when Kareem was traded there. (I was a Bucks fan before that) For the next 16 years I was a diehard Lakers fan. After Magic retired in 1991 I drifted away from following the NBA closely enough to really claim a "favorite" team. Buy the mid 90's I was paying no attention to the NBA. Last season I started following the NBA again but I am now a fan without a team. I'd like to "have a team" again. Since I already have in 16 years with the Lakers, I suppose it makes the most sense to just pick up where I left off. Despite the fact that I've probably got in more time as a Lakers fan than most of the current Lakers fans around here, I'm not crazy about the idea of "becoming a fan" of the back to back NBA champions. No one wants to be labeled a front runner. (just ask Drakonius :D )

Since rejoining the Lakers will likely be considered front running, I've been looking at some other teams too.

The Knicks: I think it would be cool to be a Knicks fan. I've always liked their uniforms (the traditional ones), I owned a pair of Puma "Clydes" when I was a kid (Walt Frazier's shoes for those of you too young to know what i'm talking about), and I did live in the state of New York (Syracuse) for seven years.

The Bulls: I really enjoyed watching the Bulls when they played Miami the other night, I really got a kick out of that Noah kid, and they have great uniforms.

So those are the three teams I'm interested in. I'll gladly entertain offers from other fan bases. (Except the Celtics. Even though I may not end up back with the Lakers, I still have to honor the fact that I hated the Celtics with an irrational passion for the entire decade of the 80's.)

Odds are that, since I'm from Ohio, someone is going to bring up the Cavs. Here's the thing, even though I'm from Ohio, I've never been interested in being a Cavs fan. After that pathetic display in July there's simply no way in Hell I'm aligning myself with that group. Being a Browns fan is bad enough.

Judges?

Really? Coming from the fan who has 22 favorite teams, and wants to become a Laker fan now?

Become a Lakers fan? Let me tell you something junior, I was a Lakers fan way back when they weren't "THE LAKERS." Back when "Showtime" was that little box on top of the TV. Back when their best forward was Cazzie Russell not James Worthy and the guy who wore number 42 was Lucius Allen. Back when the Dyan Cannon was the court side celebrity at the Forum. Back when Kermit Washington dropped Rudy T. Back when we hoped the Lakers were going to draft that kid from Michigan State. Back when Kareem's acting career consisted of an appearance on "Emergency!" with Randolph Mantooth.

I watched game 6 of the NBA Finals on tape delay. 11:30 pm on WTOL in Toledo Ohio.

I saw this :censored: live bitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2MeGsoxSk

I've earned the right to come back after stepping away for a while. So there. :P

Since you asked, I'll answer, but you did it yourself right here: You're a Lakers fan.

I'd welcome you to the Bulls fanbase, but you'll never have the kind of passion for them that you displayed for the Lakers above. You aren't jumping on a frontrunner's bandwagon. You never left. IMO, of course... since you asked.

Jesus, is there a bigger :censored:-ing tight ass on this board than Drakonius? The whole Lakers thing was just a big goof. Like I'd actually "state my case" and then seek the approval of everyone here before I "choose a team." Then this :censored: -ing guy starts laying down rules and telling me what I can and can't do as a fan. He then proceeds to point out how "weak my case" is. I'll give him credit though, his response made the whole thing ten times funnier than it ever should have been.

BB52Big.jpg

I really don't see how being opinionated or speaking your mind is really that big of a deal. That's who I am, and I'll admit that's one of my flaws. Plus, I didn't come here to kiss people's asses, be the most popular member, or flood the board with my concepts, and unlike most people (and I'm not singling out anyone in particular) I'm strictly being myself when I post here.

Very true, but his reasoning during the previous two posts were very weak. No real connection other than just watching them on television (tape-delay or otherwise). It doesn't matter what he calls me or how hard he beats his chest, he's basically just acting like LeBron James (in character only). Can't deal with losing and has to carpetbag onto another successful franchise just to feel like a winner. I personally don't hate Infrared, and was pretty much just taking some fun shots at him, but hey... at least come stronger than the whole "I watched them on television back in the day and always liked... *insert lame excuse here*."

At least I can say I've actually stuck by all my teams through thick and thin, choke-jobs and otherwise, regardless of how bad they are.

How about being a diehard fan for 17 years? As in reading every Lakers related thing I could get my hands on? Watching them every time they were on TV no matter when or who they were playing? Driving to the Silverdome in Detroit and freezing my ass off in the parking lot in hopes of getting a scalped ticket to a game that had been sold out for months? Sending money to a friend of mine who lived in LA so she could buy me Lakers hats, t-shirts, etc. because there wasn't any Lakers gear available in the heart of Pistons country? Or does any of that not count? I even read Kareem's books for God's sake.

I was a Lakers fan period. I lived and died (mostly lived after 1979) with those guys every bit as much as I ever have with the Browns. I didn't have a convenient "second favorite" NBA team to fall back on when they lost to Houston in '81 or when Doc and the Sixers swept them in '83. Or when they were getting bounced in the playoffs every season between '75 and '80. Or in 1989 when all they had was a past his prime Kareem and got smoked by the Pistons. How great it would have been to just say "Oh well, lucky for me I have another favorite team to fall back on. Go Celtics!" Despite the fact that I've tried to "grow up" and not take this nonsense seriously, I still hate the Celtics to this day.

On the matter of "convenience", has it occurred to you that my team won three straight NBA titles while I was on sabbatical? It wasn't like I walked away from a lousy team and came back as soon as they started winning again. The Lakers have won five titles in my "absence as a fan" so let's dispense with how easy it is for me to come back at this point. When I walked away from the Lakers they were coming off the NBA finals and five titles in the 80's. It's not like I jumped ship when things got bad. I simply jumped ship because the quality of play in the NBA had become insufferable.

This whole thing started as a goof but you actually made me remember just how big a Lakers fan I was. There won't be any debate. I was a Lakers fan then and I am a Lakers fan now. If there's any justice my Lakers will face one of your favorite teams in the playoffs this year. (Odds are they will since you're a fan of just about everyone.)

You sir, and your four favorite teams in every league can kiss each and everyone of the five championships I enjoyed as a Lakers fan along with every bit of my ass.

BB52Big.jpg

I really don't see how being opinionated or speaking your mind is really that big of a deal. That's who I am, and I'll admit that's one of my flaws. Plus, I didn't come here to kiss people's asses, be the most popular member, or flood the board with my concepts, and unlike most people (and I'm not singling out anyone in particular) I'm strictly being myself when I post here.

For what it's worth, you're succeeding wildly.

That's really too bad.

BB52Big.jpg

Very true, but his reasoning during the previous two posts were very weak. No real connection other than just watching them on television (tape-delay or otherwise). It doesn't matter what he calls me or how hard he beats his chest, he's basically just acting like LeBron James (in character only). Can't deal with losing and has to carpetbag onto another successful franchise just to feel like a winner. I personally don't hate Infrared, and was pretty much just taking some fun shots at him, but hey... at least come stronger than the whole "I watched them on television back in the day and always liked... *insert lame excuse here*."

At least I can say I've actually stuck by all my teams through thick and thin, choke-jobs and otherwise, regardless of how bad they are.

How about being a diehard fan for 17 years? As in reading every Lakers related thing I could get my hands on? Watching them every time they were on TV no matter when or who they were playing? Driving to the Silverdome in Detroit and freezing my ass off in the parking lot in hopes of getting a scalped ticket to a game that had been sold out for months? Sending money to a friend of mine who lived in LA so she could buy me Lakers hats, t-shirts, etc. because there wasn't any Lakers gear available in the heart of Pistons country? Or does any of that not count? I even read Kareem's books for God's sake.

I was a Lakers fan period. I lived and died (mostly lived after 1979) with those guys every bit as much as I ever have with the Browns. I didn't have a convenient "second favorite" NBA team to fall back on when they lost to Houston in '81 or when Doc and the Sixers swept them in '83. Or when they were getting bounced in the playoffs every season between '75 and '80. Or in 1989 when all they had was a past his prime Kareem and got smoked by the Pistons. How great it would have been to just say "Oh well, lucky for me I have another favorite team to fall back on. Go Celtics!" Despite the fact that I've tried to "grow up" and not take this nonsense seriously, I still hate the Celtics to this day.

On the matter of "convenience", has it occurred to you that my team won three straight NBA titles while I was on sabbatical? It wasn't like I walked away from a lousy team and came back as soon as they started winning again. The Lakers have won five titles in my "absence as a fan" so let's dispense with how easy it is for me to come back at this point. When I walked away from the Lakers they were coming off the NBA finals and five titles in the 80's. It's not like I jumped ship when things got bad. I simply jumped ship because the quality of play in the NBA had become insufferable.

This whole thing started as a goof but you actually made me remember just how big a Lakers fan I was. There won't be any debate. I was a Lakers fan then and I am a Lakers fan now. If there's any justice my Lakers will face one of your favorite teams in the playoffs this year. (Odds are they will since you're a fan of just about everyone.)

You sir, and your four favorite teams in every league can kiss each and everyone of the five championships I enjoyed as a Lakers fan along with every bit of my ass.

This Clippers fan (and Laker hater) is applauding. Bravo... seriously, bravo.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, how am I supposed to know every detail of your life? I obviously wouldn't would I? Besides, if you're going to goof around constantly, how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously? I mean, for all I know, you could be posting nothing but crap here. I'll assume you're a Lakers fan, but I've never seen you put anything Laker-related in your profile, so how could I possibly know? That's right, I wouldn't know.

Plus, having multiple teams doesn't make you any less of a sports fan.

Does that mean I'm allowed to pick up where I left off with the Lakers in 1991 without being called a frontrunner? B)

While we're on the subject, I'm looking for a team to "call my own" and it would seem the Lakers have to be in the running. Allow me to present my case (or dilemma I guess) with the Lakers.

I became a Lakers fan in 1975 when Kareem was traded there. (I was a Bucks fan before that) For the next 16 years I was a diehard Lakers fan. After Magic retired in 1991 I drifted away from following the NBA closely enough to really claim a "favorite" team. Buy the mid 90's I was paying no attention to the NBA. Last season I started following the NBA again but I am now a fan without a team. I'd like to "have a team" again. Since I already have in 16 years with the Lakers, I suppose it makes the most sense to just pick up where I left off. Despite the fact that I've probably got in more time as a Lakers fan than most of the current Lakers fans around here, I'm not crazy about the idea of "becoming a fan" of the back to back NBA champions. No one wants to be labeled a front runner. (just ask Drakonius :D )

Since rejoining the Lakers will likely be considered front running, I've been looking at some other teams too.

The Knicks: I think it would be cool to be a Knicks fan. I've always liked their uniforms (the traditional ones), I owned a pair of Puma "Clydes" when I was a kid (Walt Frazier's shoes for those of you too young to know what i'm talking about), and I did live in the state of New York (Syracuse) for seven years.

The Bulls: I really enjoyed watching the Bulls when they played Miami the other night, I really got a kick out of that Noah kid, and they have great uniforms.

So those are the three teams I'm interested in. I'll gladly entertain offers from other fan bases. (Except the Celtics. Even though I may not end up back with the Lakers, I still have to honor the fact that I hated the Celtics with an irrational passion for the entire decade of the 80's.)

Odds are that, since I'm from Ohio, someone is going to bring up the Cavs. Here's the thing, even though I'm from Ohio, I've never been interested in being a Cavs fan. After that pathetic display in July there's simply no way in Hell I'm aligning myself with that group. Being a Browns fan is bad enough.

Judges?

Really? Coming from the fan who has 22 favorite teams, and wants to become a Laker fan now?

Become a Lakers fan? Let me tell you something junior, I was a Lakers fan way back when they weren't "THE LAKERS." Back when "Showtime" was that little box on top of the TV. Back when their best forward was Cazzie Russell not James Worthy and the guy who wore number 42 was Lucius Allen. Back when the Dyan Cannon was the court side celebrity at the Forum. Back when Kermit Washington dropped Rudy T. Back when we hoped the Lakers were going to draft that kid from Michigan State. Back when Kareem's acting career consisted of an appearance on "Emergency!" with Randolph Mantooth.

I watched game 6 of the NBA Finals on tape delay. 11:30 pm on WTOL in Toledo Ohio.

I saw this :censored: live bitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2MeGsoxSk

I've earned the right to come back after stepping away for a while. So there. :P

Since you asked, I'll answer, but you did it yourself right here: You're a Lakers fan.

I'd welcome you to the Bulls fanbase, but you'll never have the kind of passion for them that you displayed for the Lakers above. You aren't jumping on a frontrunner's bandwagon. You never left. IMO, of course... since you asked.

I know. As silly as this sounds, and it sounds silly, I realized that when I noticed how pissed I was getting when I was responding to Drakonius. It's embarrassing actually. Anyway... Go Lakers. B)

BB52Big.jpg

You have to change your subtitle to "Basically Just Like LeBron James."

Just to show you how much I respect your work around here (a reference to our baseball argument a while back) I'm going to change it now.

BB52Big.jpg

Jesus, is there a bigger :censored:-ing tight ass on this board than Drakonius? The whole Lakers thing was just a big goof. Like I'd actually "state my case" and then seek the approval of everyone here before I "choose a team." Then this :censored: -ing guy starts laying down rules and telling me what I can and can't do as a fan. He then proceeds to point out how "weak my case" is. I'll give him credit though, his response made the whole thing ten times funnier than it ever should have been.

So you don't need the calf?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

donald-sterling-ad.jpg

And they celebrate with a white player in the ad.

I know it's the star of the team, but still...

Actually Griffin is biracial. Sterling, the Marge Schott of basketball, being on it and it being in MARCH are the issues here.

The bigger issue is that, while the underprivileged kids are getting free tickets, they can't use them unless their parents, in all likelihood also underprivileged, have to buy tickets so the kids can attend the game.

The marketing staff for the Clippers are almost as off-the-cliff stupid as their fanbase.

I don't get it. The drugs must really be taking their toll on me. If it's any consolation, I'm betting it's pretty funny. I just don't get it. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I don't get it. The drugs must really be taking their toll on me. If it's any consolation, I'm betting it's pretty funny. I just don't get it. :D

'Red, fandom is serious! There are rules to this :censored:!

Yeah, there's the tattoos, the running of a gauntlet, chanting, and the sacrifice of a year-old calf under the light of a full moon.

And that's just to get to the "contributor" tier of fandom.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived