2010-11 NBA Season

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

donald-sterling-ad.jpg

And they celebrate with a white player in the ad.

I know it's the star of the team, but still...

Actually Griffin is biracial. Sterling, the Marge Schott of basketball, being on it and it being in MARCH are the issues here.

The bigger issue is that, while the underprivileged kids are getting free tickets, they can't use them unless their parents, in all likelihood also underprivileged, have to buy tickets so the kids can attend the game.

The marketing staff for the Clippers are almost as off-the-cliff stupid as their fanbase.

Also, what is "underprivileged"? Do you have to show up with your free lunch card? Your parents' W2?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Did you know Donald Sterling designs all his ads and flyers himself? When I learned this, Sterling transcended his mere ickiness and attained some sort of absurd, surreal glory. A guy who runs his team into the ground, evicts colored people from his properties, and brings women into the locker room to show off a shower full of "beautiful black bodies" is awful and creepy, but when that guy is cutting out a picture of himself with an x-acto blade to put on a promo for Black History Month (in March), it's just f***ing wondrous, a testament to the spectrum of humanity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does that mean I'm allowed to pick up where I left off with the Lakers in 1991 without being called a frontrunner? B)

While we're on the subject, I'm looking for a team to "call my own" and it would seem the Lakers have to be in the running. Allow me to present my case (or dilemma I guess) with the Lakers.

I became a Lakers fan in 1975 when Kareem was traded there. (I was a Bucks fan before that) For the next 16 years I was a diehard Lakers fan. After Magic retired in 1991 I drifted away from following the NBA closely enough to really claim a "favorite" team. Buy the mid 90's I was paying no attention to the NBA. Last season I started following the NBA again but I am now a fan without a team. I'd like to "have a team" again. Since I already have in 16 years with the Lakers, I suppose it makes the most sense to just pick up where I left off. Despite the fact that I've probably got in more time as a Lakers fan than most of the current Lakers fans around here, I'm not crazy about the idea of "becoming a fan" of the back to back NBA champions. No one wants to be labeled a front runner. (just ask Drakonius :D )

Since rejoining the Lakers will likely be considered front running, I've been looking at some other teams too.

The Knicks: I think it would be cool to be a Knicks fan. I've always liked their uniforms (the traditional ones), I owned a pair of Puma "Clydes" when I was a kid (Walt Frazier's shoes for those of you too young to know what i'm talking about), and I did live in the state of New York (Syracuse) for seven years.

The Bulls: I really enjoyed watching the Bulls when they played Miami the other night, I really got a kick out of that Noah kid, and they have great uniforms.

So those are the three teams I'm interested in. I'll gladly entertain offers from other fan bases. (Except the Celtics. Even though I may not end up back with the Lakers, I still have to honor the fact that I hated the Celtics with an irrational passion for the entire decade of the 80's.)

Odds are that, since I'm from Ohio, someone is going to bring up the Cavs. Here's the thing, even though I'm from Ohio, I've never been interested in being a Cavs fan. After that pathetic display in July there's simply no way in Hell I'm aligning myself with that group. Being a Browns fan is bad enough.

Judges?

Really? Coming from the fan who has 22 favorite teams, and wants to become a Laker fan now?

Become a Lakers fan? Let me tell you something junior, I was a Lakers fan way back when they weren't "THE LAKERS." Back when "Showtime" was that little box on top of the TV. Back when their best forward was Cazzie Russell not James Worthy and the guy who wore number 42 was Lucius Allen. Back when the Dyan Cannon was the court side celebrity at the Forum. Back when Kermit Washington dropped Rudy T. Back when we hoped the Lakers were going to draft that kid from Michigan State. Back when Kareem's acting career consisted of an appearance on "Emergency!" with Randolph Mantooth.

I watched game 6 of the NBA Finals on tape delay. 11:30 pm on WTOL in Toledo Ohio.

I saw this :censored: live bitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2MeGsoxSk

I've earned the right to come back after stepping away for a while. So there. :P

Since you asked, I'll answer, but you did it yourself right here: You're a Lakers fan.

I'd welcome you to the Bulls fanbase, but you'll never have the kind of passion for them that you displayed for the Lakers above. You aren't jumping on a frontrunner's bandwagon. You never left. IMO, of course... since you asked.

I know. As silly as this sounds, and it sounds silly, I realized that when I noticed how pissed I was getting when I was responding to Drakonius. It's embarrassing actually. Anyway... Go Lakers. B)

Since you re-joined the Lakers as a fan, did you see tonight's game against the T-wolves? Held them to 34 points in the 2nd half. 2nd straight game we've held our opponents to 34 points or less in the second half.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Spurs get blown out (kind of) by the Grizz in their first game without Tony Parker due to his injury. He won't be back for at least two weeks. If this is a sign of how SA is going to play without Parker, this might be a golden opportunity for some of the Western elite to make a run for first.

Also, ESPN is reporting Troy Murphy is headed to the Celtics. Good for him. He has always strikes me as one of those good players who never gets any attention because he is quiet and has always been on :censored: teams. Maybe this will be his chance to win something.

And it looks pretty clear that Mike Bibby is headed to the Heat, as they parted ways with Arroyo. I can't remember the last time a decent player played for three different teams within one division in one season, but it will happen if Bibby goes to MIA.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Since you re-joined the Lakers as a fan, did you see tonight's game against the T-wolves? Held them to 34 points in the 2nd half. 2nd straight game we've held our opponents to 34 points or less in the second half.

No, I didn't get to see the game last night. I watched the highlights on NBA.com.

BB52Big.jpg

Wolves set to offer Kevin Love 6 years $70M contract extension.

The Wolves have a bonafide star, & Lord knows they need to do whatever they can to keep whatever star they get.

All they need to do now is to conspire to get two other bonafide stars and make a Minny Big-Three ...

Which is the tough bit, now they don't completely suck! Just have to hope for some lottery luck!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The Wolves have a bonafide star, & Lord knows they need to do whatever they can to keep whatever star they get.

All they need to do now is to conspire to get two other bonafide stars and make a Minny Big-Three ...

Which is the tough bit, now they don't completely suck! Just have to hope for some lottery luck!

They better hope they get Top 3, because this upcoming draft is looking pretty weak from beyond that point. Explains why these teams are giving away draft picks willy nilly.

He's not a great player either... in fact, he can be an extremely infuriating one, especially when the shot clock is running down and he does his usual "ten jab steps and a horrible jump shot" routine instead of actually driving to the hoop and drawing a foul or finishing the play.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Since when?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Since when?

Well they have a better record than Cleveland. But ok, having checked the standings, they do completely suck!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The NBA thread is producing more gems than a South African mine. The pervasive sense of utter cluelessness as of late (myself totally included for thinking Tim Duncan was a top center) has been good for business. Tim Duncan is a league-leading center, being a lifelong Laker fan makes somebody "just like LeBron James," and the Minnesota Timberwolves are a lottery pick away from contention. Someone's passing around stupid pills.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NBA thread is producing more gems than a South African mine. The pervasive sense of utter cluelessness as of late (myself totally included for thinking Tim Duncan was a top center) has been good for business. Tim Duncan is a league-leading center, being a lifelong Laker fan makes somebody "just like LeBron James," and the Minnesota Timberwolves are a lottery pick away from contention. Someone's passing around stupid pills.

Good thing Jigga is around to fact check us all!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Even if you're being sarcastic, I'll take it. You know :censored: is off the rails when I am the voice of reason. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Even if you're being sarcastic, I'll take it. You know :censored: is off the rails when I am the voice of reason. :P

I wasn't being sarcastic! It's a good thing there is a real full on basketball fan around to keep us casuals on our toes!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived