50 Greatest Race Car Liveries

gueman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't disagree with those top 3, or the Cobra Daytona (love that one), but I can't help but wonder where Jeff Gordon's DuPont livery is. Did I miss it?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Can't disagree with those top 3, or the Cobra Daytona (love that one), but I can't help but wonder where Jeff Gordon's DuPont livery is. Did I miss it?

The flamed Gordon cars are the best, especially the new black ones. As for the rainbow one? way too (you know what)

I have better pictures of several of these that I've taken in the last year...

IMHO, my current favorite is the Drayson Racing Lola. I'm surprised the Audi diesels with their silver and red weren't mentioned, in addition to the famous BRE Datsuns. Just about every gearhead I know wants a BRE liveried 240 or 510.

As far as ICONIC, not necessarily best, in NASCRAP, The Tide Machine, Bill Elliot's Coors cars, and Jeff Gordon's rainbow rides should all be included.

WTF is a livery?!

I think it's easier to say paint scheme, but I think people like to use livery to sound more intelligent or something?

Actually we just avoid using the term 'paint scheme' so we don't sound dumb.

# A livery is the specific paint scheme and sticker design used in motorsport, on vehicles, in order to attract sponsorship and to advertise sponsors, e.g., Formula One sponsorship liveries.

# Livery is also the term describing the paint scheme of an aircraft. Most airlines have a standard paint scheme for their aircraft fleet, usually prominently displaying the airline logo or name. From time to time special liveries are introduced, for example prior to big events.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

WTF is a livery?!

I think it's easier to say paint scheme, but I think people like to use livery to sound more intelligent or something?

# A livery is the specific paint scheme and sticker design used in motorsport, on vehicles, in order to attract sponsorship and to advertise sponsors, e.g., Formula One sponsorship liveries.

# Livery is also the term describing the paint scheme of an aircraft. Most airlines have a standard paint scheme for their aircraft fleet, usually prominently displaying the airline logo or name. From time to time special liveries are introduced, for example prior to big events.

I've watched many nascar races and have Nascar 09 for xbox...I have never heard it called a livery before, it's always been a paint scheme

WTF is a livery?!

I've watched many nascar races and have Nascar 09 for xbox...I have never heard it called a livery before, it's always been a paint scheme

Then there is a need to expand your view of your surroundings. NASCAR is still a young racing series compared to other series, so don't take what you watch as the end all.

#1 If you don't know what a livery is, then look it up, but please don't show your ignorance by saying, "WTF is a livery?"

#2 Please don't show your age of 12 years old by saying, "I've watch x amount of NASCAR races and play x box never heard anyone use livery before." Yes, there is more racing than NASCAR.

#3 Don't think because you know or use the word "livery" that you are more intelligent than someone who watches NASCAR.

#4 Please don't come out of the closet by telling everyone how "gay" Jeff Gordon's Rainbow Warrior paint scheme is. It's good you're coming out of the closet, but let's not use a 15 year old cliche statement, plus there are probably 1,000 more mature way to come out of the closet than using the immature Jeff Gordon's Rainbow Warrior scheme is "gay".

#5 About half those paint schemes don't even belong on the list. I'm sorry by that Camel jeep... WHAT?! Oh and Richard Petty's blue superbird? WHAT? And this coming from a Petty fan. Oh and let's not forget that silver Porsche... those aren't great at all, they are just plain. If you want to talk a classic Petty scheme, it's the 72 or 76 STP schemes, or even the 84 scheme he won race #200 with. Where are the great John Force schemes? Where are the great dragster schemes or even a great scheme like the current Mercedes-McLaren.

That's pretty cool, btw it says what a livery is when you first click on it. I just learned that word.

I was surprised more Nascar cars weren't in there, but they had some really cool designs in other race groups as well.

I love that Gulf Ford GT. Such a classic and well blended look.

2ly2w09.jpg

@ Oddball...you bring up a good point. They seemed to ignore a few series, like drag and funny cars, along with the Aussie Touring and Euro Touring classes. Was hoping folks would post their favorites on here.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

There was a distinct lack of NASCAR in that list. I know that there are many more (and older) racing leagues in the world, and they are well represented in the list, but there have been many NASCAR schemes/liveries that deserve to be on that list.

300px-DarrellWaltrip17car1989.jpg

800px-JeffGordon1997Pocono.jpg

1366628043_fba676e093.jpg

pearson_riverside-vi.jpg

And these were just off the top of my head.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

I always liked this one

1987-nascar-4.jpg

Not so much for the design itself, but because it rejected the notion that racing a green car in Nascar was bad luck.

and I was also wondering where the Jeff Gordon rainbow car was. That scheme was iconic and the first one that came to mind when I read the topic title.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Best three NASCAR liveries ever are as follows:

1)-The #28 Holman-Moody Lafayette FORD driven by Fred Lorenzen from 1962-67.

2)-The #21 Wood Brothers FORD/MERCURY cars of the 1960s and 1970s driven by Marvin Panch, Tiny Lund, Cale Yarbrough and David Pearson.

3)-The #22 "Passino Purple" Holman-Moody Young Ford driven by Fireball Roberts in 1963 and 1964.

These cars were beautiful in their simplicity.

Archived