2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Billy B

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets say adieu to the UConn Women's Team with a song that will be stuck in their head.

Don't care. Don't care. Dont' care.

If the men's team loses tomorrow, then it's story.

6uXNWAo.png

It's terrible that NCAA women's basketball gets more coverage than the NHL does....but its probably because of UConn's dynasty.

No, it really isn't. Right or wrong, so much is ratings driven. Want more coverage? Get better ratings.

Also, I really don't think the Women's NCAA tournament gets more coverage than the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

ESPN has the rights to the women's NCAA tournament. They don't have the rights to the NHL anymore. Guess which one makes more financial sense for ESPN to talk about?

ESPN also has rights to the PBA, NHRA and a whole bunch of other :censored: you've never heard of. Your point?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

My point is, ESPN isn't going to give more airtime than necessary to a sport that airs on a rival network. It's the same reason why their March Madness highlights this year have been, like, 2 seconds long.

1)Puckheads complained incessantly about the level of NHL coverage when ESPN was carrying the NHL. I watch a ton of SportsCenter and I think NHL highlights get more burn than Women's BBall. Of course, when they are showing games, they need to do pre- and post-game stuff. Just watch ESPN during the Stanley Cup Finals. If you still tell me that Women's BBall gets more (non-game) TV time on the four-letter network, then you're either full of it, or just lying to further your agenda. :)

2)The NCAA's agreement with CBS/TNT/TBS/TruTV kind of limits the highlights that can be shown on other networks...

Care to throw out some more bull :censored:?

My point is, ESPN isn't going to give more airtime than necessary to a sport that airs on a rival network. It's the same reason why their March Madness highlights this year have been, like, 2 seconds long.

1)Puckheads complained incessantly about the level of NHL coverage when ESPN was carrying the NHL. I watch a ton of SportsCenter and I think NHL highlights get more burn than Women's BBall. Of course, when they are showing games, they need to do pre- and post-game stuff. Just watch ESPN during the Stanley Cup Finals. If you still tell me that Women's BBall gets more (non-game) TV time on the four-letter network, then you're either full of it, or just lying to further your agenda. :)

2)The NCAA's agreement with CBS/TNT/TBS/TruTV kind of limits the highlights that can be shown on other networks...

Care to throw out some more bull :censored:?

1.They just miss NHL 2night especially when ESPN was the one to bow out of negotiations in 2005. At the time, George Bodenheimer said, "given the prolonged work stoppage and the league's TV ratings history, no financial model even remotely supports the contract terms offered."

2. Exactly, that is why they only air still photos during the Olympics or PPV fight which the KO is not shown.

ESPN has the rights to the women's NCAA tournament. They don't have the rights to the NHL anymore. Guess which one makes more financial sense for ESPN to talk about?

ESPN also has rights to the PBA, NHRA and a whole bunch of other :censored: you've never heard of. Your point?

IIRC, the NHL pretty much told ESPN to "stick it" when they were in TV contract negotiations following the 2005 lock-out. That could also factor into why ESPN is trying to bury pro hockey.

6uXNWAo.png

Gregg Marshall also says no to NC State.

No one wants to work for Debbie Yow.

Coaches and agents are talking to Gary Williams, John Feinstein and possibly Ralph Friedgen about her. She does two things right, she balances budgets and knows basketball philosophy since she and her late sister were coaches.

I don't even know about that. She left Maryland in a financial mess.

If you still tell me that Women's BBall gets more (non-game) TV time on the four-letter network, then you're either full of it, or just lying to further your agenda. :)

Well, yeah, non-game-related TV time is in the NHL's favor for sure because they're (technically) a pro sport.

How is the NHL "technically" a pro sport? It's as pro as any other professional league in this country; no technicality involved.

IIRC, the NHL pretty much told ESPN to "stick it" when they were in TV contract negotiations following the 2005 lock-out. That could also factor into why ESPN is trying to bury pro hockey.

Pro hockey does a fine job of burying pro hockey; they don't need ESPN's help.

Anyone else notice how awful the championship t-shirts are? Last years were pretty bad to with the whole "guitar pick" logo in the middle. But this one is just ridiculious, "NO. 1" really? If I was a Uconn fan I might not even buy that.

You're right, but they do have other style available in the NCAA shop that I will eventually buy

nyjets.pngHabs_button.jpg

UConn Huskies 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions

Archived