2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Billy B

The regular season is starting up again in a couple days. Duke is coming into the season how they finished last year, at #1. Harrison Barnes of North Carolina is the first freshman pre-season All-American. Then over at Purdue, Robbie Hummel is out for the season again with another torn ACL.

This is the most excited I've ever been for a college basketball season. I've got my season tickets in the Orange Krush to watch what should be a great team. Illinois is ranked 16th to start the year and even though the Big Ten is stacked this year, they have a shot at the conference title.

So, discuss all your college basketball here, although this probably won't pick up a ton until March.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a Georgia fan I have never been so excited for college basketball.

though Trey Thompkins has a high ankle sprain...2 to 6 weeks. could miss the Old Spice Classic.

watch out though! I have the Dawgs winning 20. most people are ranking them around 25-30. thats better than what the football team can say

The regular season is starting up again in a couple days. Duke is coming into the season how they finished last year, at #1. Harrison Barnes of North Carolina is the first freshman pre-season All-American. Then over at Purdue, Robbie Hummel is out for the season again with another torn ACL.

This is the most excited I've ever been for a college basketball season. I've got my season tickets in the Orange Krush to watch what should be a great team. Illinois is ranked 16th to start the year and even though the Big Ten is stacked this year, they have a shot at the conference title.

So, discuss all your college basketball here, although this probably won't pick up a ton until March.

Not if they keep playing like they have in the Preseason.

It's put up or shut up time for Weber; if that group of now not so young players continues to struggle, the end could be near.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I will probably watch the Maui Classic and Pre-Season NIT since they are on during Thanksgiving, then forget about the sport until February (or post-super Bowl). I used to be really big on "Big Monday", but not so much anymore since I live on the west coast now.

I will probably watch the Maui Classic and Pre-Season NIT since they are on during Thanksgiving, then forget about the sport until February (or post-super Bowl). I used to be really big on "Big Monday", but not so much anymore since i live on the west coast now.

Tell me about it. Games that start at 7:00 are half over before I even get home. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So excited for the upcoming basketball season. If it's anywhere near as unpredictable (sans Duke) as last year, it's gonna be really fun to watch.

Also Syracuse's non-conference has some fun games to watch for me. Northern Iowa, NC State, Michigan State at the Garden, and the usual Cornell matchup are gonna be some really good games to watch. The Orange looked pretty good in their preseason game the other night (if they lose to LeMoyne Tuesday hello undefeated non-conference run again :P ). Lots of fresh faces and Kris Joseph and Scoop leading the way now. Once this team gels together come Big East play, I'd say I can see the Orange making another sweet 16 run with Boeheim's confidence in this group

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I will probably watch the Maui Classic and Pre-Season NIT since they are on during Thanksgiving, then forget about the sport until February (or post-super Bowl). I used to be really big on "Big Monday", but not so much anymore since i live on the west coast now.

Tell me about it. Games that start at 7:00 are half over before I even get home. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

I am at my gym before the "after 12 timeout" if I am lucky during that early game. Better yet, if the game in on the sets. Actually, it lost the true luster when Coach Knight b#tched to not play the late game. Big Monday is not Big Monday where I live.

Not if they keep playing like they have in the Preseason.

It's put up or shut up time for Weber; if that group of now not so young players continues to struggle, the end could be near.

Their play in the two exhibition games has been nowhere close to where they should be, but Syracuse actually lost an exhibition last year and turned out alright. If they keep playing like that against UC-Irvine and the like, then I'll start getting worried.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Also tonight in "your ancestors demand your Seppuku"

Samford 79

Auburn 68

No, they are not in the Pac 10

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also tonight in "your ancestors demand your Seppuku"

Samford 79

Auburn 68

No, they are not in the Pac 10

On the bright side for Auburn, in light of the whole Cam Newton scandal, we can all rest assured knowing that none of the schools basketball players are good enough to have demanded a pay-for-play plan.

IUe6Hvh.png

Speaking of upsets:

UConn - 70

#2 Michigan State - 67

:shocked:

I know in ranking terms it would be an upset, but UConn had one bad year and if it were any other year it would just be two juggernauts battling it out for supremecy

• 2 weeks later...

What is it about University of Illinois athletics? First their football team plays Northwestern in a game with only one usable end zone. Tonight, more strangeness involving their their men's basketball team this time: Their game against Oakland University apparently went on for several minutes before anyone realized that they were playing with a (slightly smaller) women's ball.

CCSLC signature.png

What is it about University of Illinois athletics? First their football team plays Northwestern in a game with only one usable end zone. Tonight, more strangeness involving their their men's basketball team this time: Their game against Oakland University apparently went on for several minutes before anyone realized that they were playing with a (slightly smaller) women's ball.

Honest answer? If it's run by the state of Illinois, it's run by nincompoops. No exceptions.

Today, we are all otaku.

That is not the school's fault, that is the fault of the game officials who should look at the equipment before the game. It is even worse for the officials since a women's ball has "28.5" printed on the ball in at least two places.

Additionally, it shouldn't be said that nobody noticed. The players ALL noticed and told the refs multiple times that something was right with the ball. The refs ignored them. So did the coaches, but the coaches did so from a "stop making excuses and play better" point of view, which I think is forgivable. How the refs don't check that, especially after a couple of complaints boggles the mind.

That said, it's still a little embarrassing nobody caught it before hand.

Archived