NHL Uniforms

capn89

These are really great, and I love your template. Are you planing on doing Winnipeg?

Since the Thrashers flew into a freshly windexed sliding glass door at full speed, yeah, I'm planning on doing the Jets. :P Thanks for the reply.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colorado Avalanche

For the Avs I wanted to eliminate black completely. I was a fan of their old "jagged" look and, like most, dislike the new uniforms. I wanted to keep the home/rode design modern, while adding a classic look for the alternate. I toyed with some different color schemes, even a radical look that eliminated the burgundy... perhaps I'll post them for giggles if anyone is interested.

5882984932_55f5a6bcf2_b.jpg

5882422785_73fcb75be6_b.jpg

Minnesota Wild

I wanted to get the Wild back to a greener look. I was a big fan of their original green jersey and, although their last two red jerseys have been nice, I think they just look better in green. I made a red version of the alternate (I'll post it once I put it on a presentation template), but I wanted to do something different and went with the vintage white/wheat colored jersey.

5882985762_112a0d762d_b.jpg

5882424855_37fa420c2e_b.jpg

For the Flames I decided to drop black and play off the short-lived 90's era uniforms. For the alternate I thought about doing a yellow jersey but most of what I came up with made me think of Ronald McDonald so I went with a red uniform without a single trace of white.

5749133674_9120441ec6_b.jpg

5513300071_0a56f5e838_b.jpg

Most of your jerseys I like, but this set seemed to be the only one that really didn't grab me. First off, you seem to have a lot of striping patterns that resemble a V-shaped stripe down the sleeve, and I can't see Calgary ever taking any element from the Canucks' designs and actually using them. I would imagine a striping pattern more like what they had in the 1980's would be more appropriate with their home and away uniforms. The alternates seem very bland and lifeless, almost as if their trying to emulate the Rangers, and I think as Ronald McDonald as it may look, a modified version of their heritage sweaters would be more appropriate. Otherwise, good job so far, especially on the Devils and Flyers, and I look forward to seeing more from this concept.

I need some thoughts...

I've been trying to decide between four uniforms to use as the Florida Panthers alternate jersey (I'll post the home/away once I put the whole set together. If it helps the home is red, but don't let that affect your thoughts too much as to an alternate jersey as the designs are vastly different between the primary red and the alternate in the graphic below.

5897147518_2d7c1994ef_b.jpg

For the Flames I decided to drop black and play off the short-lived 90's era uniforms. For the alternate I thought about doing a yellow jersey but most of what I came up with made me think of Ronald McDonald so I went with a red uniform without a single trace of white.

( REMOVED CALGARY FLAMES IMAGES )

Most of your jerseys I like, but this set seemed to be the only one that really didn't grab me. First off, you seem to have a lot of striping patterns that resemble a V-shaped stripe down the sleeve, and I can't see Calgary ever taking any element from the Canucks' designs and actually using them. I would imagine a striping pattern more like what they had in the 1980's would be more appropriate with their home and away uniforms. The alternates seem very bland and lifeless, almost as if their trying to emulate the Rangers, and I think as Ronald McDonald as it may look, a modified version of their heritage sweaters would be more appropriate. Otherwise, good job so far, especially on the Devils and Flyers, and I look forward to seeing more from this concept.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. As for the "V" shape; don't forget Calgary's pre-edge era uniforms which featured "V" shaped striping, so you have already seen the Flames use an element similar to the Canucks. Perhaps it's the removal of black that made this set less striking. I could especially see that with the alternate jersey, but I really wanted to try two things with this whole project; A) limiting the use of black and B) try different stylings to the designs, hence the lack of white on the alternate. I thought about (as you said) doing something with their heritage design but it was the McDonaldness to it that turned me away. I'm sure, like all my designs, I'll come back to these in the future for touch-ups and/or overhauls, so I'll keep your thoughts in mind. Thanks again.

I need some thoughts...

I've been trying to decide between four uniforms to use as the Florida Panthers alternate jersey (I'll post the home/away once I put the whole set together. If it helps the home is red, but don't let that affect your thoughts too much as to an alternate jersey as the designs are vastly different between the primary red and the alternate in the graphic below.

5897147518_2d7c1994ef_b.jpg

the red alt (bottom right) seems to be the nicer of the 3. THat would be the one i would most likely buy.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Wow these jerseys in here are excellent... ohh some interesting ones, some really strange looking ones but hey it's all good.. I just wish I could do something like what ya are doing, capn89... very good work indeed!

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Bruins: the gold B just straight up works, as does the dominance of gold on the whites.

Isles: I didn't mention the Isles last time cus frankly, that set wasn't exactly one of my favorites, but this one is striking. Just jumps out at ya. Shoot, the sleeves remind me of this Quebec Rafales-template series somebody here was doing several years ago.

Avs: on the one hand, it aint the old set, but then that wouldn't be much of a concept. On the other hand, it's not the current crap. The oldies reminded me of mountains, the currents remind me of blandness, and these are making me picture snowmageddon all over again. I aint in love with it, but I like it nonetheless.

Wild: all hail the cream, baby. :hockeysmiley:

Panthers: I hate that crest. To me, it's a turd, pure and simple. Faked vintage that failed miserably, this thing IMO basically ruins whatever jersey it's put on. Change the crest and the second yellow would be my suggestion.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On the Panthers alts, I really like the striping on the top right gold jersey. I would buy that one in a heartbeat (if I were a Panthers fan). Good work on the alt logo, too (unless it's an existing one that I'm unaware of. It's that good. I have no idea whether it's the real logo or not. :P).

I do, however, lament the change from Columbia to Dark Royal on your Avalanche set. While the Dark Royal is a very pleasant and attractive color, I think Columbia and Burgundy is one of the best color combos in sports.

I like the blue Panthers' alt.

Your Avalanche striping really connects with the logo.

I think that the Wild 'oatmeal' sweater could use the thin white stripes on the arms, waist, and socks.

Really like the Flames sans black.

Could you take a shot at revamping the actual Flames logo?

It's not nearly as good as the old Atlanta Flames "A".

Yer stuff's great.

I need some thoughts...

(Removed Florida Panthers 4-Alternates Image)

the red alt (bottom right) seems to be the nicer of the 3. THat would be the one i would most likely buy.

Thanks.

Wow these jerseys in here are excellent... ohh some interesting ones, some really strange looking ones but hey it's all good.. I just wish I could do something like what ya are doing, capn89... very good work indeed!

Thanks for the comments. You should try your hand at doing something like this rather than wishing. :P

Yellow really pops, and not a lot of teams use yellow as a primary, to my knowledge. Awesome work.

Thanks. I think I'll have to chalk this up for a vote for each yellow jersey.

I would make bottom right the home and top right the alternate

Well, I already have a home and road completed; my template is just waiting to have an alternate popped on. I actually liked the red jersey (of these four) enough that I tried making a white road version but it looked awful. So yellow (B) or red gets a vote, I'm not sure. ... Yeah, I'll do that.

Bruins: the gold B just straight up works, as does the dominance of gold on the whites.

Isles: I didn't mention the Isles last time cus frankly, that set wasn't exactly one of my favorites, but this one is striking. Just jumps out at ya. Shoot, the sleeves remind me of this Quebec Rafales-template series somebody here was doing several years ago.

Avs: on the one hand, it aint the old set, but then that wouldn't be much of a concept. On the other hand, it's not the current crap. The oldies reminded me of mountains, the currents remind me of blandness, and these are making me picture snowmageddon all over again. I aint in love with it, but I like it nonetheless.

Wild: all hail the cream, baby. :hockeysmiley:

Panthers: I hate that crest. To me, it's a turd, pure and simple. Faked vintage that failed miserably, this thing IMO basically ruins whatever jersey it's put on. Change the crest and the second yellow would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the long reply. I think it's strange that I actually like that newer, alternate panther head logo. I don't like it in the circle, however. I agree those alternate jerseys were gigantic, gimmicky, pieces of ****, but I really liked the panther itself. I could give it a try with the old logo (just the head) and see how it looks.

I like the top right yellow

Thanks.

When it comes to the Panthers alternates, the lower right one is definitely the best.

Thank you as well.

On the Panthers alts, I really like the striping on the top right gold jersey. I would buy that one in a heartbeat (if I were a Panthers fan). Good work on the alt logo, too (unless it's an existing one that I'm unaware of. It's that good. I have no idea whether it's the real logo or not. :P).

I do, however, lament the change from Columbia to Dark Royal on your Avalanche set. While the Dark Royal is a very pleasant and attractive color, I think Columbia and Burgundy is one of the best color combos in sports.

The logo is an existing logo. It's from their blue-on-blue alternate jersey, in the circle logo. I was looking at my files closer (in regard to the Avs) and wow, you're right, my colors were WAY off. I mocked them up quickly with colors closer to the Avs actual colors and the difference is amazing. I plan to put the set together again with the updated colors and post them. Thanks for the thoughts.

I like the blue Panthers' alt.

Your Avalanche striping really connects with the logo.

I think that the Wild 'oatmeal' sweater could use the thin white stripes on the arms, waist, and socks.

Really like the Flames sans black.

Could you take a shot at revamping the actual Flames logo?

It's not nearly as good as the old Atlanta Flames "A".

Yer stuff's great.

I thought about doing a stripe on the Wild's third jersey but them, as minor as it seems, it makes the jersey look exactly like the road, just cream instead of white. Not sure if I could do a good job on the Flames logo, I've never been much of a logo designer, sadly.

---

Ok, so these are the tallies.

Blue (1)

Yellow A (3)

Yellow B (2)

Red (3)

Doesn't prove anything except the blue isn't a top choice, even though it's in my top two haha. I think I may just roll the dice and go with whatever it chooses for me. :P Thanks folks.

Actually cap'n, Blue DID get a vote. (I voted for it).

It's the 'cleanest' of the the bunch.

It's got a Michigan Wolverine feel to it, which is fine by me.

Sometimes I find that yellow and red just blends too much.

Wow, I fail at maths and textual indentertification. lol Thanks for pointing that out.

This is just an update to the actual colors of the previous design as they were considerably off.

5902931470_7118b082cd_b.jpg

5902932014_3a7ec069dd_b.jpg

And for fun: an unused version of the road jersey.

5902370659_293f57444f.jpg

I'll make a decision that is sure to disappoint people about the alternate jersey for the Panthers by the end of the day and I'll post the entire set.

I like the jersey for the blue panthers alt, and the bottom left one ain't bad either. You should consider using those designs (especially the top left, it's very vintage-looking without being crazy like the Flames' Heritage Classic jersey) for other teams later on.

to answer your question, I like the design of the bottom right better than the top right, but I like the colors of the top right better. If you did the bottom right jersey in gold, that'd be a sure winner, but I'll say that top-right is the best one.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived