NHL Uniforms

capn89

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put this together this morning for fun. I typically do the whole "DUDERGUY 88" because when laying out the uniform it's easier to C&P "88" and flip it around without causing extra trouble. This took a bit of extra time but it looks awesome. I may force myself to do this from now on.

5904634859_57ac48ca52_z.jpg

I like the jersey for the blue panthers alt, and the bottom left one ain't bad either. You should consider using those designs (especially the top left, it's very vintage-looking without being crazy like the Flames' Heritage Classic jersey) for other teams later on.

to answer your question, I like the design of the bottom right better than the top right, but I like the colors of the top right better. If you did the bottom right jersey in gold, that'd be a sure winner, but I'll say that top-right is the best one.

Thanks for the reply. I think I may have tried the bottom right in gold. These four that everyone got to look at was what I'd narrowed down my original 14 concepts from lol. They were basically all various colorings of the four. There's even a red version of the blue jersey that I saved because it's nice enough.

like the avs jerseys alot

what NHL game are you playing on your PC by the way?

Thanks. The graphics are set for a template for NHL 2002. I haven't played it in a couple years but I'm so used to doing jerseys this way that it's how I do concepts. Why take the time to learn a new template when I've got 5,306 Files in 368 Folders? That doesn't even count all the stuff I've trashed over the years.

Awesome. I'm glad you went with the blue. Great stuff.

Thanks a lot. It ended up becoming a toss up between the top yellow and blue. I love the red alternate, yes, but the whole "use a different color" thing beat me up and stole my wallet. For whatever reason I thought the blue looked classier.

Thanks. The graphics are set for a template for NHL 2002. I haven't played it in a couple years but I'm so used to doing jerseys this way that it's how I do concepts. Why take the time to learn a new template when I've got 5,306 Files in 368 Folders? That doesn't even count all the stuff I've trashed over the years.

i have that game as well, i've off and on updated the rosters, face packs and roster packs. I used to get a whole bunch of downloaded stuff from Cyber-NHL.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Those templates work really well for concepts. The NHL09 jersey templates are about 1024x1024 px now, so they require a lot of detail and in turn, take up a lot of time.

OttawaSenators.png

the home and road sleeves ARE pretty busy, but the white one is especially so. It's four colors very close together in what will look random while in motion. I'd suggest either changing the yellow section of the sleeve to white on the white jersey, or better yet, make the yellow part of the sleeve blue and make that one single arm section.

It's the Flyers' Edge template and it worked for them because they didn't have the side panels that came to the collar. You could also take that and further separate the two templates by making the red shoulder-sleeve panels on the white jersey white. You've included shoulders in most of your concepts (which I love), so it wouldn't be missed

Oh, and I can't believe I missed this from the last round, but the cat on the third jersey needs whiskers!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

i have that game as well, i've off and on updated the rosters, face packs and roster packs. I used to get a whole bunch of downloaded stuff from Cyber-NHL.

I remember those good old days. I didn't frequent Cyber-NHL too often but I was very active on NHLDepot. It's rather a shame PC gaming is on its last legs because I actually like NHL 11 on Xbox but would love to be able to change all the uniforms and arena graphics like was possible back in 2002.

cap'n...excuse my lack of knowledge- I'm an old fart...

(I can remember the leafs winning the cup)...

But, you got these awesome templates from a game??

Quick answer: yes. Long answer: The original NHL 2002 template looked like this:

5906074796_35cc1e4d1a.jpg

There was one out there with that jersey shading out there, but a lot of people (myself included) found that it didn't look all that nice in the game because it was too dark in places. There was a guy I knew at NHLDepot who'd made a much cleaner template and over the years I've adjusted and altered it over the years to my liking. I actually do my work differently than most people as they would use layers in PhotoShop or something. I have a cheaper program called NeoPaint and I saved versions of the templates as "textures." My jerseys start on a blank template insanely larger than the final product. It gives me room to put in detail that you couldn't otherwise on the smaller template. It looks like this:

5906084074_676c12e3d1_b.jpg

It lays out all the areas on the jersey in relation to where they appear in the game and how they're affected by the stretching and warping when placed over a 3D model. This wasn't easy to figure out and featured a TON of trial and error where I'd make a design and find out how it related in the game, hence the reason why there's a larger gap on the left than the right. The other draw back is that in NHL 2002 you could only design one arm, so having a uniform like the old Thrashers blue jerseys with the "ATLANTA" script was impossible to make. There's more that goes into it, but that was the long answer. I'm not about to type the "Epic Answer." haha

Those templates work really well for concepts. The NHL09 jersey templates are about 1024x1024 px now, so they require a lot of detail and in turn, take up a lot of time.

If you see my response to the poster above, I actually work on a really large template and scale down for NHL 2002. I do remember the later games templates being pretty huge, though.

The alternate looks great but the template you used for the Home and Roads is waaay too busy. Reminds me of the Slug jerseys with it's seemingly random colour blobs.

I installed the jerseys in the game just for the sake of this post so you could see them in action. This may or may not change your mind. Just give me a minute to post them.

5905506409_c900dae92e_z.jpg

Owen Nolan is now Steven Weiss, and Teemu Selanne is now David Booth? :P

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

the home and road sleeves ARE pretty busy, but the white one is especially so. It's four colors very close together in what will look random while in motion. I'd suggest either changing the yellow section of the sleeve to white on the white jersey, or better yet, make the yellow part of the sleeve blue and make that one single arm section.

It's the Flyers' Edge template and it worked for them because they didn't have the side panels that came to the collar. You could also take that and further separate the two templates by making the red shoulder-sleeve panels on the white jersey white. You've included shoulders in most of your concepts (which I love), so it wouldn't be missed

Oh, and I can't believe I missed this from the last round, but the cat on the third jersey needs whiskers!

I actually wanted the away jersey to be all white but without the red shoulders there's no red. Then I decided that the way I did it now they're basically the same jersey only the torso is either red (for the home) or white. An easy swap. I tried changing the yellow part of the sleeve on the away to blue and, although it looks nice (just as good as it is) at that point then I would say "I might as well make it a straight line" and it would lose it's identity. One thing I think I could do if it was absolutely needed is give the front a similar treatment that I gave the back in terms of the side panels. The coloring cuts off on the back where on the front, as you said, it goes all the way to the collar. Thanks for the input. :)

Teemu Selanne is now Brian Campbell, and Owen Nolan is now David Booth? :P

It's a crazy effing world! Good eye, by the way. ;)

I remember those good old days. I didn't frequent Cyber-NHL too often but I was very active on NHLDepot. It's rather a shame PC gaming is on its last legs because I actually like NHL 11 on Xbox but would love to be able to change all the uniforms and arena graphics like was possible back in 2002.

TBN (formerly NHLDepot) is still somewhat active with modding NHL 09 so I wouldn't say PC modding is completely out the window.

OttawaSenators.png

For the Flyers I mixed their current/throwback with their old edge look and the alternate is completely different.

5267115154_99307001a8_b.jpg

5266507969_67a6b123fb_b.jpg

For the Rangers I used a simple "classic" look (ala team usa, and now their current third) and the alternate is recolor of a previous Rangers' third which was red in color and featured the liberty logo. Since I made the Liberty head the primary logo the Rangers script returns on the alternate. As for the shoulder patches, liberty head on the third while "NY" stylized like their old school "New York" script logo.

5267117640_35a99eb47b_b.jpg

5266510449_af6b500bd8_b.jpg

Wow these are excellent, being a Flyers fan im a huge fan of the usage of the liberty bell. Im still learning photoshop but i made a few flyers ones with liberty bell patches of my own but yours are so professional looking. Is it stil possible for me to do this with nhl 2002, I'm still newer to this so this seems a bit difficult for me.

[images]

why the booth and campbell clones? also i noticed the 51 seems backwards on the right arms on the sleeves.

i also spent some time getting downloads from NHL-Depot. Usually what Cyber-NHL didn't have, I got from NHLDepot or Thunderpuck or DoubleMinorDownloads.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

TBN (formerly NHLDepot) is still somewhat active with modding NHL 09 so I wouldn't say PC modding is completely out the window.

That's good to hear that it's still alive, I just meant that PC gaming is dying out, unless you play MMOs. NHL 2009 was the last game EA released for PC isn't it?

Wow these are excellent, being a Flyers fan im a huge fan of the usage of the liberty bell. Im still learning photoshop but i made a few flyers ones with liberty bell patches of my own but yours are so professional looking. Is it stil possible for me to do this with nhl 2002, I'm still newer to this so this seems a bit difficult for me.

Yeah, there's nothing stopping you from modding NHL 2002, or anything up to 2009 I believe. Just a matter of learning all the stuff that goes into it. It can be time consuming especially considering... (see below)

[images]

why the booth and campbell clones? also i noticed the 51 seems backwards on the right arms on the sleeves.

i also spent some time getting downloads from NHL-Depot. Usually what Cyber-NHL didn't have, I got from NHLDepot or Thunderpuck or DoubleMinorDownloads.

For the sake of getting some preview shots in-game I installed jerseys with the names and numbers already on the jersey graphic (as opposed to taking the ridiculous amount of time to do back/arm numbers and letters, etc) which also explains why one arm has numbers that appear backwards since the 2002 graphics use a template that only has one arm.

And here they are. Thoughts?

5905060592_0be6183d9a_b.jpg

5905060166_12e0a3065a_b.jpg

I love the alternate template. The sleeves on the white and red jerseys look weird to me.

My only beef with the alternate is you used the simplified Panther head from the actual Panthers light blue third jerseys. In you're set here it suffers from the same problem as it does in reality. In addition to being inferior in every way to the original Panther(in my opinion as a Panthers fan), it's totally out of place with the original leaping cat logo. You could just use the head of the original logo, they used to use it at center ice at the BAC.

And here they are. Thoughts?

5905060592_0be6183d9a_b.jpg

5905060166_12e0a3065a_b.jpg

I love the alternate template. The sleeves on the white and red jerseys look weird to me.

My only beef with the alternate is you used the simplified Panther head from the actual Panthers light blue third jerseys. In you're set here it suffers from the same problem as it does in reality. In addition to being inferior in every way to the original Panther(in my opinion as a Panthers fan), it's totally out of place with the original leaping cat logo. You could just use the head of the original logo, they used to use it at center ice at the BAC.

and it needs whiskers. It's a cat without whiskers! That detail bugs me the most about their third jersey.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived