New York Jets fans singing "Sweet Caroline"

lightning25

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last night, I heard fans singing "Sweet Caroline" in the Jets game.

If any of you are wondering what the big deal about this is, Boston Red Sox fans have a tradition of singing "Sweet Caroline" in the eighth inning.

Considering that teams from Boston and New York are rivals, it bothers me that the Jets fans are singing a song that is part of a Boston tradition.

Just wondering what everyone else thought of this.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't Care.

That said, the damn "tradition" started in 2004 and now infects stadia throughout America. I equate singing Sweet Caroline at a sporting event with wearing a pink hat.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Who gives a crap? The Mets played it in the 8th inning for a couple years, so it's not like a New York team hasn't done it. Not to mention a whole bunch of teams outside of Boston do it too.

Oh that annoyed me so much when they did that.

Its the Red Sox thing, we don't need to copy it, or we can make our own song, why not bringing back the Curley Shuffle?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Who gives a crap? The Mets played it in the 8th inning for a couple years, so it's not like a New York team hasn't done it. Not to mention a whole bunch of teams outside of Boston do it too.

Oh that annoyed me so much when they did that.

Its the Red Sox thing, we don't need to copy it, or we can make our own song, why not bringing back the Curley Shuffle?

Finally, someone agrees with me! :D

Don't Care.

That said, the damn "tradition" started in 2004 and now infects stadia throughout America. I equate singing Sweet Caroline at a sporting event with wearing a pink hat.

Where, in Cleveland? It's not that old, but not that young either. It has been played at Fenway as long as I can remember going there; I think it started in the mid-late 90s.

To me, this is kind of pathetic -- I don't care at all if or which other teams sing it (notably, the Rays are curiously one of them), but seriously, can't you find a better song to play? I get into it at Fenway, but I feel a little guilty every time. It's a horrible song. Picking a "tradition" song is a great opportunity to create a unique aspect of your game-day experience (like Wisconsin and Jump Around), so what is the point of copying someone else's that features a :censored:ty song? Because people know what to do during the chorus? Lame.

Okay, I get it, the Red Sox aren't the only team that plays that song.

I am sorry to all Jets fans or fans of any other teams that play that song in their stadium.

To any mods, please graveyard this thread.

I wasn't calling this thread pathetic, if that's what you "get." I'm a Red Sox fan too, I was saying that I don't care if the Jets play it but them playing it is lame because there are much better songs out there that deserve to be played.

I am sorry to all Jets fans or fans of any other teams that play that song in their stadium.

I wasn't calling this thread pathetic, if that's what you "get." I'm a Red Sox fan too, I was saying that I don't care if the Jets play it but them playing it is lame because there are much better songs out there that deserve to be played.

I wasn't directing my comment at you, first of all, and I'm not getting that anyone called this thread "pathetic".

Why I said that was that I now realize that it's not just the Red Sox that do that. The whole reason that I started this thread was that I thought the Red Sox were the only team that did that, and I now realize that that is incorrect.

Don't Care.

Don't mean to nitpick, but it started in the '90s.

Personally, I like having it played. Watching intoxicated Bostonians singing it adds a new level of hilariousness to any game.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I wasn't directing my comment at you, first of all, and I'm not getting that anyone called this thread "pathetic".

Why I said that was that I now realize that it's not just the Red Sox that do that. The whole reason that I started this thread was that I thought the Red Sox were the only team that did that, and I now realize that that is incorrect.

No problem; your tone changed dramatically from right before to right after my post, so I was just making sure you didn't take mine the wrong way.

Don't Care.

Don't mean to nitpick, but it started in the '90s.

Personally, I like having it played. Watching intoxicated Bostonians singing it adds a new level of hilariousness to any game.

OK then, 2004 must have been when every frontrunning bandwagoning idiot saw it and concluded that it is de rigeur for all sports events.

Actually, when I think of some of the annoying traditions Cub fans have, this should be seen as further evidence why the Cubs can never be allowed to win the World Series.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived