New York Jets fans singing "Sweet Caroline"

lightning25

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All traditions are kind of annoying, when you get down to brass tacks. The whole notion of habitually doing something simply for the sake of habitually doing something is superficially ridiculous and pointless. People like to do it, though. If it significantly enhances the experience you've purchased to get up and sing a song together with 41,000 strangers, hey, whatever.

As for Cub traditions, I like Celebrity Stretch and Go Cubs Go, but all that goat-worship crap has to end.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't Care.

That said, the damn "tradition" started in 2004 and now infects stadia throughout America. I equate singing Sweet Caroline at a sporting event with wearing a pink hat.

Don't mean to nitpick, but it started in the '90s.

Personally, I like having it played. Watching intoxicated Bostonians singing it adds a new level of hilariousness to any game.

OK then, 2004 must have been when every frontrunning bandwagoning idiot saw it and concluded that it is de rigeur for all sports events.

Actually, when I think of some of the annoying traditions Cub fans have, this should be seen as further evidence why the Cubs can never be allowed to win the World Series.

Probably. 2004 was great for obvious reasons, but the landscape of fans changed so much. Sox games were now the "thing-to-do" in Boston (and to some extent, still are) and it rushed the blue-collar crowd right out the door. Rising ticket prices also had a say in that. The amount of Sox fans also seemed to double. Couldn't possibly tell you why, though. :rolleyes:

Speaking of, is the northeast the only region which seems to have the most bandwagon fans? Or have others experienced this as well? Seems since January, I've met too many people who claim to have been "New Orleans Saints fans forever" to even count. I know full well that this is entirely off-topic.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I heard it being played at the West Virginia-Pitt game and I shook my head and thought, "Do you people have no morals or pride." It's a horrible song, by a horrible entertainer, and completely screams "I'm feminine" and yet you have this being played at male sporting events? Really? No male should be caught, let alone even think about singing that song. Then again, no human should sing that horrible song and be allowed to live. It's one of the worst songs in the history of mankind.

I heard it being played at the West Virginia-Pitt game and I shook my head and thought, "Do you people have no morals or pride." It's a horrible song, by a horrible entertainer, and completely screams "I'm feminine" and yet you have this being played at male sporting events? Really? No male should be caught, let alone even think about singing that song. Then again, no human should sing that horrible song and be allowed to live. It's one of the worst songs in the history of mankind.

Dude, you've got problems. Serious motherfvcking problems.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's a horrible song, by a horrible entertainer, and completely screams "I'm feminine"

Coveting an underage Caroline Kennedy is something, but it's not effeminate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is not a big deal. At all.

Sweet Caroline is sung at Twins games frequently. Based on what I've read here, most stadiums are unoriginal enough to use this song.

However, the Rockies fans have a tradition of singing "Hey Baby!"......the one that goes "Oooh! Ahh!" They are the only team to use that, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dude, you've got problems. Serious motherfvcking problems.

Honestly, the guy cracks me up. He is one angry dude isn't he?

BB52Big.jpg

You know what was funny when they did it at Shea, some fans would start booing. I was proud to be among the booers.

Of course that led to the Mets trying an on line poll for a replacement song, and some jack ass stuffed the ballot box and the Mets were Rick Rolled because of it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You know what was funny when they did it at Shea, some fans would start booing. I was proud to be among the booers.

Of course that led to the Mets trying an on line poll for a replacement song, and some jack ass stuffed the ballot box and the Mets were Rick Rolled because of it.

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules, and so do I. A full commitment's what I'm thinking of. You wouldn't get this from any other guy. I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling, gotta make you understand...

^_^

(Click it! You know you wanna! :P)

6fQjS3M.png

You are all missing a very important fact - Neil Diamond is from New York. Brooklyn specifically.

Also, according to this News article, the song has been played by the team during the 8th inning since 2002. Since the song was released in 1969, I have a sneaking suspicion that another team might have played it and their fans sung along. Specifically, I played lacrosse at Siena College and, from 1996-1999, the song was played at our games and the fans (and players) sang along. Bump, bump, bump!

Rob

Archived