DeFrank's NFL Redesign

DeFrank

Thanks guys.

I't's so damn annoying how the stripes always lose their stroke length when I enlarge the uniform. The shoulder pattern is a little hard to get from this, but the idea is that right in the middle, its very wide, but it tapers at both ends. So imagine the pants stripe with a reflection. And concerning the white face-mask, I sort of delegated blue (although I love the color) to an accent on the home and away combos. It never is the actual stripe or number, but rather the stroke, unlike the current Panthers away uniforms. So a blue facemask looked odd as hell as did the black. White just fit with the scheme of the uniforms.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Panthers concepts are strong. I actually like the hard contrast that the white facemask makes with the black shell. Goes well with the numbers and striping.

I don't think that the Packers numbers are the best choice for them though. Everything else is rather contemporary (in a classic way) but those numbers are almost a throwback. I'd go with a more standard block or a custom (but not flashy) font. Something Texans-ish or maybe Chargers-ish.

Also, I'm a big believer that if you have a colored collar, you need colored cuffs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually used just Varsity Block H or something, didn't realize it was the Packers. But do any of you guys have thoughts on the comment right above the team post? I need a direction with this thread and my redesign and I just thought I could get some advice...

And concerning the cuffs, I went back and forth on those... I might put them in an update...

So Update Changes could include...

-Black facemask

-Varsity B (regular) numbers.

-Collar colored cuffs.

-Thicker strokes.

-Anything else?

potd 10/20/12

Colored cuffs in addition to sleeve or shoulder striping looks terrible. Colored cuffs in general look terrible, unless there's a design element in them (stripes or pattern), and in all likelihood the cuffs and collar should match in that case.

As far as the strokes, to scale it up, go to Object > Transform > Scale. Click the check-box for 'Scale Strokes and Effects' and click OK. The strokes will always increase proportionally with how much you scale it. However, the template really is designed to be used at the size it was created. In my opinion, your images are much too large.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

God, I cant wait for the NFL to finally get Nike jerseys.

You act like things are going to be different. Except for the logo on the sleeve, don't expect too much to change. The NFL is king, and it makes the rules. It's not likely the NFL is going to back down to Nike's vision of the future. It has too much clout.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Colored cuffs in addition to sleeve or shoulder striping looks terrible. Colored cuffs in general look terrible, unless there's a design element in them (stripes or pattern), and in all likelihood the cuffs and collar should match in that case.

As far as the strokes, to scale it up, go to Object > Transform > Scale. Click the check-box for 'Scale Strokes and Effects' and click OK. The strokes will always increase proportionally with how much you scale it. However, the template really is designed to be used at the size it was created. In my opinion, your images are much too large.

So your saying I should leave them as is when I convert each to PDF and then PNG? Sounds good. And that is why I didn't use colored cuffs.

potd 10/20/12

Very nice. I can definitely tell your concepts have been improving over when you first posted on these boards, so that's always good to see. Some of your designs are a little strange... mostly the Eagles having gold in their uniforms, and while I do agree with BBTV when it comes to having both colored cuffs and collars there's nothing so far that I absolutely cringe at. So, overall, I rather like your take on some of the teams, specifically the Steelers and their font. They should've adopted that instead of the thrift-store font they current use.

You act like things are going to be different. Except for the logo on the sleeve, don't expect too much to change. The NFL is king, and it makes the rules. It's not liekly the NFL is going to back down to Nike's vision of the future. It has too much clout.

No, I don't think much is going to be different design wise or team color wise, but I love Nike jerseys and I love their jersey styles and jersey quality so much more than Reebok. That on itself is already different, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Very nice. I can definitely tell your concepts have been improving over when you first posted on these boards, so that's always good to see. Some of your designs are a little strange... mostly the Eagles having gold in their uniforms, and while I do agree with BBTV when it comes to having both colored cuffs and collars there's nothing so far that I absolutely cringe at. So, overall, I rather like your take on some of the teams, specifically the Steelers and their font. They should've adopted that instead of the thrift-store font they current use.

Thanks! The gold with the eagles... I was making the designs and my mom looked over and said "it needs some gold" and I thought it was a great idea. And it's good that you don't cringe at anything :P

You act like things are going to be different. Except for the logo on the sleeve, don't expect too much to change. The NFL is king, and it makes the rules. It's not liekly the NFL is going to back down to Nike's vision of the future. It has too much clout.

No, I don't think much is going to be different design wise or team color wise, but I love Nike jerseys and I love their jersey styles and jersey quality so much more than Reebok. That on itself is already different, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I agree with SP00, it's going to be nice to see some flashy uniform cuts with the swooshy.

potd 10/20/12

But... you're not going to be wearing the jerseys, so how is that relevant from a fan's perspective. Seems to me that from a fan's perspective, deign is the only thing that's relevant.

But... you're not going to be wearing the jerseys, so how is that relevant from a fan's perspective. Seems to me that from a fan's perspective, deign is the only thing that's relevant.

:wacko: Sir. They are getting Nike. Different company, different style, different quality. No matter if it's a game issued jersey for the team or apparel jerseys made for the consumer. It's going to be different. You say not much is going to change. Well maybe not, maybe yes. The team colors/design on the jerseys maybe/likely will stay the same, but it's still going to be different, because the model of the jerseys will now be Nike, not Reebok. For both the game issued jerseys and the consumer jerseys. So, if you will put a Nike Saints consumer jersey next to a Reebok Saints consumer issue, of course there is a difference. Even though the colors of the Saints team might stay the same.

The sole fact that it will now become Nike, is already different on itself. And because of my love for Nike and love their gear, I am looking forward in seeing the NFL using Nike jerseys. So, it is relevant. I dont get the point you are trying to make.

Just think about the NBA. The Spurs for example have been wearing the same jersey design/colors for the last ten years. First they had Nike, then Adidas. But even though the first look of the Spurs design hasn't changed, the jersey itself and the model of the jerseys has changed.

And how do you know if im not wearing the jerseys? I wear game issued jerseys all the time.

:wacko: Sir. They are getting Nike. Different company, different style, different quality. No matter if it's a game issued jersey for the team or apparel jerseys made for the consumer. It's going to be different. You say not much is going to change. Well maybe not, maybe yes. The team colors/design on the jerseys maybe/likely will stay the same, but it's still going to be different, because the model of the jerseys will now be Nike, not Reebok. For both the game issued jerseys and the consumer jerseys. So, if you will put a Nike Saints consumer jersey next to a Reebok Saints consumer issue, of course there is a difference. Even though the colors of the Saints team might stay the same.

The sole fact that it will now become Nike, is already different on itself. And because of my love for Nike and love their gear, I am looking forward in seeing the NFL using Nike jerseys. So, it is relevant. I dont get the point you are trying to make.

Just think about the NBA. The Spurs for example have been wearing the same jersey design/colors for the last ten years. First they had Nike, then Adidas. But even though the first look of the Spurs design hasn't changed, the jersey itself and the model of the jerseys has changed.

And how do you know if im not wearing the jerseys? I wear game issued jerseys all the time.

Oh. So your biased by a love for Nike. I get it now. You know a lot of the stuff Nike, UA, and adidas make comes from the same manufacturers and then is printed with a different logo, right? Their stuff isn't as different as you might think. But, as far as proprietary technology goes, Nike isn't even the leader in football at this point.

Anyway, DeFrank. You know you don't need to convert to .pdf before saving your .png, right? When you're done creating your image in Illustrator, Go to File > Save for Web, and you can save your .png right from your Illustrator file.

Oh. So your biased by a love for Nike. I get it now. You know a lot of the stuff Nike, UA, and adidas make comes from the same manufacturers and then is printed with a different logo, right? Their stuff isn't as different as you might think. But, as far as proprietary technology goes, Nike isn't even the leader in football at this point.

Who said they are or are not the leader in football? :wacko: I dont really care who the leader is or why etcetera.. Thats not even what it was about. The only thing I said was that I am looking forward to the NFL getting Nike jerseys, that's all. I don't get the discussion or the reason you bring these things up. What are you trying to do? Provoking a discussion about Nike vs. Reebok? Or just bashing something, for the sake of being negative :)

Maybe you just have something against Nike?

Who said they are or are not the leader in football? :wacko: I dont really care who the leader is or why etcetera.. Thats not even what it was about. The only thing I said was that I am looking forward to the NFL getting Nike jerseys, that's all. I don't get the discussion or the reason you bring these things up. What are you trying to do? Provoking a discussion about Nike vs. Reebok? Or just bashing something, for the sake of being negative :)

Maybe you just have something against Nike?

I don't have anything against Nike. I think they make some pretty nice products, but Reebok, UA and adidas make basically the same products, so I bring that up whenever people go Nike-wild. Nike is a marketing company who makes sportswear. They position that sportswear in such a way that to the buyer it feels superior to and more bada$$ than the other brands' sportswear. The other brands do it as well, but not to the same degree.

More than anything, I just think it's funny that people are counting down the days to Nike's takeover of the NFL contract as if they're going to be the visual savior of the NFL.

DeFrank: Where are the 'grime marks' coming from?

I used to use a screen dimmer that would make the backlight more yellowish after sundown so my eyes wouldn't feel crappy, but it screwed up what was considered white because it would change back and forth. 250, 255, it was crazy. In some cases, when I enlarge, I accidentally leave out like one white mark (that now stays pure white) an then I just background erase it in photoshop before saving it to PNG.

And concerning this thread as a whole, I put up a post right above the Panthers post on the page before, would you mind letting me know what you think about what I asked? Thanks ^_^

I do plan on making Redskins updates sometime in the future, probably after my personal logo gets finished but before my 9th team. Some design wise, some appearance wise (different players, less options, cleaner lines).

potd 10/20/12

Archived