Changing Uniforms

Bob5150

It seems to me that teams tend to change their uniforms/logos after a season or two of sucess, especially if the team had been mired in mediocrity for a while. Teams like the Bengals and Falcons come to mind. The process for changing your uniform is supposed to take quite a while, though. Do you think teams get the idea to change their uniforms after a good season, thinking that they'll have more exposure, or do you think it's just coincidence that teams are changing their look after a season of sucess?

I think that might be the case, the Bronco's did it too back after the first super bowl.

Didn't the Broncos change BEFORE they won the Super Bowl? I thought their current look started the season they won their first Super Bowl.

I saw, I came, I left.

I think that might be the case, the Bronco's did it too back after the first super bowl.

Didn't the Broncos change BEFORE they won the Super Bowl? I thought their current look started the season they won their first Super Bowl.

[Ed McMahon voice]yes, you are correct sir. ha ha haa

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

the Patriots changed to the current uniforms at least a season before the first Super Bowl victory in 2002. The Giants changed in 2000, the season they went to the SB.

I think most teams change to either a) sell more merchandise or B) to exorcise the demons of past failures and start fresh

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

i know of at least one example that never happened: a Packers change we've gone over several times...in 93 it was reported that Wolf and Holmgren were mulling a change to the uniforms...the mustard gold that is the Pack's calling card would have been replaced with a-a gold similar to the 49ers' current shade, or b-a gold similar to the pants worn with the 1943 throwbacks in 94. the helmet would be plain gold with a green facemask and a green G outlined in white, the jerseys would have been green at home and white on the road, numbers would have been outlined in gold and have the G on each sleeve instead of striping, and the pants would likely have been plain gold like the Rams' current pants. thankfully, this never happened.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

For those who are interested in how teams make changes, here's how long it takes:

• Major League Baseball - Before May 1st of the current season for the following season.
  • National Football League, National Hockey League, Major League Soccer - One full season before the change.
  • National Basketball Association - Two full seasons before proposed change, unless there is an ownership change or franchise shift, then it becomes one full season.

I could go on with this, but it's legal mumbo-jumbo and this-and-that with designers, but you get the point.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Major League Baseball - Before May 1st of the current season for the following season.

So the baseball deadline's already here... anyone got any leads or inside info? :) Seems really early for that, even for this board. I don't seem to remember the Padres and Jays being leaked here May 1 last year.

Major League Baseball - Before May 1st of the current season for the following season.

So the baseball deadline's already here... anyone got any leads or inside info? :) Seems really early for that, even for this board. I don't seem to remember the Padres and Jays being leaked here May 1 last year.

That would be a leak at light speed, seeing as though the deadline hasn't even passed yet...

P.S. - I get the distinct feeling this is going to morph into another "This team needs a complete overhaul" thread...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

I could go on with this, but it's legal mumbo-jumbo and this-and-that with designers, but you get the point.

It also gives their merchandising arms time to flog off the last of the current gear before the new image gets revealed...and that stock suddenly becomes discount fodder.

Getting back to the rules of uniform design, some teams like a minor change simular to what the Colorado Rockies did with alternate hats this year, and some teams like the San Diego Padres decided as they moved to a new stadium to completely overhaul their look. And occasionally, if a franchise moves (like the seemingly endless possibility with the Montreal Expos every year for the last five), the league would suspend the rules and give the owner a few weeks after official approval to change everything (Logo, name, etc.) so they can be ready when preseason camps or spring training starts.

"The Bruins have been all downhill ever since they changed from those timeless classic solid white/solid black uniforms back in 1995. The Bruins don't dress like an Original Six team anymore, they dress like an expansion team."

You're right. When I first saw them, I disliked what they wore. That was one uniform that if it wasn't broken, then it didn't need to be fixed.

[Ed McMahon voice]yes, you are correct sir. ha ha haa

Actually, I think the Broncos did change their colors the year they went to their first Super Bowl (against the Cowboys in 1977). Before then, they wore a paler blue and more of a reddish-orange.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

National Basketball Association - Two full seasons before proposed change, unless there is an ownership change or franchise shift, then it becomes one full season.

So there's a shot the Suns, soon to be under new management, might get new unis in the near future? Hallelujah!

Archived