2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

Actually doing more research...Colorado was using black and gold form 1959 until 1981. Then they used the sky blue and gold until '85 when the athletic teams wanted black back.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there is significant historical basis and the argument that it was done because the fans thought it was "cool" is bupkis.

Alright then, I'm wrong.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

It may have started with the University of Michigan back in the early 90s. The Fab 5 used to wear black socks, even though Michigan's colors are blue and maize.

As far as pro teams go, I think it may have been the Atlanta Falcons. Jerry Glanville had them switch from red jerseys to black ones, and he used to wear black from head to toe on the sidelines, he felt he looked more like a "bad ass".

It could also have been the White Sox, who changed from navy and red to black and silver around the same time. I could have sworn they called their alternate jerseys the "black Sunday jerseys".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The fab five started BFBS :).

I was seriously just about to say "umm Michigan duh!" to that guy who was talking about wearing black socks before the Mets hahaha you beat me to it

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

Well there you have it. One of the most traditional programs on record started one of the most despised fads amongst these boards. Oh the irony.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Actually doing more research...Colorado was using black and gold form 1959 until 1981. Then they used the sky blue and gold until '85 when the athletic teams wanted black back.

This picture of the basketball team of 1906 implies they were using it even earlier.

Colorado_Buffaloes_1906_Basketball.jpg

Many teams used black back then. It was cheaper to make than blue or red.

Well there you have it. One of the most traditional programs on record started one of the most despised fads amongst these boards. Oh the irony.

The Fab Five was Michigan basketball, not football.

As you've pointed out with the mets, it was not just regulated to football.

But your argument about it being "one of the most traditional programs" is invalid. Michigan football is not Michigan basketball. They are two separate programs.

But your argument about it being "one of the most traditional programs" is invalid. Michigan football is not Michigan basketball. They are two separate programs.

With the exception of the fab 5, not really.

This is gone on far enough, he got you on that.

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

In 1985 the Colorado athletic department gave the athletic teams a choice, sky blue or black for their uniforms?...they chose black. So Colorado has been using black since '85.

But according to Kevin, since it's not part of there entire heritage, and the fact that it's not an official color, it's BFBS.

And ironically, the U. of Colorado added Black (along with two shades of Gray) to the official color palette just recently:

ColoradoUOf_INS_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

For good measure, the official athletic colors:

ColoradoUOf_ATH_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Archived